Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Help with Hair

Discussion in 'Styling & Hair Care Tips for AGA Sufferers' started by gbslaf, Jun 20, 2005.

1. gbslaf

gbslaf Guest

Hey All,

I have been reading some of the posts on here about the different companies and their systems. I am at a loss now and very confused as to what I should do. I will just tell you a little about my situation and hopefully someone can give me some unbiased advice.... and please be brutally honest.

I am a 27 year old woman who just started losing my hair almost a year ago. I have always had a ton of hair, so thick you could not even see my scalp when I parted my hair. It has been a very long and devastating year, to say the least. I have been wearing Great Lengths hair extensions since November and they have done well with hiding the thinning until recently. I keep them now only to look like I have hair when I wear caps, which I do often. If I don't then I am restricted to wearing my hair combed over and pinned and in a ponytail to hide the thinning, but it is progressively getting harder to hide the thinning as well as the extensions. So, this is where my dilemma comes in.

I have been all over the internet looking for alternatives. I do not want to wear wigs to just be honest. I do not think I could handle coming in and taking my hair off every day, plus I do not want to be restricted like that. I am very active and a wig would take that away from me. I have been to HPI here in Nashville, TN, but I wasn't very impressed. Plus, the lady there told me that I didn't need to do anything and she put this big ratty thing on my head and told me I could use clips, which looked stupid and I do not want to clip things to my head. I am to the point that I am willing to take out these extensions and shave my head and wear a piece. I also went and met with Richard Farrell in Atlanta. I thought he was really nice, but the price is outrageous..... and I am just a college student trying to get by..... but I will pay out the a@@ if I have to, to be able to have something that looks real.

Now, I have read posts against Farrell and I am a little hesitant about it. I know I can make a template and do it myself, but I do not want to do that. I can not bring myself to shave my head myself and I do not know how to even begin to go through this process. I need a full service company to help me through this. Being a woman and going through this has been very tough and I am torn as to what to do. I do not want to make the wrong decision and regret it for the rest of my life. If anyone can lead me in the right direction then please help. And, I do not wear my hair short. Right now my hair is to the middle of my back and it has always been long. I have many social events coming up this winter and need to do something soon as I will not be able to go on with the extensions until then. I am in hiding at the moment until I get this hair thing under control.

So, if anyone wants to help me out please feel free to tell me your experience with places. Also, if anyone knows of anywhwere close to Nashville that would be great.

2. ScaredSally

ScaredSally Guest

Your prediciment sounds extrodinarily like mine .. I too have extensions and have researched enough to find a place that will cover my head when teh time comes ....

I wish I could help you in regards to places to go where you live but I live in Great Britain and it was hard enough locating a place here .

Do you not have a hair loss centre near you ? try looking up in the yellow pages (I dont know if you have those there !) ... do a search on the internet for hair replacement services ... I was lucky in that I live in London there are a few around here but you MUST check your places and make sure you see an example of their work first hand ....

3. tbacchi

tbacchi Guest

I also have Great Lengths and I love them. It's been exactly a year for me since I started with them. I hope and pray that my hair miraculously grows back before I need to wear something else. I don't know how much I can handle.
    T.

4. Is your hair loss all over, or just in front? Are you able to hide it mostly right now if you took out the extenstions?

I've heard good things about bonded hair pieces on this board, but it is expensive and time consuming. I've worn toppers, but my scalp became too sensitive to handle the clips. If you don't have a real sensitive scalp, I would recommend a topper. I know it seems really awful at first, but you do eventually get used to it. I would still be wearing my topper if it wasn't physically uncomfortable for me.

Also, have you had your hair loss diagnosed?

-Kelly

5. Hello gbslaf,

I know the devastation you are facing. I began losing my hair at puberty and felt so all alone. There was no internet and no support group. I was adopted and didn't know what was happening to me. Doctors were of very little help.

I finally took the plunge to wear a bonded piece because, like you, I did not want to wear a wig which would be a constant reminder of my situation. I think I saw an ad in the paper for a hair replacement centre, went for a consultation, and decided that a hair system would be better than the alternative.

Well 12 years of hair replacement later this is how I feel:

It is not my natural hair and I still have days where I feel sorry for myself but it looks like my hair, I don't take it off except when I go for my appointment and, in fact, I get compliments on my beautiful hair.

I urge you to try this approach as it is the best alternative for the situation. If you absolutely hated it, you could use tape then clips on the system as your own hair grew out.

It is a huge step but, really, what have you got to lose??

Also, I have read where payments can be made on a hair system (yes, I know it's expensive).

Hope you feel better.

6. Peony

Peony Guest

Hi Californiagirl,
    I just started wearing a topper, and the clips suck, but they are working out okay in the meantime. Ultimately, I want to do the bonding hair system route, but I have no idea where to turn for a quality piece for bonding....is the cap of a bonded piece much thinner than the cap of a piece with clips? How much are you paying for your bonded system, who makes the pieces, how long do they last, do you use tape or glue, how long in between salon visits, etc......A million questions. I'm trying to convince the local wig shop to get into bonding, that there is a definite market in my area, but having trouble figuring out what to do.

gbslaf--I've got to say, wearing a hairpiece with clips is a thousand times better than wearing toppik and fear with my own hair. I've been MUCH more active than I was before the topper, in part b/c i'm not paranoid anymore...I can get sweaty and not look like shit, I can wear a bike helmet, and I'm going to try out swimming at the beach this weekend (although I'm afraid the clips will pull when my real hair is wet underneath--I generally wear the piece a bit wet after I wash is but ALWAYS dry my own hair before putting it on). It just sits on the top of my head, so you can run your hands through my hair and not feel it..So it might not cramp your style as much as you think it will, just so you know.

7. gbslaf

gbslaf Guest

Hey Ladies,

Thanks for your responses, it is so nice to know that there are other people out there going through the same thing and that care enough to give some advice.
    As to Kellyee22, I have not been diagnosed so to say, but when it started happening a year ago I went to my regular doctor and had them run all the normal tests: blood cell counts, thyroid, testosterone and the whole deal and everything was normal. So, i went to a dermatologist who just told me that it was temporary and probably brought on by stress and a poor diet. I then went to a different dermatologist and he just said that i was genetically losing my hair and that i should just face it and prescribed me elidel to put on the thin areas. Elidel is for skin problems, so I never picked that prescription up. So, I have no faith in the doctors. I wish I could go to someone that knows what the are talking about, but at this time I have no insurance and it is just to expensive to go. Hopefully my husbands insurance will kick in soon and I can try to find someone to go to. My hair loss is diffused throughout my head, but mainly on top. If I took the extensions out I would not have hardly any hair. So, I am at my end here as to what to do, being that the holidays are just around the corner.
    I am still very reluctant to use Farrell because of the money, so I may go to a place near my home and see if I like there systems. I met with them last year and at that time the lady told me I didnt need it, but then I did not have extensions and I still had hair. I think she will change her mind if she sees me again. She showed me the clip on ones, but at that time it felt really tight on my head. I guess it is a learning process, but I just wish there was a place that we women could get a top quality solution.