Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"
  1. So I have been experiencing the world of alopecia for several years now. I was sent to a doctor for injections but this made it worse. I recently got married (in August) and was faced with the having to wear a hair piece. I was unimpressed with the hair dresser I went to as she commented at length on my patches on what was supposed to be my special day. I am sick and tired of the patches, although I can cover some of them one of them resides on the top of my head. I HATE it at this point I want to shave my head. I feel embarrassed and am sick of people staring at me on the bus. I just don't know what to do. I am not prepared to wear a wig by any stretch of the imagination, and although I realize shaving my head would make me "bald" in some respects I am wondering if it would be liberating.

2. Joann

Joann Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome Shadow :grouphug: I'm sorry to hear about Alopecia Areata hairloss but glad that you found support here on HA.

My own hairloss is from Alopecia Areata too. I've had it on and off for most of my life. I don't know the percentage of hair you have left. Some people with Alopecia Areata do choose to shave their heads when at 50% loss & very patchy.

I've never done this myself but I kept my hair fairly short as my loss was from the bottom up and around the sides. At 50% loss I was bare halfway up my head but I still had the illusion of hair scarce as it was.

When the loss progressed to the point that I only had a lock of hair left I cut it off so I would have it to keep as a memory. I must admit that it was somewhat of a relief that there was no more watching the hair disappear day by day, no more hair left to lose.

I believe that you will know when and if it's time to shave your head. It's a decision no one can really make for you. You have to make it for yourself.

Hugs,
    Joann

3. MFirefly

MFirefly Guest

Dearest Mistaken Wolf Shadow,
    Your hairdresser comment caught my attention. I am a hairdresser and I know how some stylists can be. I have had clients with no hair from forms of hair loss unrelated to Alopecia and others from chemotherapy... and it isnt easy to talk with them about it because as I know all too well now, it is the hardest thing to lose one's hair.

The purpose in my response is to tell you about some options for wigs and etc. I have recently really gotten into extensions and weaves/wigs. And tho I haven't researched the effects of alternates of wigs on people with Alopecia, I cannot imagine it would be any more harmful than wearing a full wig all day.
    I am unaware of the extent of your loss.... but have you thought about extensions??? with my own bout with Alopecia Areata, it is a strong consideration. A track of hair can be sewn in or GLUED to scalp over or above your spots. With natural hair extensions, this hair can be dyed and cut to blend perfectly with the rest of your hair.
    Instead of shaving your head, which I have a feeling you aren't too comfy with, you can get a full weave. The hair you have left can be braided into tracks (I would keep them loose to avoid pulling more hair out and extensions can be sewn into them.

I also dont know if you have heard of lace front wigs, but unlike the traditional wig you may imagine... lace wigs offer a part and everything looking exactly like realy hair! We must all keep in mind that wigs and extensions are a BOOMING business! and they aren't all for people with alopecia. It is VERY COMMON for people to wear wigs now! And you would be suprised at the women you will see daily that are ewaring them that you can't even tell at all!

I wish you the best and I hope this helps!

4. littlenewo

littlenewo Guest

Hi! I am so sorry that you are dealing with Alopecia Areata, to put it rather bluntly - it sucks!
    As far as shaving ones head-
    Many including myself, have felt great relief from either buzzing or completely shaving our heads. Now when I clipped mine with my husbands beard trimmer I had four spots on my crown and was almost conpletely bald on the sides. For me' I could not bare to watch anymore fall out. I understand the frustration and heartache it causes to even be faced with clipping or shaving your head.
    For me', I now have tremendous regrowth and my hair is a cute pixie style, actually a bit longer than a true pixie. I do still have spots on the top of my head and my nape is bare but I can now cover those spots fairly well with my regrowth.

I guess what I am saying, is that for me' it was very liberating to clip all of my hair off. I had cut it to about a half an inch. It helped me' accept the Alopecia Areata, and deal with it better because I no longer had to see the hair EVERYWHeRE! It may be the same for you if your loss is so much that you can not cover it.

5. littlenewo

littlenewo Guest

Also, when I clipped my hair- it looked like a globe, you know hair and bald spots patched all over. At first I bleached all of my left over hair- which blended it well with my scalp- lol. I thought more people would stare or ask me' questions, but truly no one except friends asked about it. They asked rather nonchalantly as well, like hey what did you do to your hair. I just told them I had alopecia, and they just said 'oh' and we went along conversing without a further mention.

Best wishes in what ever you do :)

6. Janie-Ann

Janie-Ann Guest

Hi, MFirefly! Welcome! Sorry you're experiencing this all first hand now too.
    Also sorry to make a welcome post and a negative response all in one but I just wanted to add a bit about my experience with hair sewed into a braided track. For me, it was just a nightmare and when I had the piece and track removed just about two agonizing months later there was a perfect extra-bald little halo around my head where the traction of the braid had pulled out the hairs. It took almost a full year for that halo to fill in and look like the rest of my hair. (crappy)
    As far as keeping the track or braid loose, that was the worst part of the whole experience. As my bio hair grew and the track loosened, the piece sewn into it shifted and tugged and pulled even more and I was just miserable.
    Maybe the method is good for women with stronger bio hair -- the salon I went to was certainly filled with women having it done or serviced. But for me it was a painful, expensive, horrible mistake.
    Sorry to sound so "contrary." I know you were just being helpful when you suggested it
    :)