Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Hi and what does this look like?

Discussion in 'Tell Your Story' started by sfbay, Nov 26, 2012.

1. sfbay

sfbay Guest

Hi,

I have been reading a lot on the forum and am going through similar things with my hair and scalp. Just wanted to see if anyone has any idea what this looks like/could be. Much appreciated!

I am 26 and I have noticed some minor level of thinning on the top of my head ~5-6 years ago, never really paid attention until about 1 year ago because it wasn't really bothering me too much.

About 2 years ago, I started a job in a very stressful environment (100+hours/week, as a result, started drinking a lot whenever I can to de-stress). My hair was doing fine until about one year later - My hair became really really dry and i noticed that my scalp is a lot more noticeable than before. I started using Rogaine on my own for several weeks but had to stop because the itching and flaking was simply unbearable.

A month later, I visited a dermatologist and she said the condition is likely temporary and ordered a broad set of blood tests> the only thing that came back abnormal was my vitamin D level(very low) and I have been taking Vitamin D since. 6 months later, I went in again for a follow up, my hair is still terrible and my scalp is still itchy if not worse, and I am still taking vitamin D.

Here is a recent pic of how my hair looks like on the top of my head...:(. Can you see the red dots as well? What can these be??

Thank you for reading and hopefully I can figure out what is going on...

Attached Files:

2. AmyCE

AmyCE Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi sfbay,

Sorry to hear about your hair loss. From reading other posts and seeing photos, it might be TE--especially if you have been under a lot of stress at work. I have a different kind of hair loss though so can't be sure. It seems encouraging that your bloodwork was OK (other than the vitamin D--if you live in the Bay Area like I do and don't see the sun for weeks, that would explain it!). My only advice would be to treat yourself kindly. If you can't change your work schedule, maybe look into ways to manage stress when you do have some free time? Meditation, yoga, just catching up with a good girlfriend would all do wonders. Eating well, sleeping more if you can, drinking less. My hair loss was a major wake-up call for me to take better care of myself, both physically and emotionally. Good luck and hang in there!

Take care,
    Amy

3. mycurlyhair

mycurlyhair Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi, I also had very low D and was drinking more then usually when my hair loss started earlier this year. Not alot, but every weekend I would have a few with friends. Hmmm, the dots, my scalp gets like that too and is also really itchy. Do you have a dry scalp? Does it flake at all? Do you notice the redness ago away? Have you been coloring your hair much?

4. sfbay

sfbay Guest

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Hi mycurlyhair, interesting! I have not colored my hair for at least 3-4 years, now I am scared to ever do anything to my hair... My skin is usually on the dry side but it's nothing crazy. My scalp usually itches when i touch it / towards the end of the day when it gets kinda dirty / when i get stressed out. It does not flake much, but I do get sebums, esp in the hair loss areas.

As for the redness, i dont know if they go away, i feel like they are often there when i look at my scalp but i dont constantly notice them, you know what i mean?

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Amy, thanks for the advice and it really serves a reminder to me as well, and btw, I do love yoga!

5. Gypsy99

Gypsy99 Guest

How is your period and your testerone levels? looks better than mine. i have androgenetic alopecia. You say 5 6 years back. Could be Androgenetic Alopecia

6. DonnaL

DonnaL Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I've seen red dots on my scalp as well, though they're not always there. I don't use any products like Rogaine though. No idea what it could be caused by. I always thought it was a sign of inflammation because I have burning scalp syndrome as well as excessive shedding.