Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Highlights

Discussion in 'Styling & Hair Care Tips for AGA Sufferers' started by tbacchi, Nov 9, 2005.

1. tbacchi

tbacchi Guest

I have been avoiding having my hair colored for over a year. Today, I went and got highlights put back in my hair. My hair looks 100% better than it did this morning. JUST DO IT.
    T.

2. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I am quite gray and my hair would look even worse than it currently does if I went "natural." I've posted several times that both my current and previous derm. said that coloring was not an issue (but to use high quality products) and that I've lost body hair in places that I've obviously never ever colored. So that wasn't a factor! :wink:

3. skleeners

skleeners Guest

I know, it is frightening to get your hair done. I am 36 but have gray hair and have to get my hair dyed (no question). It freaks me out but even more now since my hairdresser has left town. I have been coloring my hair at home which is something that I have never done and have not had my hair cut since June. I am pathetic looking. I have curly unrulely brown hair, and split ends. I am going to have to break down soon.

Skleeners

4. tbacchi

tbacchi Guest

I feel that I have been very lucky with hair stylists. Only one man was unbelievably rude to me when this whole thing started. I found 2 stylists that were incredibly sensitive and gentle with my hair.

I have been too embarassed about my hair to go back to the stylist that's been coloring and cutting my hair for years!
    T.

5. kookla

kookla Guest

I keep avoiding getting it cut. For a long time I think it stopped growing and I'm a bit afraid to cut it and it then it doesn't grow. Forget highlights, I will have to wait until summer when I hope I have some more hair by then.

6. tbacchi

tbacchi Guest

kookla,
    When I am at the salon, and I get my hair done, I feel more like my old self. I feel good about myself again. I asked the stylist last week if I could walk the streets of NY looking the way I do. She looked at me like I was out of my mind. So, I continue to believe that we are most critical of ourselves and no one else really gives a sh-t!

T.

7. kookla

kookla Guest

You're right, I know I am the ONLY one looking at my hair up close and picking it up and checking for regrowth underneath. When I was shedding a lot, I was embarrased to have the assistant wash my hair because I thought he would be grossed out to get a lot of hair in his hands while washing it. Now I can probably cut it and I need a good cut but I think it is growing slowly right now and I want longer hair so I at least have the illusion of some thickness. What I really hate is going to the dentist where I am afraid they can see up close and personal and will notice my hair or lack thereof. But who give a @#%, as you say. I am sorry to say I have cancelled a few engagements because of the possbility of someone's scrutiny of my hair (and really, my hair looks pretty good at least from a few feet away).

8. tbacchi

tbacchi Guest

The other thing my stylist said when I asked her if I looked okay, was that most women avoid cutting their hair when they are having problems and then it looks like they really have a problem. But I know what you mean. I am way too embarassed to go back to my stylist who has been cutting my hair for years. I just saw her last Saturday and she also told me I was out of my mind. I am embarassed of the state of my hair!
    T.

9. kookla

kookla Guest

I did tell my stylist when I started to shed and she was great. She used her hands to dry the hair, didn't really use the brush much at all and was gentle with it to minimize pulling. It's in much better shape now, so I need to go back. I'm also embarrassed she will see I've lost a lot of the "weight" to my hair.

10. tbacchi

tbacchi Guest

Like it's our fault, right???

11. kookla

kookla Guest

Well I got it cut but wouldn't let her thin it out at all. She thought it was thick. I guess she could have thinned it a little but I was too scared to do that to my hair at this point. I swear sometimes you can't tell a thing looking at my hair and other times I think the scalpy spot is getting BIGGER. What is that all about? I know I am still shedding, but I am so off with my perception of what is normal now regarding shedding, I'm paranoid any shed is a bad one. I didn't do the highlights yet maybe much later. I used to pluck out any gray I saw and now I don't dare remove a hair. I'll take any hair I can get. I think I have less gray now but I guess I have less hair now too LOL.

12. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    DON'T pluck out the gray. My daughter, who has lovely thick hair, was plucking out her gray hairs. Her hairdresser scolded her--if you keep at it, that hair will eventually not come back. We don't need to help the process along.

13. Gosh, hairdressers wanting to thin your hair?

Sounds like you all have a lot more hair than I do.

14. kookla

kookla Guest

PR- I really am "cured" at this point. My new derm says I never had Androgenetic Alopecia and my TE shed is over. My hair is regrowing and the density is there. I still have a long way back to "normal" but it appears to be over for me until the next TE. I still think my hair falls out too much but my perception is skewed from the 4 months of abnormal shedding. My derm said I don't even have a spot to apply rogaine at this point. He pooh poohs the ferritin connection but hey, I am doing much better so who can argue with success, no matter how crazy it might sound to some. I'd take snake oil if it worked - never hurts to keep an open mind, which is something most doctors don't have.

Please update on your Dr. Redmond appointment. I'm really hoping you have success with him.

15. redclaire

redclaire Guest

{ wants to rub heads with Kookla}}

16. ncny

ncny Guest

Hey me too! I'd rub heads in a sec.

Kookla, I just answered your other post about Alopecia Areata vs Androgenetic Alopecia/TE. But I didnt know you were DONE with the sheds...

Please, please, more info. How bad was it? How long did it last and how did it come on?

Thanks for humoring me.
    :)