Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

HELP

Discussion in 'Women's Alopecia Areata' started by Cat, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Cat

Cat Guest

I am at a loss for words. Just shocked at what my body is doing to me. Against all rational thinking, I did go ahead and get extensions. Although very sparsley spaced, and in many places quite obvious, I have some hair. I LOVE hair. For the past 2 weeks I have lost far LESS hair than 'normal', but TODAY.......I cannot believe what fell out. This plain sucks. I have been watching my hair fall out for 5 months now. When will it stop??????? If I knew there was an end in sight, I could deal.

2. redclaire

redclaire Guest

{{{{Cat}}}}} I know... if only we could see the end. Whether it be good or bad, at least we'd know... but this.... this...un ending ocean of torture... I'm so sorry.

3. Joann

Joann Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    ((((Cat)))) Big Hugs to you. I wish I could give you an answer to your question. I'm so sorry that I can't. I truly understand how you feel as does everyone here.

I know of cases where people with Alopecia Areata have lost all their hair in a matter of a couple months or even less. Though shocking as it would be in my own case it took 10 years for me to lose it all and the daily stress that I went through was something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. It was easier for me when I cut the last lock of hair I had left if you can believe that. I was still depressed but at least I didn't have to worry anymore about how bad it was going to get or if I would lose it all.

Your Alopecia Areata could go into remission at any time Cat. As bad as it may look now the percentage of people who go to the more severe forms of AT and Alopecia Universalis is not that high. I know of cases where all the hair was lost but then started to grow back to a full head of hair even without treatment.

So you see there is always hope. Even in my own case Alopecia Areata did not follow a predictable pattern. I lost nearly all my hair at 4 . At that age the prognosis of the hair growing back is remote. Yet that is exactly what happened . I also had 20 years when it was in remission really unheard of for someone who was diagnosed so young.

Cat, you will get through this difficult time and we will help you. I admire you so much for going out and finding cosmetic options to make you hair look fuller at this time. I was in denial for a long time and I should have done the same thing long before I did. It does help to find something that makes you feel better about how you look.

Take care. Better days are ahead. All my best. Joann

4. at_a_loss

at_a_loss Guest

{{{{{ CAT }}}}}

Big hugs... we've been there and know you can get through this! We are here to listen to your ups and downs...

5. Cat

Cat Guest

Thank you ladies. This is such a difficult time. No one person, trusty derm included, can give me any indication of how long this will go on. It is driving me CRAZY. Finally just today I was given a referall to an endo. I don't know if I am 'pie in the sky' wishfull, or if it will be beneficial. I know it has to be hormone related. Would anyone recommend the bcp?? Or do you just let 'IT' happen?

6. Joann

Joann Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    ((((Hi Cat,))))

I'm not sure if going on the BCP will put your Alopecia Areata into remisison. I felt that my last bout of Alopecia Areata was triggered by changing hormones but no doctors or derms agreed with me.

I tend to think that if the BCP would help they would be at least trying it as a possible treatment for some cases of Alopecia Areata where hormones seem to factor in.You really have nothing to lose by trying it so I guess it's up to you as to whether you want to or not.

I tried many different things when this last bout of Alopecia Areata flared up. Ten years worth of trying and still Alopecia Areata won in the end in my case anyway.

It just seems that with autoimmune conditions we have so very little if any control. My youngest brother who is 39 and never sick a day in his life developed a severe case of colitis another autoimmune condition. They did everything to put it in remission but no way could they. He ended up losing 40 pounds and had to have his colon removed. That was the sure cure for his colitis. His immune system can't attack his colon if he doesn't have one.

I understand your frustration totally. I was in denial for so long that it was only when I had one lock of hair left that I realized this was not a battle I was going to win.

Please let us know how you make out at your endo appointment and what you decide Cat. Good luck.Big Hugs. Joann

7. Kath

Kath Guest

Cat, I'm so sorry for the rough time you're going through. I think the worst part is the not knowing. I always feel like if someone gave me a timetable I could plan out how I would handle things, but instead they give you some things to try, but no guarantee that anything will work. It's like a crapshoot.
    Sometimes BCPs have been known to help hair loss, in my case stopping it made mine a whole lot worse. I think it depends on the individual and the horomone levels to begin with. Best of luck with everything. We're all here for you.

8. New Girl

New Girl Guest

Cat have you thought of a birth control that is not a hormone like IUD.
    They used to be something that caused issue in the past when they were metal or something, but they are great now.
    I have put a link in to help you research it.
    Getting it put in is some what painful. I would say like really bad cramps and a pap smear combined, but you have it put in and then your done for 10 years.
    Just a thought if you are concerned it is from the bcp's.

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/pp2/po ... on-iud.xml

9. Cat

Cat Guest

Thanks ladies. I have not looked into an IUD, but I will research it. I don't know anyone who uses that. I do wan't to stay away from hormones and let my body find its balance. Geez I hope it hurries!!!