Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Hairspray build-up and how to get rid of it :)

Discussion in 'Styling & Hair Care Tips for AGA Sufferers' started by Angela75, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Angela75

Angela75 Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi, everyone :)

I use A LOT of hairspray everyday to make my hair look fuller. I'm talkin' A LOT... so i ALWAYS have hairspray build up in my hair. It's really disgusting. I think a main reason why it stays in my hair is because the thinner, miniaturized strands (which i have a TON of) just tend to attract the hairspray. No matter what clarifying shampoo i use, nothing takes it off. Well, i found out a neat trick :) Get in the shower, shampoo your hair like normal (doesn't matter what kind) and then pour baking soda on your hair where the build up is. I put the baking soda in a plastic dye bottle and squeezed it on. Let it sit for a few minutes, then rinse it off. Follow it with a good conditioner because the baking soda can be drying. It takes ALL the build-up off your hair. It's GREAT. I'm going to start doing this once a week.... Just thought y'all might wanna know :)

2. Angela75

Angela75 Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I used to mix a couple of tablespoons of baking soda with water in a cup and pour it over my head in the shower, but that didn't work that well. It seems that if you just pour the baking soda on, it really does the trick. One other thing, if you put it in the plastic dye bottle, you might need to cut the tip to make a wider opening. If you just use the opening that's there, the humidity from the shower will clog it up and you can't get the baking soda out.

3. angieangie

angieangie Guest

Try a vinegar wash every few days. Just regular white vinegar. It might help. I used to use it to get mousse out of my hair when I was a bit younger.

4. Angela75

Angela75 Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Can't do vinegar :( the smell makes me gag and Baking Soda doesn't smell like anything ;p

5. angieangie

angieangie Guest

You can try mixing the vinegar with water.

6. michelesmith

michelesmith Guest

applying a conditioner and letting it sit onthe hair after you wash it once or twice also takes out the spray , i probably use more spray than amy winehouse and its the only way i get it out lol..........

7. Pearl

Pearl Guest

Don't mix baking soda and vinegar or your head will erupt like a volcano! :woot:

8. Angela75

Angela75 Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    So True, Pearl!!! Thanks for putting in that disclaimer. I didn't even think of that!! I recommend just the baking soda :)

9. hairyape

hairyape Guest

You did that science project in school too?? :smoke:

10. angieangie

angieangie Guest

Maybe some hair would erupt too.

11. snowflake

snowflake Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    ha ha ha! I did that in school too...

12. angieangie

angieangie Guest

This is wierd... there are three posts from me that I never posted here. I'm scared that I have a hacker or something.. it was a while ago, but still...

I never put vinegar on my hair guys.

13. Angela75

Angela75 Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    hmmm... maybe you should tell Admin about it?? that's kinda weird AND scary!!!!

14. Guest

Guest Guest

The IP address on those posts matches your current posting IP address, so whoever typed it, did so from wherever you are right now. Family member?

Admin

15. angieangie

angieangie Guest

Maybe. I think my cousin might have gone through this. She's been having a crazy TE lately and I showed her the site when she was over.

16. snowflake

snowflake Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Oh man does that mean it's genetic?