Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

hairloss as side effect + genetic predisposition

Discussion in 'Medications that can cause Hair Loss' started by kaebea, Jul 10, 2009.

1. kaebea

kaebea Guest

Dear ladies,
    A thought hit me today. when i started bcp years ago, i recall reading on the packet that it may cause hair loss. ( in the fine print) but i put this out of my mind thinking it would be extremely rare, or they wouldn't prescribe it.

I've always known hair loss runs in my family, both sides.

and i got to thinking today, if i'm predisposed to this genetically perhaps it increases my chances of showing this side effect if it is a side effect for a particular med.

i've since played with thyroid meds and it seems whenever i adjust the dose, the hair loss increases.

so i'm wondering for the people who experience hair loss that may be the side effect of a med, do or don't you have genetic hair loss in your family?????

curious,
    kb

guess i'm wondering cuz if it is a correlation, maybe that should be something drs should consider when prescribing. Maybe for some women who have thick hair and no worries, those meds would be ok. but if your hair is just predisposed to fall out, maybe you should avoid meds unless absolutely necessary.

2. miche777

miche777 Guest

When a BCP caused a TE for me, and then, I think antidepressants maybe triggered Androgenetic Alopecia for me (I'm thinking, suspecting but will never be able to prove it), no one in my family suffered from hairloss.

To this day, nearly 21 years after my first dreadful BCP induced TE, only my mom is showing slight hair loss (now, at age 59).

But yeah, if you have a family history of it, and you know it, I'd stay away from meds.

I no longer take anything....I cringe when the doctor tells me I need to take an antibiotic (which causes shedding, for me).

3. aries

aries Guest

I have read that bcp's can trigger Androgenetic Alopecia in women that have hair loss in their family. I know for a fact that this is the case with my daughter. I guess she carrys the gene and bcp's kick started it off. I wish I had known this in advance. She had beautiful thick hair until bcp's. I never dreamed in a million years that she would be dealing with hair loss at 16/17. If you have a predisposition to hair loss, don't use bcp's. I wish that were printed as a side effect.

4. kimm

kimm Guest

unfortunately, I think that was the case with me too.

I had no idea. I also had no hair loss prior to going on bcps 9 years ago.

I only stayed on one year and then went off, but the cycle was started.

I'd probably still be fighting it now after two pregnancies, but I'd at least have more hair now than if I hadn't started the stupid pill in the first place!