Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Has anyone else started pulling / picking?

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by sunlit, May 8, 2015.

1. sunlit

sunlit Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I feel very embarrassed posting this.

I'm not sure when I started doing this, but at some point since my hair loss started, I started pulling hair out. Not pulling hairs out by the root, but running hands/fingers through my hair so the hairs that are already loose will come out. Or tugging on sections of hair to get loose hairs out. I've never pulled out normal hairs, but I keep deliberately pulling out the loose hairs that are about to fall anyway. I also find myself running my fingers over my head/scalp a lot, sort of checking for lumps or grazes or particularly thin/bald patches, and then I end up picking at the skin. I feel irritated and disgusted by myself, but it's like a compulsion. I'll find myself doing it when I'm alone and feeling anxious. I've pulled out a lot of hairs just during the time I've been typing this message.

I don't think it's like trichotillomania because it's just already-loose hairs and it's not like it's a problem. It's like a stress response or anxious compulsion.. the habit has been created by the hair loss, because it's checking for hairs that are falling out or checking for evidence of the loss. It's almost like finding the loose hairs is reassuring on some level, because even now my hair loss is noticeable to others, I still manage to convince myself it's all in my head and I'm making it all up.

Not really looking for advice, I just want to know if anybody else has started pulling/picking too since their hair loss started. I feel so sure I can't be the only one but at the same time I'm scared you'll think I'm totally abnormal.

2. bella496

bella496 Member

Dislikes Received:
    I do this too!

3. ChrissyB

ChrissyB Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    You're not alone Sunlit. I am constantly tugging on the new hairs to see if they stay in. My Husband said I never stop touching my hair. I am constantly feeling spots on my head.

4. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Me too!

5. Noalani

Noalani Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    You are SO not alone! When my hair was really thick and long, I always had to run my fingers through my hair in the morning or I'd have all these loose hairs hanging down and tickling me. I guess it just became my habit to do this every morning. And then--one day I realized there was much less hair that my fingers were running through!! Now that I'm dealing with hair loss, I try not to do it so much because I want to preserve what's on my head. Lol. But I definitely pat my head a lot, making sure all hairs are providing optimal coverage.

6. Wolf924

Wolf924 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm constantly doing this. Constantly. And my husband tells me to stop and so do my friends. It's my OCD kicking into overdrive.

7. sunlit

sunlit Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I honestly can't tell you all how relieved I am that you do this too and I'm not alone.

8. ladymarmalade09

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, I do it too! I'm constantly running my fingers through my hair finding the pieces that are about to fall out. I think I do it mostly as a way to keep track of how much hair I'm losing and where it's coming from. If I'm sitting down watching T.V. or at the computer I always seem to have my fingers running through my hair....glad to hear I'm not alone!

9. Eunmi

Eunmi Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I've been doing this for months now!
    More so for the last couple of weeks because my shed has gone down, and praying I see some decent regrowth soon.
    It's kind of funny how I spent so much time not even bothering to turn on my bathroom lights when washing my hair, but just a week ago I turned it on, and noticed that my loss wasn't as horrible as I had made it out to be.
    It's still discouraging, but I'm hoping it will start growing back soon.