Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Have To Get Colonscopy- Already Have Cte

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by patient_flower, Jan 12, 2018.

1. patient_flower

Dislikes Received:
    Hello, all

Today I found out I have to get a colonoscopy as I have family history (mom and sister) of Crohns disease. Despite supplementation for a year some of my nutrients are still very deficient. I also have bathroom troubles and abdominal pain. I've had CTE for 3 years.

I know anesthesia can cause hair loss. I have very little hair left, and am wondering if I should cancel the colonoscopy? I cannot deal with more hair loss. I've even ruled out having children as that can cause hair loss!

Anyone have experience with getting a surgery or colonoscopy while in a TE? What happened?
    My heart is breaking.

2. losing_it

losing_it Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hey there! I am an Operating Room nurse. Yes, they do say that operations can cause hair loss, but I believe that are talking about large operations where you lose a lot of blood, are under for hours with a breathing tube, etc. In a colonoscopy, you actually do not go all the way under. They do not place a breathing tube at all. They will give you a medication called Versed, which is in the same class of drugs as Xanax (benzodiazepines). Versed is not only relaxing like Xanax is, but it also has an amnesia effect, which is why some people may think that they were asleep. But you will actually be awake, while sedated, for the entire procedure.

I work in the OR, and colonoscopies are done in endoscopy suites because they are not big enough procedures to be done in the operating room. So I am not an expert, but I don't believe you will lose much blood and I am positive you won't be completely under. Are you worried about the liquid diet prior to the procedure, or the procedure itself? Because I do not believe the procedure itself would be damaging enough to worsen hair loss. Not sure how the liquid diet would affect hair, but I'd venture to say it won't be a huge deal. In fact, if you have Crohn's, I think Crohn's would be a MUCH more likely culprit for your hair loss than the risk of having a colonoscopy. Like I said, I'm not an expert, but these are my "educated guesses," so to speak. Personally, I would get the colonoscopy.

patient_flower likes this.
  3. patient_flower

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you, @losing_it . You don't know how much comfort that brings me! I'll pray hard. My mom (who has crohns) says that it would be best for me to do it.

The one thing to note that my doctor said is that the laxatives can really mess up your gut flora. It can take a lot of work with probiotics to get it balanced again.

4. losing_it

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, I do think the liquid diet would be hard on your body. But the good news is, you're already ahead of most people by understanding that you'll need probiotics and a healthy diet to get your gut back in order! Buy some high quality probiotics. If you haven't heard of it, I love the website labdoor.com, which independently tests supplements and gives them ratings. Independent testing means that they aren't funded by a company/brand, which means no bias in their findings. I typically go there before purchasing any supplements and buy one of the top rated brands in whatever category I'm looking for. The top rated supplements are usually a bit more expensive, but that's because they are safer and more effective.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes :)

5. patient_flower

Dislikes Received:

Thanks so much! One last question for you: my receptionist said they would be using propofol. Do you know anything about hair loss with that for colonscopies?

6. psunday64

psunday64 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    My hair started thinning in June of 2015 and I went on rogaine, finesteride, HRT, and vitamins. I started early before my hairloss got too bad and I regained some of it and it has been stable for a long time. In Feb of 2017 I had my first routine colonoscopy at the age of 52 and I was scared it would hurt my hair as well. Crazy that this is now going to be a life long thing of every time we need to do something medically we have to worry about our hair! :( Anyway, they use propofol on me too for the procedure. I didn't have any issues with it or my hair afterwards. I didn't notice any increase in my shedding at all. I don't shed that much anyway except for my normal summer hair sheds, that when it seems to increase for me.
    My dermotologist told me that normal medical procedures will not hurt your hair. Its when you have to have a major surgery and are put under for a long time that could potentially make you go into a temporary hair shed. Hope this helps! I know its scary and frustrating!!

7. losing_it

Dislikes Received:
    Unfortunately I don't know about hair loss and propofol, but considering pretty much every single person who has surgery gets propofol, I'd venture to say that it is unlikely to cause hair loss on its own. Psunday seemed to have no issues with her hair, which is what I would expect to hear :) I'll write out some additional info on propofol for you, if you're interested.

Propofol is a very fast acting sedative. So what they will most likely do is a slow drip through your IV to keep you sedated (while still conscious) during the procedure. This is called conscious sedation. You will still likely have no memory of the procedure. Propofol is actually what Michael Jackson was taking for sleep that killed him, but the difference is he was not being monitored by an anesthesiologist, whereas you will be. They will monitor your blood oxygen saturation, CO2 output from breathing, blood pressure, and heart rate/EKG. If something goes awry, such as your breathing becoming impaired, the anesthesiologist will recognize it immediately and adjust the medication. While unlikely, they may be forced to place what is called an LMA (laryngeal mask airway), which is similar to a breathing tube, except it doesn't go completely down into your trachea. This tube will simply sit at the top of your vocal cords, forcing your airway open and deliver oxygen to your lungs. Your anesthesiologist should explain this to you prior to your procedure, but I figured that it might be nice for you to know beforehand so you can look anything related to it up and feel more comfortable with it.

And as a disclaimer, I am an operating room Registered Nurse. I have no additional training in anesthesia, this is simply what I have learned while on the job, and it is extremely basic knowledge compared to what an anesthesiologist or a nurse anesthetist know. But, I do hope it helps you! :)

Farrah711 likes this.
  8. RoxyT

RoxyT Member

Dislikes Received:
    I want to thank losing_it for the valuable background. I need to schedule a colonoscopy, and knowing about the procedure from a caring person makes it less scary.

patient_flower, I hope yours went smoothly and that you're happy with your decision to have the colonoscopy.

9. Blue Panda

Blue Panda Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I don't have TE (Androgenic Alopecia) but have had 3 colonoscopies. Go gently with the probiotics afterwards if you have a dodgy tummy. Probiotics don't agree with me at all, even in small amounts. I've never had any issues with my hair loss getting worse around the time of having them done.

Roxy, try not to be scared (easier said than done I know!). I was terrified before my first. I couldn't believe they were making someone with bowel issues take so many things to make them go more! But in the end, while it wasn't fun, it wasn't nearly as bad as I had expected.

I hope it goes well for you both and nothing serious is found.

#9 Blue Panda, May 12, 2018
    Last edited: May 12, 2018
    RoxyT likes this.
  10. patient_flower

Dislikes Received:
    3 months post colonscopy and it DID increase shedding, by double. Though in my case when TE has lasted over 3 years, I think anything can. :( Wish I had something better to report.