Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Hair up...or hair down?

Discussion in 'Styling & Hair Care Tips for AGA Sufferers' started by kitkatkitkat3, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

Wear it down when youre at home..... :) that will give it a break..

2. I did it!! I wore my hair down today for the first time in ages :jump:

I had it up this morning in the gym, then I came back and washed it. Lost around 20 in the shower, and then let my hair air dry naturally and then left it down.

I started to see hairs falling on my shoulders every minute and became a bit upset, but I decided I could either let all the loose hairs from the wash fall out over the course of the day, or give it a really good brush and get as many as possible out in one go. It wasn't pleasant - I did about 6 or 7 strokes of the brush and got about 60 hairs which made a reasonable sized ball but I just grabbed it and flushed it.

I've been out and about today shopping and stuff and it's been okay!! I feel much better about it and am going to try and do it more :)

3. VANESA

VANESA Guest

I know what you mean.
    About 5 years ago I had my first TE - ie the first time my hair started to fall out and it was so thick (the diamter of hair was much thicker than now, very coarse) that at the end of a shower it looked like an animal had died in the plug hole .. no joke,
    Hair was all around the house..

I wa so stupid or slow on the up take or whatever ... that it took a few months for me to realise this was a permanent thing and that something was wrong and to do somehthing about it!!! Looking back how stupid I was.... and that I might lose my hair like my twin brother... it wa so thick I never thought I would lose my hair...especially us born with thick hair...

Anyway only last year I was diagnosed with insulin resistance ie PCOS so it was simplye my hair loss gene reacting with the higher free testosterone I had due to the pcos (in other words even with the hair loss gene if my hormones were normal I woudln't lose the hair till much closer to peri menopuase or menopause when hormones change...

sigh.. this damn PcOS...

4. moco

moco Guest

I nearly always wear my hair down with a side part because if it's back from my face the loss at the front is too nocitable. I've been letting it air dry for the past few days and it makes it look so much thicker. Giving it a break from the hair dryer can only be a good thing too.

5. Moco – I have a similar patch at the front to you – have you seen my pics? I usually wear mine up in a pony with a side part to hide it.

I tried to wear my hair down for work today for the first time in weeks and weeks. I didn’t do that well. I made it until about 11.30am then put it up in a ponytail. I guess 4 hours is better than nothing. I know it sounds dumb but I make stupid deals with myself – I know I’ll get upset if I lose a load of hair, so I tell myself to wear it loose until I lose around 60, then I can put it up. Today I lost around 40 brushing and styling, and another 3 or 4 after that and caved in. I know it’s not a lot really, but I just figure its easier to get on with my day and not think about it than it is to get myself upset. Maybe next time I’ll make it to 12.30!

6. moco

moco Guest

Does your hair actually look better up or down?

I don't know if I can do a ponytail with a side split as I have a round munchkin face that a side split makes rounder, and I think a side split with my hair pulled back too would ruin me altogether. :shock:

7. mandymane

mandymane Guest

I usually wear my hair down because when I pull my sides back you can see my scalp at my sides (does anyone else have that)? I put my in a clip though when I wear it up, not a ponytail. My hair is so thin in a ponytail anymore, it just makes me depressed. I try to bunch it all up in a clip on the top of my head so it makes it look like i have hair, but it is still so sparse compared to what I had 2 months ago even. I don't know what is happening, and my texture is worse than it ever has been. Any thoughts as to what is going on?

8. I dont know...I always used to wear it down with a centre part, but ever since I started wearing it up with a side part I've had so many compliments that I look pretty...maybe the side part does something to emphasise my good features?! But I want to wear it down more..I miss having it around my face. Little steps and I should get there - am home from work now and I took it down as soon as I came in... again this is something I havent done before...

You could try the side part - I bet you look lovely, and not munchkin like at all!

9. mandymane

mandymane Guest

KitKat - So you are talking about wearing yours up (your own hair right) not a topper or a wig, correct? I just want to clarify that. Do you have pictures? I have been on this site in the past and more now and I haven't really seen anyones pictures. Where are they all at?

10. Yep thats right. My hair loss is very early stage and I've hopefully caught it before it gets bad. If you click on my username you can see the topic I've posted in most often called My Weird hair loss or something - in there is a pic of the front of my head - dont look at the one on the first page - its massive! Theres a smaller pic further in.
    I have a patch like that at the front, and a similar one at the top and general loss of volume all over.