Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Histogen the hope?

Discussion in 'New Research, Studies, and Discoveries' started by erin, May 25, 2009.

1. erin

erin Guest

When researching i found a company called "Histogen", which deals with regenerative medicine. They completed the phase 1 trial (safety trial) of a hairloss product. The resulting pictures look good, but i don't know.

I'm no biologist but i think it involves the stem cells and they claim that these stem cells can grow into hair follicles. You can look at their website. What do you think?
    Is there a miracle cure in the next decade?
    ohh i hope soooo

-erin

2. I believed Histogen was the front runner from the reading I did about a month ago (see my post regarding stem cells with the link to Histogen). However, they were sued in February or March for possible infringement by Skinmedia. I think it was over regenica, but I think it was regenica's skin care line and not the hair line of products? But I was worried this might delay the clinical trials for hair growth, but I'm not really sure.

Here is a link to the photo of hair growth after 12 weeks: http://www.histogeninc.com/aboutus/news_events.htm

3. lisalashes

lisalashes Guest

Intercytex in the UK is starting phase III trials i think (either here or in the US) i dont think it uses stem cells though, just 'clones' existing cells and injects them back in to create new follicles and and regenerates miniaturised ones.

http://www.intercytex.com/icx/products/ ... ic/icxtrc/

xLx

4. erin

erin Guest

"hairs thickness increase by 30 microns" ?
    that works for me :)

I also heard that Histogen, while working on an injectable hair regeneration product, may market a topical, lighter version of the product before 2015. What if we have something in 2 years? :)

If intercytex began phase 3 trials, this means they are the front runner. How long does phase 3 trials take? On their FAQ page, they mentioned that they hope this will work for both men and women with diffuse genetic alopecia.

Even if science doesnt' "cure" this completely, i'd very much appreciate any improvement.

-erin

5. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I've long believed that some sort of stem cell science would be my answer. I don't know about the cloning, though - I'm losing lots of hair from my "safe" area (nape of neck) - I don't know where they would find any hair to transplant that would be liable to shed, once it took root.

6. erin

erin Guest

I think cloning would help you as well. because you only need a few (maybe 3-4) good, thick hairs to be cloned. And then... volia... a full head of hair.

fingers crossed
    -erin

7. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hopefully science will be able to tell the "good" hairs from the bad. I've been losing hair for 15-16 years now - you'd think all the "bad" hair would have been gone but I still lose hair like crazy when brushing it, combing after a shampoo, even running my hands through.

8. Eztli

Eztli Guest

I dont want to rain on your parade, but I encourage you all to take this news with some... caution.

Just because they can regenerate hair follicles doesn't mean they have stopped the mechanism that causes hair loss and can prevent hair loss in the future.

For example, they have long heralded stem cells as the cure for m.s. but what they are finding now is yes, stem cells can regenerate myelin, (not that this should be discounted, regenerating nerve cells is nothing short of a medical miracle) but that does not stop the persons immune system from continuing to attack the persons myelin and the myelin that is regrown is often the first to go.

So fine, we get our lost hair follicles back but whats stopping our bodies from treating them in the same way they have treated the hair follicles we were born with?

There are a lot of people on this board, myself included who really cant find a reason for their hairloss. Originally, I had pcos, but my hormones have been under control (not only under control but at very nice levels) for years and yet I have continued to deteriorate. I think this has great potential, but i want to know that I wont lose the new hair this product has the potential to grow.

9. erin

erin Guest

I agree, to take things with some caution, but i just want to share news, because i want to remain hopeful about science.
    I just WANT to think that people, bright scientists are working more and more on this hairloss cure. And it's true, this has become a very hot topic in the last few years.
    I also think that some people want to earn a lot of money on this hair loss products, big investors in fact. This might just speed up the process, and even if they don't find the "perfect" cure, even if they find that will give 60-70% density for two years, and get a treatment every two years, it works for me.
    -erin

10. Eztli

Eztli Guest

oh I agree. if it would work, even for a couple years, it would be worth it. I just hope that my body is not like SHED, as soon as a new follicle forms.

lol.

there is also a product called acell that has been very good at skin regeneration... but its been sloooow to get here.

11. erin

erin Guest

Well, i think of it this way. Have you seen the man on Oprah Show, who lost his finger and regrew it? By using a topical powder or cream with regenerative qualities. He stated that the "new" fingers nails grow faster than the other ones :) Maybe this'll also be true for hair :)

The video is on Youtube, i think the name was "regrow finger"
    -erin

12. Eztli

Eztli Guest

yeah, actually thats the treatment I just mentioned, acell.

pigs bladder.

I have heard a lot of reports that the thing on oprah was vastly exaggerated though.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/u ... 866743.ece

I know some vets (acell is mostly used in animals now) who are not impressed with what it does. That doesn't stop me from wanting to try it though...

sometimes I am even desperate enough to think about going to the market and asking for a pigs bladder myself...