Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

How did you know?

Discussion in 'The Undiagnosed' started by janee807, Feb 2, 2010.

1. janee807

janee807 Guest

dragonfly, I can't remember, did you purchase a synthetic or real hair? I've tried to keep up with your experiences but may have missed that. I saw that you were going to post pictures, did you do that? I'll have to look again. Thank you for your support.

Vlal, thanks for the dictionary assistance. Perhaps we need to add that kind of resource here as it is a whole new language for newbies like me. I travel this site in every direction looking for information always keeping a pad beside me. I will probably start a file on my computer, might be easier. I didn't know you could add bangs to wigs; that makes me very, very happy. Thank you again.

MarshaMarsha, love that name. Your RW synthetic, did it look like real hair? Honestly I have an expensive synthetic on my head right now and, like many others have written, the shine is rather blinding. I'm also finding that with my hoodies it doesn't work well as it pushes the back up and eventually the wig off. Is that a problem for all? I also found that the volume of hair is a bit crazy; I would guess others initially felt this way. I'm having to put on more makeup as I look blanked out by all this hair. It is all about choosing the right wig, isn't it? Thanks MM

2. janee807

janee807 Guest

Okay, this is one thing that is kind of squirrelly on my part. I am rather excited about having great hair via a wig, something I haven't had in memory, that I am actually paying more attention to my clothes, accessories, etc. I feel I could be prettier. How corny is that?

3. dragonfly

dragonfly Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Janee - My wig is a synthetic and it's great. I don't have to worry about styling it, or about the damp air when I'm walking across campus to a meeting. I live in Oregon and we have some pretty wet weather here. The only thing I don't like is that there are a couple of spots I'd like to take a curling iron to just to tweak it a bit and I can't. I have to say I am terribly picky about my hair. The other issue I've had with it is that the density was wrong for me so I had to have it thinned. I am very petite (5ft, 98 pounds) and very small boned. When I first got the wig it looked like it was going to swallow me whole, but once she trimmed and thinned a bit it's great. I'm thinking I might try a Raquel Welch next. Not that I've gotten into it, I'm going to have some fun and have different lengths and
    styles :)

Dragonfly

4. janee807

janee807 Guest

Thanks for the reply dragonfly. This could get fun!

5. dragonfly

dragonfly Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Janee - I forgot to answer your question about whether or not I posted pics. I never did do it, just haven't taken the time to figure it out honestly. I'm not terribly tech savvy, so have to fiddle around a bit to get pics uploaded on the site. I'll still try to do that and start a thread indicating pics.

6. I'm 52 and have had thin fine hair since I've been in high school. It's only gotten worse through the years. This past year menopause has kicked in and my hair really started thinnning out to the point that I would look at myself in the mirror and cry. Even doing the "comb over" didn't work. I didn't have enough left to comb over.

I was at work about three weeks ago, telling a good friend of mine how depressed I was about it. She looked at me and said: "Why are you depressed? All you have to do it pay someone and you'll have all the hair you want. And every day will be a good hair day. Your hair will look better than everybodys if you just buy a wig."

I thought about it for about a week and reseaerched on line. And then I did it. Against my husbands wishes. He kept saying my hair "didn't look that bad." I think he was just afraid of what some one earlier said about how the old wigs used to look terrible.

My new wig arrived two days ago. I absolutely love it. I can't stop looking at myself in the mirror. I keep playing with it and changing the style. Because I can. I've had two fantastic hair days. I haven't had a good hair day since I was a kid.

And my hubbie loves it too. He seems to be following me around like a teenage boy in lust. :devil: He said jokingly at one point "Who the heck is that sexy looking chick in my kitchen?"

My only regret is that I didn't buy a wig earlier. Mine is synthetic. I bought the Lizzy by Rene of Paris. It's a very short wig. I was kind of afraid to go too much longer than my real hair. When I got it it's actually way longer. And so much more hair than I have. And the style doesn't look anything like the picture on line.

But it still looks great. I had to play with it for a long time to get it to look like it does now. I read somewhere on line that synthetic wigs are hung upside down before they send them to you so they have more fullness. And that when you wear them it takes a couple of days for them to settle down. I think that might be true because that was my experience with it.

I actually bought two more wigs this afternoon. Another short one, and one shoulder-length one. I'm loving it. :jump:

Just wanted to share my experience.

7. dragonfly

dragonfly Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm so glad you are so happy with your wig. I now have three, all are chin length bobs of one version of another. I am going to get a shoulder length one very soon. I have found it to be so freeing not to have to worry about what my hair looks like. I've never had great hear, although I've always been good at styling it. Now, however, it's so thin I can't do anything with it, so I bought a wig and have never been sorry.

