Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Helpless Diagnosis today...when will I learn to accept this?

Discussion in 'Tell Your Story' started by Danita44, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Danita44

Danita44 Guest

I've been visiting this site for almost two years now--looking for answers and trying to calm my fears. Today I registered. I need this forum to express my feelings and thoughts.

I've hidden my hairloss from family and friends up until very recently. My shedding is diffuse--so not many people have noticed...or said anything. At least half of the volume of my hair is gone. I've had every test run on me. My hormones are fine. Thyroid is fine. Iron level is good. Vitamin D level is good. No lupus. No systemic illness of any sort. Today I received what I feel is the final diagnosis for my hair shedding--drumroll...no medical cause can be found. Scalp biopsy resluts: No TE...No androgenic alopecia. Healthy scalp. Okay. That's good news, right? Well then why am I losing so much hair everyday? My story is the same as many I've read.

I'm 43. The shed began about 2 years ago. More strands falling down my legs in the shower. More strands in the hairbrush/comb. More strands of hair everywhere. And lately, it been picking up speed. I stopped counting. It just fills me with anxiety to count. I started Rogaine last week. To say the shed increased would not begin to describe it. I was literally shaking in the shower this Friday and didn't leave the house for the entire weekend. I was certain my hair was all going to fall out overnight. It hasn't, however, the shedding is still terrible. I've researched hours and hours on-line. Many say to stick with the Rogaine through this "dread shed". Today my dermatologist said the same. So I will. Half-heartedly.

I've never had thick hair. But I had enough. I'll even be happy with what's left....if only it will just stop shedding in such high numbers. I wish it was only 50-100 strands a day. God, that would be a dream come true.

Ladies, as I write this, I'm shaking. It's been going on for two years...but now that I have the "no answer" answer, I feel completely at a loss. Furthermore, the Rogaine is making the shed worse. When will I stop fretting over this and get on with my life? Is this normal that I'm thinking about my hairloss 24/7? It's disrupting my sleep, work, relationships....my life. I never considered myself to be vain. I don't care about having beautiful hair. I just want to keep what I have. Guess I need to work on the acceptance piece, huh?

Any words of advice are sincerely appreciated.

2. JeHope

JeHope Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Danita, I'm sorry you're going through this. It's tough, I know. My dred shed was just awful. It will pass. Just keep telling yourself that it is a sign that the rogaine is working and that the shed can only get better. My dred shed lasted about 2 weeks, and I now have been on rogaine for almost 2 years. I still think about my hair loss everyday, but never focus on it for very long. Don't let it consume your life- it's not worth it. I just pray everyday for a cure and that helps!

3. megan99

megan99 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hey there. My minoxidil dread shed lasted easily more than a month...literally hundreds(500+). Then one night when I thought I was going to lose my mind--I put aloe vera on my scalp to help the awful itching--and it felt like my head was on fire. I will never forget that. If I were to put aloe on my scalp today it would feel great. ha.

Anyway in the morning--like a switch the shed stopped. No, I don't think it was the aloe. Because I was such a high shedder I believe I grew back more than the usual.

If you are a first time minoxidil user and it increased your shed, I really believe you will see success. You have to know that you can lose sooo much more hair than you think humanly possible and still have full coverage of your head. Once the shedding stops, it will thicken up quickly...

4. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I started losing hair in perimenopause - there is a genetic factor and definitely hormone related with that timing. I tried everything out there, now wear a topper. Someone mentioned dutasteride (avodart) the other day - this was the last thing I tried and it did help. - but by then my hair loss was too far advanced. I have lost quite a bit after stopping treatment.

5. Georgina

Georgina Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Lily

I have only this week started taking dutasteride. I’ve begun on 0.5mg a week because I’m worried about messing with my hormones too much, and I also beleive that 0.5mg is equivalent to 5 days worth of 5mg Finasteride. Can I ask what your expirnces with dutasteride were, what your dosage was and if you got a shed? Thanks!

6. Georgina

Georgina Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I feel like that’s what I am headed for sadly. I’m only 24 and went through menopause at 21. My entire body hair thinned. My brows, lashes, scalp hair - everywhere. My hair loss was so fast and before I started minoxidil I had BAD hairline recession. Like a solid Norwood 2. Luckily the minoxidil helped with that, but I have still steadily been having hair thinning with emphasis on the top and crown of my head. I’ve noticed more recently my
    Brows and lashes are thinning again too. I pray that the dutasteride will help. Estrogen replacement never did.

7. Paperclips

Paperclips Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Danita44,
    I just joined and am in a similar boat. I'm 41 and started losing hair in the last year without a cause. My suspicion is my birth control pill, so I am thinking of going off it.

I started Minoxidil 8 weeks ago and am still shedding. Nothing to report yet. I'll keep you posted.