Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

hardened sebum ball surrounding hair follicle....

Discussion in 'The Undiagnosed' started by maxima88x, Feb 7, 2013.

1. maxima88x

maxima88x Guest

Hi everyone. I'm 24 years old and have always suffered from an oily scalp and dandruff since hitting puberty.
    In the last six months i've experienced incredible thinning of my hair and what i've noticed is many of the hairs that i lose have some kind of hard sebum ball surrounding the follicle.
    Don't be mistaken, it is not the typical white tip of a telogen hair but a waxy ball surrounding the follicle.
    I've never noticed this before and I'm afraid this is the cause of my hair loss.
    I went to a dermatologist who examined my hair and diagnosed telogen effluvium and said that my hair will grow back, she said those white balls are just sebum and it's not doing any harm to my hair.
    Has anyone ever experienced this? Do you think these plugs are suffocating my follicles causing the hair to fall out? are these plugs sebum or could it actually be dht??
    I'd really appreciate your opinions....thanks in advance!!

2. CKingAnswers

CKingAnswers Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I am pretty sure that any hair you shed is going to have a white bulb at the end. The white bulb is the end of the hair, color is not produced at that point and a new hair should grow in after it. A hair strand that does not have that white bulb on the end is breakage or miniturization. So the white bulb at the end of your hair shouldn't be a "contributor" to your hair loss. That bulb is supposed to be there.

3. maxima88x

maxima88x Guest

That's the point.....the white waxy stuff on my hair is not the bulb. It's a coating surrounding the white bulb. This coating is yellowish white. It has a waxy hard texture and can be scrapped of the hair to reveal the normal white bulb...

4. CKingAnswers

Dislikes Received:
    How's the condition of your scalp? I'd guess that it's sebum. I feel like your dermatologist could have given you a better explanation. If your scalp is otherwise healthy-not irritated, red, bumpy, etc, then my best guess would be excess sebum. Have you tried any special shampoos? Have you had bloodwork done or seen anyone besides the dermatologist?
    Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

5. maxima88x

maxima88x Guest

The dermatologist said it's sebum and in my opinion it looks like sebum. But do sebum plugs contribute to hair loss?? Cause I have a feeling that they cut off the oxygen that arrives to the hair causing it to die....and I've been googling this but there is no clear answer to whether sebum plugs contribute to hair loss or not...

6. CKingAnswers

Dislikes Received:
    Is your hair oily?
    Sebum can definitely be a cause of hair loss. Over production of sebum can clog the hair follicle, which hinders the growth of a new cycle of hair to grow. Excess sebum tends to produce an oily scalp and oily hair, which is why I ask if your hair is naturally oily, or does it get oily easily? There are shampoos to reduce sebum, or try doing a search on Tea Tree oil as treatment. There are tea tree oil shampoos out there, or you can by the oil yourself and either apply it directly to your scalp or add a teeny bit to your shampoo.
    Not sure if you have had blood work done, but if you haven't you might want to look into it. If you have elevated testosterone then you likely could have excessive dht at your hair follicles, or you could simply have a sensitivity to normal levels of testosterone and dht. Something like this you'll need to treat from the inside out. I have elevated testosterone, but my hair and scalp externally are healthy. My hair has always been on the oily side but it's not excessive. I take Spironolactone to reduce my testosterone levels, which in turn is supposed to reduce dht at my hair follicles. I also use Nizoral 1% shampoo. I really don't know if it's helping with hair loss but it does keep my hair from getting so oily. I leave it on my scalp a few minutes while I wash and shave my legs, etc. It is said to have the same sort of effect as Rogaine, which is why I let it sit on my scalp for a few minutes, so it can be absorbed before I rinse it out.

7. maxima88x

maxima88x Guest

yeah my scalp is naturally oily. I'll try tea tree oil as you suggested and see how it goes. Thanks so much for your help. :)

8. mycurlyhair

mycurlyhair Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    It could be seborrheic dermatitis. Did your derm even look at your "Scalp" good? I have this flaking/scaling myself and not having much luck with it. :(

9. sanclin

sanclin Guest

Use jojoba oil

Hi Dear Friend Maxima..

