Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Has Anyone Tried L-tyrosine And Did It Work For You?

Discussion in 'Tell Your Story' started by Boomba, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Boomba

Boomba New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Curious if anyone has ever tried L-Tyrosine ? I am 48, and my hair has been thinning over the last 10 years, but was at it's worst last year , to the point that I could barely leave my bedroom, never lone leave the house (lucky my work was very supportive)....I barely had any hair on top and suffered severe anxiety & depression. I visited a Trichologist, David Salinger. Although based in Adelaide, South Australia, he is the executive director of the International Association of Trichologists (USA). I was hoping to have a biopsy, however he said straight out that I had Androgenetic Aloplecia and told me to take 1/2 teaspoon of L-Tyrosine powder, twice a day. He said it could take anywhere between 6-12 months to work and if it did work for me I would need to continue for the rest of my life ! He said a lot of women he treated had great success with this. Well 3 months passed and my hair got worse, so I visited a dermo, who straight away put me on Finasteride 5mg and ordered a biopsy. The biopsy confirmed Alopecia Areata and he then put me on Spironolactone 100mg x 2 a day and Oral Minoxidil 1mg x 2 per day. So I took all this, along with Fusion Menopause tablets (Trichologist recommended taking something with Black Cohosh and Dong Quai ) 3-4 months on my hair all started to fill back in and I started to feel half normal again, the darkness had lifted and I could finally face my friends after a whole year...I also returned to work in February this year and all had being going amazing. I must also say that I am on Lexapro and did see a psychologist last year, which also helped me be more rational about what I think people are thinking about my hair... Now, I thought the Spironolactone, Finasteride, Minoxidol, etc had certainly helped and started to cut back on L-Tyrosine (thinking that it hadn't helped at all ) and completely stopped about 4 months ago....I am now starting to lose my hair again !! A bit on top, but more on the sides and back......and my fringe that used to sit just on my eyebrows, is more or less GONE !! Now I wonder if in fact the L-Tyrosine was the reason for my hair coming back....of course i have got straight back on it. Obviously it will be another waiting game and just hope that my hair doesn't get worse in the meantime ...... Hoping someone else can vouch for L-Tyrosine and that it helped them..I have attached some photos, which shows it at it's near worst Oct 2016( my husband made me stop taking photos) big improvement May 2017 and new one taken yesterday....

Attached Files:

2. Boomba

Boomba New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Apologies, I was diagnosed with Androgenetic Alopecia, not Alopecia Areata ( I wrote A.A, however translated itself)

3. valentinab00

valentinab00 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    L-tyrosine is amino acid typically used to encourage the thyroid. It may or may not have helped your hair growth. Did you make any other changes at that time? You mentioned menopausal supplements as well. Could your hormones have changed, declined in this period? It’s really hard to say.

I have added tyrosine to my regimen since one week. Have taken it a few times before but not regularly. I can’t yet speak to its efficacy. How much were you taking, dosage?

#3 valentinab00, Dec 22, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  4. Boomba

Boomba New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, it is hard to say whether it was the L-Tyrosine but I'm giving it another go anyway, it definitely can't hurt.......I take 1/2 teaspoon twice a day, which is what the trichologist recommended. He seemed so adamant that this would help, although could take anywhere up to a year, and patience was the key.... As you probably know, when your hair is falling out day after day, and you are terrified that you will end up completely bald, you have no patience and want that quick fix, hence I went to Dermo and went on all the other medication. Not sure about my hormones, I am perimenopausal, so could be that as well.....
    It's one big guessing game really, what will work, what could be making it worse !!! I did start taking Silica tablets about 3-4 months ago, around the same time I stopped the tyrosine.....my hair progressively got worse. I read that silica can deplete vitamin B and other nutrients in your body, so I binned them...Time will tell I suppose, and just need to come to terms with the way I look :(
    Hope you have some luck with this :)

5. valentinab00

Dislikes Received:
    How much tyrosine was in 1/2 tsp? How many mg?

I hadn’t heard that about silica. Why not take a b complex? It’s helpful for thyroid anyway. The thing is you started silica but stopped tyrosine. Who’s to say which if either it was. Then there’s the whole potential hormone issue.

I guess you have to experiment. I would get some labs though and know my hormone levels so at least you have a benchmark.

Yes, it’s very frustrating and disheartening the waiting game which yields improvement or loss. Wishing you the best.

6. Boomba

Boomba New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Valentina
    Sorry, I'm really not sure how many mg in 1/2 a teaspoon... I have a 100g tub, which probably lasts me about 2 months.
    Definitely hard to tell what contributed to my regression but have a strong feeling it was because I stopped the tyrosine...My doctor is away for 3 months, so will look into having some labs done when she returns....
    Will post back here with an update...... all the best :)

7. valentinab00

Dislikes Received:
    Great. Thank you. Keep us posted.