Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Has Thyroid Treatment Helped Your Hair Loss?

Discussion in 'Treatments for Androgenetic Alopecia' started by electra, Jun 24, 2018.

1. electra

electra Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi all,

I'm in perimenopause (49) and have had hair falling out (varying in intensity) for a couple of years now, and recession and thinning for about five years. I'm very worried about it.

My TSH was recently at 3.8, after being around 2-2.5 most of my adult years. I've also had lots of fatigue with periods (which may have ended, not sure). So, new hormone doctor thought Armour Thyroid might help more than the other thyroid supplement (some kind of dessicated thyroid) I was on.

Has something like Armour helped anyone's hair loss? I know the loss of ovary function can affect thyroid (or, it's all connected--I forget how) and adrenals, too...but, well, I'm hesitant to try something that strong (or is it?).

Also, I've been told (by a few people, including docs) that going gluten-free (and sugar free) can help thyroid, so maybe changing diet is my first step?

Thanks for advice! I know it's such a complicated subject.

TinaM1968 and Farrah711 like this.
  2. valentinab00

valentinab00 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Armour is desiccated porcine thyroid; it is medicine and not a supplement.

Taking thyroid meds did not help me but that doesn’t mean it won’t help you. My TSH level stays around 1 to 2 and isn’t as high as yours has become.

I would definitely advise reviewing and having a copy of your hormone levels. You may discover that your estrogen is low though likely your levels are fluctuating if peri menopausal.

Yes, going gluten free does help the thyroid and auto-immune response especially if you have antibodies.

Farrah711 likes this.
  3. electra

electra Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for replying, Tina! What was your TSH, when you were put on ndt, and what kind of not were you on? Yeah...I decided not to go on the Armour; I'm just not convinced that I need it! The doctor I paid a lot of money to did not really ask about symptoms; she really just looked at my labs, and my labs aren't even bad. So sorry that you had further hair loss...:(

Are you in perimenopause, too? I was wondering if HRT would help, but honestly, not sure it helps everyone with hair loss! Also, I get VERY fatigued from Progesterone (tried it once, could barely function next day), and I know that would have to be part of the Estrogen-Progesterone combo....

I feel bad doing 'nothing' for my hair loss, but I'm not convinced that anything med-wise will help it...So frustrating...