I too have this same problem which you are suffering. We have one option so you may please don't worry. You know I have been suffering to this for more than 6 years and now I am in age 24. I lost most of my hairs because of this bloody sebum build up. I have tried several medications and used so many anti dandruff shampoos. But nothing could cure my problem. Finally after a huge research in the internet I found a way to reduce this sebum build up. That is, by using jojoba oil on the scalp. So you may please throw all of your damn shampoos and only use this jojoba oil(with tea tree oil) in the night as a night time oil treatment. It will hit and control sebum build up and hair fall. If you want more details you can search about this on internet itself..any way best of luck dear..

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Dear Friend Maxima..

I too have this same problem which you are suffering. We have one option so you may please don't worry. You know I have been suffering to this for more than 6 years and now I am in age 24. I lost most of my hairs because of this bloody sebum build up. I have tried several medications and used so many anti dandruff shampoos. But nothing could cure my problem. Finally after a huge research in the internet I found a way to reduce this sebum build up. That is, by using jojoba oil on the scalp. So you may please throw all of your damn shampoos and only use this jojoba oil(with tea tree oil) in the night as a night time oil treatment. It will hit and control sebum build up and hair fall. If you want more details you can search about this on internet itself..any way best of luck dear..

10. mycurlyhair

mycurlyhair Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Did you get any of your hair back since you had it so long?

11. maxima88x

maxima88x Guest

My hair still isn't full as it was before but I mixed some tea tree oil in head and shoulders shampoo and I noticed that I had less sebum plugs so I guess the tea tree oil is helping....

12. ivanbuz

ivanbuz Guest

Dear maxima88x, it has been 4 months since your post. Would you please update your progress? I have oily hair and see hardened sebum ball as you did, and I think those are related to my hair loss. I am very much interested in knowing what you have done and how effective it is. Would you please give more details about the ratio when you mix tea tree oil and shampoo? Thanks a lot and best of luck to you!

13. Reva

Reva Guest

I have the exact same problem that is posted by u maxima! my hairfall is increasing every passing day!! my mom is scared I m gonna b bald soon!
    i felt so relieved someone shares my worries! :(
    The sebum balls/granules in my scalp infact give a tingling feel in my scalp..n i tend to put my hand in my hair so much ...unknowingly.. to remove dem...it looks bad!! :(
    i use head and shoulders alternate day..but that aint helping! i have super oily scalp and dry curly hair! so the oil just stays on d scalp and accumulates!
    I would like to try this tea tree remedy u r trying out. where can i find tea tree oil? how r the results with u?
    Please let us know!

14. fleur1979

fleur1979 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    it could be follicular hyperkeratosis too.. that is what i have. First they thought it was dandruff or eczema, but it was not.

15. sandraxhair

sandraxhair Guest

still itchy but tons better

Hey Reva,
    I know you're asking maxima88x, but I have been having the same issues too. Hopefully, this will help anyone with the same issue.

I am 25 years old and have had waxy build up that falls off with strands of hair when I scratch my scalp due to itchiness since I was 21 years old. It's so incredibly itchy and I always have my hand of my head too. I have partial straight and wavy hair with all types of textures and my hair is dry with the exception of my darn scalp. During my worst period, my hair line was receding and I had balding patches near the sides of head. What I have noticed is that:
    1. during a time of extreme stress from my previous jobs, my scalp was more itchy (I've read that stress may contribute to scalp itch)
    2. whenever I eat loads of carb (like bread) and sugar (from carbs, candy, soda, etc.) my sebum build up gets worse
    3. diet is mostly the culprit - my diet usually consisted mostly of bread, fried foods and ramen (in South Korea) and now I'm back in the states juicing organic veggies 3-5 times a week and eating so much better with less oily food
    4. you CAN GROW YOUR HAIR BACK

So I got a new job to reduce stress, and that helped a lot. My hair started sprouting from the front and top of my head. They look pretty silly and stick straight up. But I still have little to moderate scalp itch. I've gone through numerous types of shampoos with no sulfate to regular shampoos with tea tree oil. I've tried Brocato hair repair shampoo, Peter Thomas Roth clinical shampoo with vitamins, Abba scalp repair shampoo, and Paul Mitchel's tea tree oil shampoo. I can say that my hair feels cleanest and least itchy with the Peter Thomas Roth. But only after I do a Jojoba oil and tea tree oil treatment for about 20-30 minutes.