8. Hi dragonfly,

Isn't it amazing? I keep asking my self why I didn't do this years ago. It really is so freeing, as you said. This morning I just popped the wig on and laughed to myself because I didn't have to do anything and it looked great. Great, not just presentable, which was my goal every day for as long as I can remember with my real hair.

Can't wait for my other two wigs to be delivered on Tuesday. And when my husband asks me what I want for my birthday or Christmas or any other holiday, I'm sending him a link to my wish list on voguewigs.com. ;)

You need to post pictures of you in your wigs. I would love to see how they look. I love the bobbed hair style. I have my eye on a bob called "Codi" by Rene of Paris. I'm 52, so may be too old for the bob look. But I might just stop by a wig store and give it a try anyway just to see.

Phoenix

9. janee807

janee807 Guest

Hi Ladies! Well, I can't believe your timing, your very positive stories are exactly what I need right now. This is the week that I plan to buzz my head and go permanently to a wig. I set this date some time back and it is finally coming. Life has laughed at me a bit these last weeks; family emergencies have me not quite as prepared as I would like to be. I had hoped to be well wigged by now but only have one, Estetica Designs Evette, which may or may not work. The color is right but I'm not sure on the look. I have Danielle by Henry Margu on the way. I hope to stop by the wig store again this week but they didn't have anything last week so I may not. I am SCARED witless but despite I truly feel this is the right move. Your notes definitely back that up. I did order all the tapes in every color plus some adhesive. One question, sideburns? Probably the wrong word but you hopefully get the idea. I know to pull some wig hairs down to hide that area a bit but do you shave your sideburns so that those bio hairs aren't showing?

Phoenix_Seven--looked your wig up and it is so, so cute. Very fun style. Very sexy! I have so many on my wish list now I too am hoping for wig money for every occasion. I have two Alan Easton's (Darling & Enchanting), Becky by Jon Renau, Infatuation by Raquel Welch, and Allison by Henry Margu. I would love to hear your experiences with these and other makers. Also, anyone have a monofilament? I did borrow color rings from several makers--so nice sites allow you to do that. It has been extremely helpful.

I feel so supported by everyone here. I'll be thinking of everyone, your own journeys, your strengths, later this week as I'm clutching the arm of the salon chair. I think I'll cry but I truly do think the time is right. Thank you so much again.

10. dragonfly

dragonfly Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Phoenix - I had to chuckle when you said you are 52 and think maybe the bob style might be too young for. I'm 54 and absolutely love it, but I wore my bio hair in a bob for years when I had enough to do that. Since I got my wig I've had several people tell me I look 10 years younger. 10 years! I'll take that :gay2: . AND these were people who hadn't seen me in awhile and didn't know it was a wig. Even better.

Janee - That was quite a list of wig makers you gave, but you can be sure I'll be checking them all out, including voguewigs.com that Phoenix mentioned. The one I have that I like the best is from Dream USA, but I don't remember the name of the actual style. you asked about monofiliment; I think mono is the best as it gives you the most styling options as far as where you part it. Be sure to keep us posted on how things go for you this week.

Dragonfly

11. Wow! Ten years. How exciting dragonfly. I haven't ventured out into the public forum yet with my wig on. Tomorrow is my first day at work as a "wigged" out person. I'm a little nervous about it. I read on line somewhere where someone said "Would you rather have people look at you and think 'Wow, her hair makes her look terrible', or 'Wow, she looks great in that wig.'" So that's how I'm approaching it.

Janee, welcome to the club!!!! :bravo: I checked them out and the wigs you mentioned look awesome. You're going to look so great. Don't be afraid of how "poofy" they are when you first get them. They'll settle in soon.

You asked about sideburns, and I can't really answer on that one. I didn't trim any of my old hair. I'm wearing a wig cap, and some of the hair on the sides and back is actually sticking out a little. It matches the underlying color of the wig, so doesn't look odd at all. I used hairpins to pin the wig to the cap and some of the underlying hair, so it feels very secure. Will still take some getting used to, though.

It's so nice to have both of you here! I've felt so alone with my hair loss for years. This is a wonderful site. Good luck this week Janee! I'll let everyone know tomorrow night how my first day of work goes.

Phoenix

12. janee807

janee807 Guest

Thanks again ladies. Well, I'm 52 and I am definitely going for a longer look which is what my bio hair is. The only difference, I hope, is that I will now have awesome mid-length hair. It IS nice having you both here. Good luck tomorrow Phoenix_Seven and please let us know how it goes. Thank you dragonfly for your many, many supportive, informative notes.

13. dragonfly

dragonfly Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Phoenix - The first day I wore my wig to work I was a bit nervous, but everyone was very supportive. In fact, a couple of my co-workers who have naturally thin hair are buying wigs just because they now see what a difference it can make. Some of the people I work closest with know why I'm wearing one, but others I see less often just think I let my hair grow and colored it darker. I had been wearing my hair lighter, but when I bought my wig I went with my natural meduim brown color. I, too, didn't cut any of my bio hair. I just wear a cloth head band around my hairline under the wig and it holds my bio hair out of the way and holds the wig securely. I learned that trick from one of the other ladies on the forum. Sometimes if I wear my wig styled behind my ears a little of my bio hair shows on the sides, but it's the same color so it doesn't matter.

