Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Help Please possible TE don't know

Discussion in 'Tell Your Story' started by Jemsgirl, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Jemsgirl

Jemsgirl Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Ok so I think I went through a terrible bout of telogen effluvium. Here is my story. I had a baby 10 months ago. My hair was absolutely gorgeous! I have really fine hair but it was extremely thick during my pregnancy. I was just loving it and then I find out when my son was 6 weeks old that my husband was cheating. I weighed 147 when I found out. I was 155 when I had him and 122 when I conceived. I lost so much weight within 2 months, I now stay between 107 and 112. I'm 5'5". I went to the doctor and my derm said he couldn't guarantee my hair coming back then saw my endo and she said possible Androgenetic Alopecia. But I don't have a widening part. I have noticed regrowth since about 2 months into the shedding. My shedding lasted about 6 months. But the regrowth is hard to see now. I do see a lot one day and the next hardly anything. I've lost more than half my hair. And what scares me the most is seeing short hairs shedding. I've had 5m/c and the last one was before conceiving my son. I lost a baby boy in my 2nd trimester. I lost hair for about 3 months but I got pregnant so I do not know if I was losing hair as a precursor to something genetic or what. My ferritin level was 28 so I took this liquid iron but that didn't seem to do anything. I'm now taking slow release iron every other day because I eat a lot of protein. I'm so stressed about this and stressed my husband will leave me. I'm going crazy. Someone help me! :'( My hair is so thin now and I'm taking Rogaine and Spironolactone hoping it will help but I've been on Men's Rogaine for a month and haven't seen much difference. And I take 50mg Spironolactone.

#1 Jemsgirl, Feb 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2014
  2. Joann

Joann Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to Her Alopecia :grouphug: I'm so sorry to hear about the stress you have gone and are going through. Experiencing the hairloss is an added stress. I'm not a doctor but it's conceivable to me that the hairloss could be from TE . You certainly have some of the indicators for it which I'm including below.

-acute illness such as febrile illness, severe infection, major surgery and severe trauma

-chronic illness such as malignancy and any chronic debilitating illness

-hormonal changes such as pregnancy and delivery, hypothyroidism and discontinuation of estrogen containing medications

-changes in diest like crash dieting, anorexia, low protein intake and chronic iron deficiency

-medications of which the most frequently cited are beta-blockers, anticoagulants, retinoids (including excess Vit A) propyithrouracil (induces hypothyroidism) carbamazepine (for seizures) and immunizations

-allergic contact dermatitis of the scalp

You've had trauma losing a baby and finding out your husband was cheating. You've also had hormonal changes both with the baby you lost and healthy baby you delivered. You had rapid weightloss in a 2 month period. I'm not good with ferriten levels. I don't know if you have gone to your doctor to be tested for anemia but if you haven't it would be a good idea to do so before taking iron. Too much iron can be harmful for your health. I wouldn't take any supplements without a doctor's okay.

If it is TE your hair should eventually recover. I met a neighbour's mother-in-law whose TE became severe but she discontinued the new medication she was taking for arthritis and all her hair grew back as thick as it had been.

I think what is even of greater importance than the hairloss is for you to seek some help to help you cope with your husband's betrayal and the loss of a baby. Forgive me, if you feel I'm out of line saying this, but I truly feel you've had to bear more grief in such a relatively short period of time than anyone should & you have a young baby to look after too.

Take care of yourself.:heart:

Big Hugs,
    Joann

3. Jemsgirl

Jemsgirl Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Joann...I also wanted to add that my endo said I was not anemic but my ferritin was 28 which I've read needs to be at least 70. Funny thing is before I got pregnant with Gabriel, I tried to give blood twice in a year's time and they turned me away because my iron was too low. I never thought anything of it then. I lost babies before but never that far along. The other 4 were between 6 and 8 weeks along. After losing Gabriel it's like my life went crazy. I did also have to use blood thinners with my pregnancy with Gabriel and my pregnancy with Luke. That is an anticoagulant, right? They found before I got preg with Gabriel that I had a blood clotting disorder. I also had surgery before I got preg with him to remove uterine polyps. So I had surgery twice in 2011 and then the csection with my son last April. I don't know. I want to get help but I'm scared to leave the house. And yes you are so right that I never really grieved the loss of my son. Everyone told me to move on that he had trusting 18 so I should have been glad I didn't go full term. I would have gladly gone full term to just be able to hold and hug him and tell him how much his Mommy truly loved him.

