Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Has Anyone Had Success With This Treatment?

Discussion in 'Treatments for Androgenetic Alopecia' started by Sandy, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Sandy

Sandy Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Very discouraging. I am on two things to lower my antibodies. The problem is the one lab i use in the US has put my antibodies at much lower than results in the country where i primarily reside. So hard to tell but my hair although not huge noticeable fallout is so thin at temples and center front. I think i have wasted so much $$ with doctors lab tests products vitamins and nothing works.
    Have you tried viviscal? I took it for awhile but my alkaline phosphatate levels shot up so i stopped. A friend takes it and says it has helped.
    The NY doctor said the only thing that will help is the transplant, that i wont like the quality of hair from rogaine or even prp.

2. TinaM1968

TinaM1968 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    No I haven’t tried it. I haven’t heard many people having good results. It only helps if u are low in vitamin/minerals I wasted so much time and money and lots of blood for blood work nothing has help. My hair quality is crappy doesn’t grow nice breaks etc so even just the thinness isn’t bad enough what I have looks like crap. And I can’t lose an once or weight so I’m getting fat with crappy hair pretty huh?

3. Sandy

Sandy Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I really miss the hair of my pre-menopause youth, that's for sure; I took it for granted then.
    I still think I may have FFA or fibrosing frontal alopecia. This in fact is what the doctor initially thought I had, it affects from inflammation the frontal hairline usually at menopause and is slowly progressive; it sounds exactly what I have, however the scalp biopsy came out negative for this. Dr Donovan said he did not feel I had it because the inflammation in my scalp is all over, not just on top, and it hasn't affected the back part of my hair. Someone else told me that auto immune conditions will not work for hair transplants.
    However I just read a case that a woman who had it had a very successful transplant in the front area that was affected, so I am confused. I don't know whether to get another biopsy.
    http://www.ijtrichology.com/viewimage.asp?img=IntJTrichol_2018_10_4_169_242921_f1.jpg
    Aside from the center front and temple areas, the rest of my hair has been affected probably from hashimotos hypothyroid and generally age loss, so I have definitely lost volume, but it not so serious, it is the front part that disturbs me. I am wondering if I should give the transplant a try just in that area....

4. Sandy

Sandy Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Tina, further to my mail, I do want to say just in the past few weeks I have noticed some improvement, it probably is seasonal or temporary and I will be back crying again next week, but since I started the following after my consult with Dr Childs:
    l) He changed my thyroid meds. It is interesting though that although I 'feel' ok, when I tested a few days ago my TSH had skyrocketed, so I myself upped my T4 meds from what he had suggested. He actually had me cut down on NDT and increase T4.
    2) He put me on pcynogenol that I never heard of before, to try to lower antibodies. It is OTC. He also put me on a prescription Naltrexone very low dose, I am only taking 1.5mg/day. I sleep pretty well now although have some vivid nightmares.
    3) The only vitamins are really a Vit B complex and an adrenal complex. It's possible the adrenal also has helped. I had unintentionally been losing weight which bothered me, especially my face, so it seems a little better now, maybe from this, I don't know.
    So I notice my part looks better, the only thing that hasn't improved is that frontal center part which bothers the hell out of me.....my temple areas have losses but these are more easily camouflaged.

5. TinaM1968

TinaM1968 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    How did you manage an appointment with dr child’s? I thought he was not taking on any more patients? Glad your seeing improvements. Seems everyone I talk too is but me

6. Sandy

Sandy Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    He gives phone consultations for one hour, aroound $600. You send in all your labs and explain your history and set up appt. afterwards he sends you a review of the discussion and his recommendations. I figured i had tried everything else so one last shot. I dont know if it is working yet, he says takes a couple months. I also am taking stinging nettle root but not every day anymore. I feel this helped hair loss a lot. I just hoping for regrowth but dont think i will find it in the frontal area. In the meantime i use a little toppik for that one area. And thats why i thinking about transplant. Maybe if everything stabilizes i just stay as i am or have a much smaller transplant to that one area.

TinaM1968 likes this.
  7. Sandy

Sandy Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Oh he also lowered the HRT i was taking. I had stopped it but he put me on at a much lower dosage.