Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Hi...new to all this...a little lost

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed Alopecians' started by jlkramer, Jun 23, 2011.

1. jlkramer

jlkramer Guest

Hi!

I am a 28 yr old mother to a 6, 5, and 1 yr old. I started losing my hair about 2 1/2 months ago and I have lost over 80% of it. I know that I have autoimmune issues (thyroid, ppp psoriasis...) but this is new. I quit nursing my baby at about the same time this started so I thought it might have been related but it has yet to stop. I have seen several doctors that really offered little help or encouragement (Except my most recent trip to Cleveland) and all my labs/tests come back normal.

I honestly feel a little lost...I have been diagnosed with Alopecia Areata but I do not have the patches like other others have described. It is just everywhere thinning...top of my head, legs, arms, eyebrows...um...everywhere. I still have about 1/2 my eyebrows and most of my eyelashes but I don't know what to expect there either. I am trying to ride out the summer with the amount of hair I have now and then go from there. I am trying to think of ways to be able to wear my hair without having it look so thin. Headbands? Any other suggestions? I had really long hair (down to by rear end) but I recently cut it off to my shoulders hoping that might help. It is rather shocking to go from having to have your stylist thin your hair at every appt. to having to find a way to deal with such thin hair.

My husband has been really supportive but I am honestly just not feeling like myself lately - just need to snap out of it I guess. Any advice would be helpful! I will try to post photos if I can figure it out.

2. FLgirl

FLgirl Guest

Oh gosh, that is happening really fast... so sorry! You've come to the right place. There are many different types of hair loss sufferers here, but it doesn't matter what type or the cause, this place is VERY supportive. You can look under the "Wigs, Extensions, Toppers & Hair Systems" section and find lots of good info.

I have Androgenetic Alopecia, not Alopecia Areata, but many here can help you out with questions specific to Alopecia Areata. Welcome and hope you feel better soon. :)

3. RugBug

RugBug Guest

Hi and welcome! Your comment about going from needing your hairdresser to thin your hair to trying to figure out how to hide the thinning....hit home! Less than one year ago, I was having mine thinned... I have a very fast moving Androgenetic Alopecia... felt I needed a topper in January to look like "me"....now I need one to look normal. In the beginning, I was a certifiable nut case. I don't even remember this past Christmas because I was in such a state of frazzle! However, read through my posts and you can kind of monitor my acceptance progression. The need to "feel like yourself" is, in my opinion, the most important step. When I was having panic and anxiety attacks was by FAR, the worst. I'm still losing buckets of hair but no longer feel crazy about it. I found that as soon as I had a cosmetic fix, everything got much easier to tackle. I'm now in a place where I'm okay if it never grows back. My advice....thank your husband for being supportive....appreciate the hair you have while you have it....start considering a topper.... and...realize RIGHT now that a lot of pretty spectacular girls are riding this roller coaster with you!

4. jlkramer

jlkramer Guest

Thanks for the encouragement...lost a ton of hair in the shower the other day - very frustrating!

I bought some topic but since the hair on the front of my head is so thin - it just creates a film there - don't think that can be helped. I used it today with a headband - looks ok but my head is kinda large so I am having a tough time finding a headband that fits right - any suggestions? Also, what is a topper? Sorry - new here...

5. yvette

yvette Guest

Why don't you get a wig cut just like your hair shoulder length and wear it when you go out. That will make you feel more comfortable in public. I am so sorry you are going thru this with your children being small and you being panicky. I am very glad your husband is supportive, some are not and some of us are divorced and feel like, what do we do now?? I know it is scary and the drs. dismiss it mostly as cosmetic. Most just aren't terribly helpful. I wish you the best and I'll say a prayer for you.

6. mshistory

mshistory Guest

Hi jlkramer, I've lost a lot of hair very quickly, too. I do have Androgenetic Alopecia but I was recently diagnosed with Sjogren's Syndrome which may be contributing to the rapid loss. Like RugBug, I was so anxious and depressed over my hair loss, I ended up seeing a psychiatrist. Now that I am being treated for my anxiety and depression, it's been better for me emotionally.

Also, I second getting a really pretty wig now and maybe even a new pixie haircut. I got a wig last week (ordered online) and it's really very pretty - went to my hairdresser yesterday who cut my hair into a really cute pixie cut that hides a lot of the hair loss (except on the back of my head where there's just not much hair!) and styled my wig a bit and it actually looks good and very natural! It is really reassuring to have that supplemental hair when I feel like I need it.

I hope things turn around for you soon - wishing you the best!