You can obtain jojoba oil and tea tree oil on Amazon or any holistic type of grocery store. I bought mine from trader joe's (in California).

My routine:

1. get a squeeze or spray bottle
    2. fill up with jojoba oil enough to massage all over your scalp
    3. add a couple drops of tea tree oil (it's very strong)
    4. spray or squeeze oils onto scalp evenly and start massaging (not scratching) with your finger tips (not nails) for about 5-10 minutes
    (massaging your scalp will loosen your hair follicles/pores and have the oils clean them out)
    4.5 - if your hair is dry, you can get coconut oil (also sold online and at tj) and rub it to the rest of your hair and ends - that's what I do
    5. wait 20 minutes, you may wrap a towel around your head
    6. shampoo regularly

My scalp still itches time to time but I try not to touch my scalp with my nails b/c I do not want bacteria to produce more sebum b/c it's their job to block bacteria. My hair falls out significantly less than it did before. If your hair is itchy throughout the day try getting half a cup of warm water with a couple drops of tea tree oil and use your finger tips to rub some over your scalp. This makes my itching go away for a few hours.

This is not guaranteed b/c I don't know how your body will react, but after researching and trying many different methods, this has been the best for me. I've been doing the jojoba/tea tree regimen for about 2 months, and have been juicing and noticing results for about a year.

16. Din

Din Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Fleur,
    I am sorry to hear you are still going through this. How did u get diagnosed with follacular hyoerkeotosis? Did your derm do a biopsy to confirm that? Also , what do u use to treat it?
    Is your hair still shedding?? It most likely is cte.. But do u get itching and scalp pain at all??

17. fleur1979

fleur1979 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi din, sorry you are still here too... I got a biobsy. it said a lot of follicular hyperkeratosis, but inconclusive for the cause. I got really upset, only 35% left of what i had three years ago. I shaved it off, and small bald spots were revealed. Like 20 of them around my hairline. I sent the picture to my derm and she agreed on another biobsy... going to have it beginning of october. My hair is much better away from my entire hairline...

My scalp is ithcy where i have hair loss....

HOw are you doing?

18. Din

Din Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Fleur,

sorry to hear about all that. I am no better. still shedding day in and day out with no end in site. 4 years for me now. I dont know what to do anymore. I have gone to countless doctors, all a waste of time. I have another app on nov 2oth, then its a dead end for me.
    sometimes I think I have Alopecia Areata because my hair line at the back of my neck is bad and I feel i have bald spots there. also behind my ears its bad and bangs are really thin. I find my hair texture is thinner too, so not knowing is killing me.
    Let us know how the biopsy goes, I hope that they will find something and be able to treat it. I do hope that we will all be ok. This is really tough. sometimes I feel that I want to doe because I have no strength for this, butI guess we have to be strong,

Hugs to you,
    din

19. marcy21

marcy21 Guest

Hi fleur, i was wondering about the follicular hyperkeratosis that you mentioned and i was wondering if that is what i have in my eyebrows. They are falling out at a rapid rate and there is a lot of scale surrounding the bulb, unlike the te hairs that have just the bulb. Did they tell u the hairloss is permanent because of this? I have also been told its dandruff or seborrhea/eczema but I have tried every shampoo and cortisone cream to no avail. I sent u a pm as well. Thankyou!

20. pauline141

pauline141 Guest

sebum in hair follicles

i had the same thing and one night i decided to run a fine tooth comb (nit comb) across my scalp and was amazed.hundreds of sebum balls came away and my hair grew back.i repeat the treatment once a month and i take spironolactone this is a water tablet but it controls sebum production.i also had blocked pores on my face and that has cleared with the tabs.