Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Here For My Daughter

Discussion in 'Women's Alopecia Universalis & Totalis' started by Raf&Olenda, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Raf&Olenda

Raf&Olenda New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hello all,

I have never written anything on any forum let alone a forum for women with Alopecia. I have had Alopecia Universalis since the age of 8 and I am now 42. Now my 10 year old daughter has started loosing her hair. Needless to say I am devastated. Never in a million years did think or expect that any of my children, let alone my baby girl, would have to endure what I had to. I dont know what to do. We have told her and she took it like a champ. But I am afraid that she is putting up a front, that she is strong, and when the reality of this hits her she will have a melt down. I don't know what to do. I know I have to be the big strong man that she looks up to but inside it is tearing me apart! What do I say to her? What do I tell her?

A Loving Father

2. Moderator

Moderator Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Hi,

There are not a lot of members here with Alopecia Areata hairloss. I'm not sure where you live but there is an organization called NAAF who have a lot of information to offer, support groups and hold a conference once a year in different states each year. This year the conference will be in Washington DC.

Here is the website for you: https://www.naaf.org

There is also a site called Alopecia World where you connect with others who have Alopecia Areata hairloss themselves or whose family members have it.

http://www.heralopecia.com

3. sunlit

sunlit Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I am so so sorry to hear about your daughter's situation. Having said that, I think that having you as a father, she's in the best position she could be. Not only do you sound like an incredibly caring and loving dad, but also you've "been there, done that". If she feels hopeless about her hair loss at any point, she can look at you and think "well, my dad is a great person and has a good life, and he has alopecia, so it's OK" and feel comforted and good about herself again. She'll know from her own experiences and from yours that she is still the same person as before and still exactly as loved and still has the same chance of happiness. Having you as a role model, it will be much easier for her than for another child who doesn't know someone else with alopecia, let alone such close family. She will never have to feel alone with it and you'll give her more confidence. I'm really sorry to hear that your daughter is going through this and understand you must be in so much pain, but it's going to help her a lot that she has you to look up to.