Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

HELP ! Scalp burning what does that mean?

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by CarliGali, Jul 25, 2009.

1. CarliGali

CarliGali Guest

My scalp has recently started to hurt / burn - right at the top of my head. I guess crown are. Does it mean I am about to loose more hair in that area? This is so upseting ....who gets these? Androgenetic Alopecia , TE?
    Its 1:30 am and I am shocked in bed, cant sleep ....I am addicted to this forum but the more I read and know the more scared I get ...I am relative new at this, even though I have lost hair on and off for years, it was never bad enough to show scalp, hurt and actually get me so worked up ....

HELP !!!!! Carla

2. alicat

alicat Guest

Awwwww I'm so sorry!!!! *hug*

I wish I could tell you what scalp burning is all about. I know myself and a few other ladies here have either experienced this, or are currently affected by this. As far as I know, we just have to wait it out.

I hope this ends soon for you!!

3. RobinL71

RobinL71 Guest

at the height of my TE... I had scalp burning, trichodynia (sensation of pulling) and the lovely creepy crawly feeling...

I'm not sure what it can be attributed to... but it could be inflammation in the follicles... or hormonal sensitivities... I've searched for answers to this many times and cannot really find any definitive, concrete explanations...

4. hair issues

hair issues Guest

Oh yeah!!!!! All of the above for me as well. I also felt like my head was bruised. I think the one that was the most uncomfortable was the pulling or as I used to describe it, a needle being poked into my head. Haven't had it in a couple months thankfully!!

5. beachlover24

beachlover24 Guest

for some reason in my frontal area ( where the hair loss is the worst) I often feel like the hair tie/clip is pulling too tight even if its not pulling at all, even when my hair is down! . I did have dr tell me I had scalp inflammation...maybe this the reason for the feeling. I dont really know how its connected to the hair loss though. I have weird skin issues as well as the loss.

6. mythreeboys

mythreeboys Guest

I've had this for 3.5 years now. I do not know if this will make you feel better but at peaks of violent scalp pain hair never got bald, and pain did not seem to correlate to heavier loss/thinning. I shed heavy regardless of pain or no pain if that makes sense. There were times the pain would be so violent (and still can be) that I often wondered if I could continue. fortunatly it gives me breaks.

Well there are a number of reasons for scalp pain, The bad ones are rare. But what it comes down to is inflammation. Stress and worry releases hormones which trigger more pain, inflammation, immune response etc. It's a vicous cycle you worry, your body releases hormones that trigger scalp inflammation which causes hair shedding, then we worry more and the cycle never seems to stop.

Something seemed to go awry. My doctor noticed I flush on my chest and neck and noted I had vasomotor instabiity wich is caused by a release of histamine that then releases mast cells. I also get migraine headache that can be caused by inflammation.

Try not to get to worked up about the pain as it does not necessarily mean you will lose more hair since it's hurting. Hopefully you will be like most where this just goes away and not like me :shakehead:

7. RobinL71

RobinL71 Guest

This happens to me too... when I'm upset, nervous or embarrased... weird...

8. mythreeboys

mythreeboys Guest

Interesting. All of the friends I have made here and other forums who had scalp pain (Who I got to know personally) have mentioned some chest blotchiness and the "nervous rash"

Do a search on Neurogenic inflammation, it discusses stress, inflammation and hair loss. Some of us just have a bad stress response that creates a release of hormones, Nerve growth factor, Substance P and Catecholamins, these are all key players which limit hair growth and promote inflammation. :sobbing:

My aunt has Fibromyalgia very badly. She also gets migraines (neurogenic inflammation) and when we got together she noted my chest rash and said oh honey I get that all the time but now that I am on lexipro it went away. She also has neurogenic bladder.

I don't know the cure of Neurogenic inflammation or if its possible to stop it. It's the key player in Fibro, chronic pain syndromes etc and is a real phenomenon . It's also responsible for stress induced psoriasis, dermatitis, shingles. I often wonder if it's linked to Alopecia Areata as well. neurogenic inflammation is tied into the bodies immune responses etc.

I often wonder if this type of phenomenon is genetic, environmental, autoimmune or all of the above.

9. CarliGali

CarliGali Guest

Again, I could no be happier to have found you ladies ....if you tell anyone that you feel all these things in your scalp, most people will start thiking you are going crazy ....especially if nothing looks "wrong" with your scalp ...Last night my scalp was REALLY sored and burning ...but that was also at the peak of my stress and oanic over the whole thing ...

Carla

10. Vlal

Vlal Guest

I have had scalp pain/itching/strange sensations on and off in the past. I tended to get the pain when I was in a full shed mode. Now I am just getting the itching... which is really annoying because I seem to be scratching like a monkey all the time and it annoys my mum!

