Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Help for super dry hair

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by micky, Jul 2, 2016.

1. micky

micky Member

Dislikes Received:
    My hair is super dry (it's basically dry as soon as I get out of the shower) and sheds A LOT. Does anyone know of a natural remedy or hair product that will help? I've tried many shampoos and conditioners with no help. My hair is very fine and curly. It's a tangled, dry nightmare. Thanks

2. hoping4best

hoping4best Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Have you tried any oil products, like a couple drops of pure jojoba oil? I use it and it helps. If I use it carefully and not too much, it doesn't make my hair look oily--especially if I comb a couple drops through my hair right after washing it. I also have extremely dry hair. I also like Living Proof restore shampoo, conditioner, and mask treatment, as well as Deva no-poo (I have curly hair). They are expensive, but a lot cheaper now than when I had a lot more hair.

3. hairtothere

hairtothere Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Coconut oil might help, you have to be careful with how much you apply and when you want to rinse it out you need to use warm water and a no silicone conditioner like Suave Naturals Coconut, the oils in the conditioner help to remove the coconut oil. You can also try co-washing which is using conditioner to wash your hair. The Suave conditioner mentioned above is good for that and really cheap to try out.

4. micky

micky Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you for your responses. I've also been researching online and I read that using an egg yolk and olive oil mixture can help. Has anyone ever tried something like this?

5. sarvnaz123

sarvnaz123 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    do you process your hair? color, perm, etc? I have baby fine curly hair too and one thing that you need to be careful with baby fine hair is processing it. It will make it dry and brittle. Is it mostly shedding or breaking?

I use Dove Oxygen Moisture shampoo and it has worked for me. I also use Rosemary essential oil for volume. also, try to stay away from products with alcohol in them. Alcohol dries hair and scalp. The only thing with Alcohol that I use is Rogaine foam and that is because I don't have any other options, but the mousse and hair spray I use have no alcohol in them.

I have fine/thin hair and it takes forever for it to dry specially if I put it in a pony or a bun, it stays moist all day. I have even hair stylists comment on how it takes a long time for it to dry considering how thin my hair is. I think that is because I have never processed it and I do all the things above.

6. micky

micky Member

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't processed my hair in over 10 years. I also use Rogaine foam and I'm on 50mg of Spironolactone so I'm not sure if that is what's doing it. I try and eat well, drink plenty of water, and the mousse I use does not contain Alcohol. I just can't figure it out. It's so frustrating. I've tried putting argan oil and coconut oil in my hair. My hair looks bad enough as it is without this problem. Thanks for all your help and suggestions!

7. rva207

rva207 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    How long ago did you notice the change? Do you have Androgenetic Alopecia? Could it be Androgenetic Alopecia-related texture change like "cotton candy hair"? My texture has changed for the worse since the Androgenetic Alopecia diagnosis.

I keep a jar of coconut oil in the shower and, when I have the time to use it, it does help. I put about a tsp in my hands to let it melt then apply to wet hair prior to shampooing. I leave it on for probably 3 minutes then shampoo. The benefit only lasts me one day so you have to keep doing it.

I was adding 2-3 drops of rosemary oil to my shampoo and it helped for a while, but recently it wasn't cutting it so I switched to coconut oil.