Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

How Alopecia Areopia Has Effected My Life

Discussion in 'Tell Your Story' started by Carolyn C, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Carolyn C

Carolyn C New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you for the chance to tell my story. As a child I would go to the doctor seral times a year to receive a vitamin B12 shot because of patchy hair loss. As I matured I longer had this problem and felt I was over it.
    At the age of about 58 I began again having issues of hair loss. During this time I lost a daughter and my marriage was headed downhill. Stress was overcoming me, so I consulted a dermatologist to find I had alopecia areola. I was devastated, but determined to live my life as if nothing was wrong . I started sharing my problem with my friends and before I knew It had a lot of jokes to make and receive.
    I still have NO hair, I have lost my eyebrows and eye lashes, but I look at the fact that it could be much worse. I have worn wigs now for the past 8 years and love never having to buy shampoo, conditioner, eye makeup, etc.
    My friends and I joke that when the wind is blowing I may have to chase "Henry" (my wig) thru the parking lot and we all have a good laugh. I go over nite with my friends and while they are complaining of being hot I just pull Henry off and I'm the coolest one there. Besides... I get to sleep an extra half hour because they have to get up early and do their hair
    Don't get me wrong...to this day it is still quite humiliating if someone notices when I only wear a baseball cap, but I have learned to live with it.
    I just wanted to take a minute to tell people that they can live with this. Support from your family is important and sharing your plight can be embarrassing and fun I you let it. I am now 68 years old and when someone asks me where I get my hair done I simple say, "I paid dearly for it" !!

Gina and TinaM1968 like this.