11. CarliGali

CarliGali Guest

Vlal
    Funny. The itching thing I have had on and off...never thought much of it ...years back when going through some hairloss I also felt my scalp was tender, but now is just worse...everything got worse, actually ...including the thinning ... :sobbing:

12. beachlover24

beachlover24 Guest

mythreeboys:

I get red splotches too!

13. mythreeboys

mythreeboys Guest

Beachlover interesting. I think we need to start a poll, scalp pain and chest blochiness? I'll see if i can make a poll for it

14. Hi mythreeboys,

Interesting that you mentioned migraines, I used to get the most debilitating migraines BEFORE I went into menopause. I'd get at least two a month, some lasted for two days, until I was prescribed Esgic which has a barbituate and caffeine.

Problem was, my doctor would tell me to take the medication when I felt the migraine coming on, sometimes when the migraines were full blown, the medication would not work. Now I get migraines maybe three times a year, if that much.

I never had any hair loss when I was in perio-menopause, my hair loss coincided with with menopause.

For me, when the scalp burning and pain is super bad, I always get a TE for about a day or two. I can simply touch the hair in the burning painful area and it easily falls out.

Asking my derm and PCP about this burning syndrome has been futile. Of course there MUST be some connection to scalp pain and hair loss, because I had absolutely NO scalp issues pre hair loss...I never even had dandruff let alone pain!

Once hair loss started, I was suddenly diagnosed with Seb Derm as well as Folliculitis, though I think I had neither....especially as ALL the topicals my derm has prescribed over the past 3-4 years haven't helped me at all. I think the scabs and burning pain are, of course, hormone related.

FINACEA, a topical for acne roscea did help the scabs, but it doesn't work any more.

I continue to get the small painful red scabs, though not as many as before. Now I have one, in that same area I also get the burning pain and a TE type loss. I had a bad TE shed there last week. This week the burning wasn't as bad there and I haven't had another TE there this past week. Unfortunately, I have no answers....

:lost:

15. mythreeboys

mythreeboys Guest

Ms_understood. I am so sorry your still having this problem. The scab thing is interesting as your the first i've ever heard of having it with the scalp sensations.

I used to get wicked migraine headaches in my late teens up until about age 24 when I had my first baby. Seems from that point on they really calmed down about 90%. But back when I got them I would vomit and get real sick. I have had a few over the years the most frightening one when I was pregnant with my third, I lost vision for about 15 minutes. Strange. Oddly though my estrogen was super high it was my final trimester of pregnancy. So for me it always seemed too much estrogen was my trigger. I've read that any change in hormones can trigger them. But so good for you that they are gone! They really suck. They say migraines are due to an inflammation which I believe, the blood vessels constrict etc

Again I am so terribly sorry your still having the pain and that what used to work has stopped. :(

p.s. yes asking any doctor about this is futile! Honestly they do not know or understand how debilitating it can be

16. finaleofseem

finaleofseem Guest

Hi ladies. I too, suffer from scalp pain/burning, though from the sound of things, mine isn't as bad as many of yours.

I have a male friend who had the same issue, and he told me that he put about two big spoonfuls of baking soda in his shampoo, and it helped take the edge off. I've been doing this for the past two weeks, and it's helped calm mine down, too. An additional benefit is my hair feels smoother and cleaner, and my scalp feels less itchy. I think my shed may be going down a little, too, though that could just be where I am in my cycle.

Don't know if it will help any of you or not, but it's cheap to try, and we all have baking soda around our houses.

17. jade76

jade76 Guest

I've had this too. And it seemed worse when my shedding was at its peak. As far as the itchiness/ creepy crawlies, that seemed correlated with the shampoo i was using (pureology). When i stopped using that, that bug-infested-scalp sensation went away.

18. julielou

julielou Guest

Wow! This is really interesting.

I get the blotchiness on my neck and chest (haven't always had it, though, just the last few years) and I do get bouts of itchiness, not just on my scalp, excema and have had a few migranes - thankfully very few - over the years. I had shingles about 5 years ago and I thought at the time it was stress as I was having a really bad time at work. I also get patches of UV allergy (polymorphic light eruption PLE) on the back of my hands, crook of my elbow and chest so have to apply a factor 30+ sunblock from April to October. I'd read about the PLE being a possible auto-immune issue but I'm now going to look into neurogenic inflammation. Thanks for posting about all this.

19. Vlal

Vlal Guest

Yeah tender scalp - I have had that also... was at its worst when my hair was falling out the most. Once I shaved my head, I used to wear a little fleecy hat as my head hurt so much. I do wonder whether it has something to do with hormones or chemicals letching out of the hair follicles... like the others were commenting on the follicle issue and inflammation... there must be something causing it.

20. Vlal

Vlal Guest

:agree:

In fact, I switched to washing my scalp/hair purely with baking soda and following with apple cider vinegar and it did wonders for all the itching and scalp pain. So cheap also.