Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Highlighting my hair with TE

Discussion in 'Styling & Hair Care Tips for AGA Sufferers' started by StaceyMaidens, Apr 15, 2015.

1. StaceyMaidens

StaceyMaidens New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hey there,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. I have been suffering with TE since last June (I just had it confirmed two weeks ago) and I was wondering if getting highlights would make my hair shed even worse? I haven't had my roots done in ages and I feel horrible. I am not sure if I should risk putting chemicals on my hair when it is going through this or wait until it finally comes to an end, which I have no idea when. Any help/advice would be very much appreciated.

Stacey:)

2. Wolf924

Wolf924 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I had TE for 8 months, seems to be slowed now, although waiting for more regrowth. I just got mine done last night and there was not a major shed, so I say do it. It will make you feel better about it for sure.

3. StaceyMaidens

StaceyMaidens New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hello Wolf924, do you know what caused your TE? The dermatologist that I went to see told me it was because I stopped the BCP but it has been 11 months. I notice more shedding after I have washed my hair. Also my dermatologist wanted me to get a blood test for Iron which I am waiting for results back

So no increase in shedding after your hair has been coloured?

4. Jenk

Jenk Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    All doctors have told me that with TE or Androgenetic Alopecia coloring your hair doesn't make it any worse. I was afraid to do it myself for MANY months. Stacy- if your BCP was a high androgen index pill like Loestrin - it's possibly sensitized your hair to the tons of male hormone contained in those pills. I was on Loestrin and had TE for the first time in my entire life and I am still fighting hair loss 11 months later. I had a second bout of TE when my hormones got messed up again because a doctor prescribed an herb for PMS she knew nothing about. Messing up my cycle caused a second TE. Always the advice is STAY AWAY from BCP even if it's recommended to you to get your hair back. It's poison.. if you are young enough try to get your own hormones going as best you can with nutrients etc.. Magnesium Glycinate (sold at the Vitamin Shoppe) helps a lot with your cycles and stopping the stress responses, which hurts your hair as well.

5. Wolf924

Wolf924 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have 2 chronic infections--CMV and EBV, which caused a hormone imbalance and adrenal gland issues. I am recovering but my doctor wants to do bio identical hormone therapy to assist with the imbalance. I am scared to do it, but she was right on so many other points I fugiure I may have to try it--I mean, other than hair loss, I have frequent periods, fatigue, acne, I am kind of a mess. I am 34.

- - - Updated - - -

And no, my shedding has not increased.

6. StaceyMaidens

StaceyMaidens New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I was on Yasmin if that helps lol. I was only on the BCP for a year. I would never go back on it again even if they offered it to me. TE has been a really bad experience and I just wish it would end. I am going on holiday soon and I really wanted my hair done, but still really scared in case I make it worse. When about did you dye your hair after being scared about doing it if I may ask? I had a blood test last week to check my Iron levels and still waiting for results!