4. ducksauce

ducksauce Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Jemsgirl, My heart breaks for you at the loss of your little boy, loosing a baby, no matter what the circumstances hurts. While I have not experienced a second trimester loss, I did have 5 miscarriages and infertility, the baby ache hurts, and you've been through so much... and now Hairloss too. :(

I am so sorry you are here. Its a difficult road... What I've learned throughout my hair loss journey is that there are no easy answers, and I think hairloss for women is a very misunderstood/under- understood issue. I think because they've discovered what causes male pattern hair loss, its been decided that that is what causes female hairloss too, yet so many treatments that work for men don't for women. I think you could go to 10 different Dr.s and get 10 different answers, treatments, causes etc... Bottom line is that it sucks, and in my opinion, we are left on our own to figure this all out. Given your history of the lost pregnancy, and now a full term baby, I would wonder if your hormones aren't a bit off. The problem is most Dr.'s will take the blood tests and if you fall anywhere into "normal" they assume you are fine and move on. So, where does that leave you? If you aren't nursing you can look into some natural ways to balance your hormones. If you are concerned about doing this alone, I would suggest a natropathic Dr. They can run blood tests etc, but are more interested in discovering and repairing than a bandaid, traditional medicine approach. From what I've read, it can take up to a year for your hair to recover from a TE shed, so you may have a few months ahead of you before you can really tell improvement. How are things these days? I know this post was from a few week ago, do you still feel that you have no improvement?

5. hairscared

hairscared Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Jemsgirl,

I am so sorry for all you have been through. You have had an awful lot of stress and I would guess this is truly having an affect on
    your health. I hope you have support from doctors and your family. It is a lot to bear on your own. I am happy you have a beautiful wonderful gift and blessing in your new baby.

The hair loss hopefully will improve in time ~ but don't give up on trying to get help, there is a lot of support in here and hopefully your doctors will help. Ducksauce gave some wonderful advice in maybe seeking out some natropathic type doctors and for sure have some more tests run.
    I wish I could be more helpful - and I hope your doing a little better now.
    Hugs,
    hairscared

6. dragonfly

dragonfly Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Jemsgirl,
    I am so sorry to hear what you have been through and can only imagine how it has affected your overall health, and likely your hair as well. Hopefully as your health improves so will your hair situation. As Ducksauce said, I haven't found really any help with doctors. I too have a Ferritin level of 28, and they tell me it's "within the normal range." I hope you find improvement very soon.

In the meantime, you'll find great support here. I don't log on very often anymore, but am glad I did today. Please take good care of yourself. I hope things are going better and you and your new baby are doing well.

Dragonfly

7. CKingAnswers

CKingAnswers Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I am so sorry you have been through so much. Your body is probably in utter chaos mode from going through so much and it can take quite some time for the body to get back on track. So your endo put you on Spironolactone and Rogaine. What dosage of Spironolactone? What is his reasoning for that?
    I don't know a whole lot about TE loss, I have PCOS and/or Androgenetic Alopecia. But I'd hope if it's TE that once your body gets back on track that you'll have successful regrowth.
    As for your state of mind, I understand the obsessing. Please don't think your husband will leave you though. He married you, not your hair. If you are truly feeling depressed, please see a doctor and consider even a mild antidepressant. I used one for a short time and it did help me. It was a mild one, Lexapro, and it just helped me cry less (I was going through a lot in addition to hair loss), and just helped me to think clearly and function. Don't be embarrassed about any of this. You need to take care of you.