It's wonderful to have you both here to talk to.

14. Lauttie

Lauttie Guest

Wearing a wig was VERY freeing for me and I wish that I had done it three years earlier! It looked so good that I didn't care if people knew or didn't. In most cases I told people, because if they didn't know already they would suspect when my true hair color didn't show up at the roots.

Originally, I wanted to get one that was my color some people wouldn't know. Now I think I want to buy more wigs so that I can have a variety.

I went down the the local shop today and tried on some wigs. I discovered that I would look good in even more red than my current wigs. The Rachel Welch Feista, although I don't know if I want to go that short, it really looked good. The cap has the Illusion lace design and it doesn't have the hair under the ear tabs so it won't itch. (So many of the cheaper ones have the hair under them, next to the skin, and that drives me mad with itching!) I also like the wider no-slip grip in the front. My hair line has receeded enough that the no slip grip goes right in front of my hair line and it looks great!

I also had them order the RW Charmer for me to try. It's supposed to have the same cap. The nice thing is, if I don't like it I don't have to buy it.

Looking back to before wigs... I'm more upset at myself for not doing this sooner! I'm a lot more confident and a friend told me that it shows. It was hard for me to take the plung at first... I had so many things built up in my mind that just don't really matter. I was so scared to do the wig thing, but no I feel like I was just being silly. All that worry over nothing!

I know that it's hard to get there, but once you do, enjoy it because you have gorgeous hair every day!

15. dragonfly

dragonfly Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I know exactly what you mean about wanting your first wig to look like your own hair so people wouldn't know. I did the same thing, but now have decided I want a variety of lengths and colors; change my hair daily to fit my mood or outfit. This is the hand I was dealt, so I'm just gonna have fun with it. I can wear almost any color except real blond or real dark. Anything from vibrant red to chocolate brown work for me, but I always like at least a bit of red in whatever color I wear. I'm off to the wig shop myself next week for another addition to the collection. In the meantime, I'll look up the ones you mentioned.

16. dragonfly

dragonfly Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Lauttie - Just looked up the wigs you mentioned. I like them both, but I really like Charmer. Let me know what you think when you try it on. We might be twins :jump: .

17. Lauttie

Lauttie Guest

I just bought the Loius Ferre "Topaz" online at half off. I can't resist the HH. I just like that I can style it. The style lasts a couple of weeks, if it's anything like the "Diamond". (Yes, I wash every other week... except for the bangs. Those every three days.)

And after looking that the pictures of charmer online, I'm not so sure I'm going to like it... I think I'll call and cancel. Since I bought thte human hair this month, that's about all I can afford at this point.

Maybe I'll have them order it in a few months for my next one... Still not sure it will work on me. I'll guess I'll see. I did like Fiesta though. It's really short and sassy! :)

18. Hi Everyone,

Here's the update I promised on my first day at work as a "wigged out" lady. I'm at work right now.

I almost chickened out this morning, but my husband convinced me to wear the wig to work. He said he didn't think anyone would notice. I'd just get compliments on the new hair cut and color.

So far he's right. One guy that I talk to every day didn't notice, didn't say anything. My boss said "Hey nice hair cut." And the same from one other person. I also got a nice compliment from a good friend of mine, and I confided in her and told her it was a wig.
    She said she was blown away, totally didn't believe it. She also said it looked so natural and perfect for me. She said she didn't think anyone would know it wasn't real.

So that's what the early crew said about my new look. So far, so good.

:punk:

I'll continue to update you guys as the day progresses. I'll also try to get some work done in between!! ;)

Phoenix :jump:

19. janee807

janee807 Guest

Phoenix_Seven-Wow! Good for your husband and a big HIGH FIVE to you! I'm so glad you decided to go with the wig today. So glad your first day has been so successful. I'll bet you look fantastic! You obviously chose a great wig style, cut, and color and it sounds like the day has been a happy success. I know my first day I will be so nervous so I'm truly glad you shared. When each person shares it gives courage to the next and you just can't get that anywhere but here; at least for me. I pray the rest of the day goes as well. I have had you on my mind all morning. It is like we all walk with you. Thank you again.

20. dragonfly

dragonfly Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Phoenix - Good for you! It's all down hill from here as that first morning is the toughest. Everyone here is so used to seeing me with my new hair now it's no longer an issue at all. Of course, it will be again when I change my style, but that's ok, kind of fun. Here's hoping the rest of your day is a raging success. We'll be thinking about you and sending good thoughts your way. Keep us posted :) .

Dragonfly