Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

How do you get motivated to exercise?

Discussion in 'PCOS Community' started by el123, Nov 28, 2009.

1. el123

el123 Guest

I’ve got PCOS and my endo told me I HAVE to exercise. I did the whole gym thing a few years ago on Saturdays and Sundays, but coz I’ve got a mortgage the money is an issue. I do have an exercise bike at home. But its hard to get motivated to use it. I kept it in my bed room where it just gathered dust. Now I’ve moved it to the lounge. I used it a few times but I get tired easily and stop (prob my low Vit D and B levels).
    And I usually don’t like doing other activities like walking unless I have someone else to join me.
    Anyway just wondering how you guys exercise and stay off eating too much sweets. :$

2. Eztli

Eztli Guest

I think the only way you are going to be motivated to exercise is if you find something you actually like to do. If my only form of exercise was going to the gym, I would not, period. End of story. take up dancing or roller blading or something like that. Do something that you would do if you didnt have to exercise as for not eating what your not supposed to, the only thing that helps me is not keeping it around. If its around, I will eat it...

3. angel706

angel706 Guest

They key with exercise is to find something you LOVE doing, and something that you can and will find time to do almost every day.

I have a treadmill in one of our bedrooms...we've had it for almost 10 years...it was a $700 investment, but it's been worth every penny. It's so easy to get on that thing and just GO for a half hour or so. I love the way a nice exercise session makes me feel...energized, rarin' to go. I like to get a nice sweat going, but not go so hard that I feel exhausted when I'm done.

Since you don't like walking alone, though, think about things that you DO like doing. Do you like music? Most people do...if so, just turn on some music that you LOVE and move around your house/apartment...keep the intensity high enough that you break a bit of a sweat, but don't have any trouble breathing or talking.

Try to think of it not so much as something you HAVE to do, and more as something that you do as a gift to yourself...maybe that will help.

Or maybe since you have an exercise bike...think less in terms of, "Oh, I have to go do my half-hour of exercise now," and instead try breaking it into a few smaller, more manageable chunks of time. Maybe you could try 2 or 3 smaller sessions a day, and instead of going just a steady rate for the whole time, you can break it into 1-minute or 2-minute intervals...you know, go at a moderate pace for 1 minute, then step up to a brisk pace for 1 minute, repeat until you've hit your target time. I find that intervals REALLY help to break up the monotony of a workout. You're thinking less about the big chunk of time you have to get to, and focusing more on the interval that you're in...and before you know it, your time is up!

Good luck! I hope you find a way to make exercise more fun and accessible for yourself. :)

4. vcmusic42

vcmusic42 Guest

Walking/running is much more fun if you have something fun to listen to, either a mix CD or an interesting podcast or book on tape. I get too bored if I don't have something to keep me entertained. If I've got NPR or some energetic music, I find the time passes much more quickly!

It's also good to find a workout buddy. One of the guys at work is a part-time trainer and I've gotten him to "force" me to workout a few times. He runs with me and guides me through core/ab exercises. Even if you find a friend who also has weighloss & fitness goals, you can help motivate each other.

I also joined Sparkpeople (Google it, it's a fitness site) earlier this year, and there are lots of message boards there and a wide community of people looking to stay fit!

5. dying curls

dying curls Guest

Duh... I dont exercice...

But I do walk quiet a lot.

6. kimm

kimm Guest

I think once you get into it, you'll miss it when you're not doing it.

I don't look at my running shoes and think "wheeeee! I get to run now!"

But, I feel really good after and notice a difference in how my body looks too. These things are what keep me motivated to keep doing things even when I don't feel like it.

I also think that mixing it up helps. I go to the gym a couple times a week and then run on weekends. It breaks up the monotony and probably gives me better results in the end.

I took my son to the mall a few weeks ago before it opened, to let him loose in the little kiddie area and noticed quite a few walkers in there.

If you have a mall nearby that might be a good idea. You could do some window shopping (and people watching) and get a good walk in too.

Then maybe you could get a couple videos and some inexpensive light free weights and do those on alternating days.

Even commiting to doing a few sets of push-ups and sit-ups every day will give surprising results if you can make yourself do it.

7. Hennared

Hennared Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I agree that you have to enjoy what you do for exercise.. however, a routine of it is going to be tough at first, until you get used to it. Then, likely the momentum and habit keeps you going. At least, it worked that way for me once I discovered I liked weight training, I liked getting stronger and the self-competition of lifting heavier weights. (I am NOT big and muscle bound either, after something like 15 years of lifting.. just toned and I have nice definition when I also eat right). You don't have to go to a gym to do weights, either, if you buy a few well chosen things. I used to lift at home, I bought the weights used on Craigslist. Just sayin' what worked for me.. try different things and try to stick with them a bit to see if it grooves with you.

8. el123

el123 Guest

Hey Thanks girls for the feedback. ;)
    I've been listening to my ipod and using the excercise bike for the past two weeks now (only weekdays for 30minutes a day). Its been great. Listening to the ipod is brilliant cz before I know it I've done 20minutes... then itys a matter of pushing myself into doing the next 10minutes. I figure once I establish a good rutine I can go longer on the bike. I also got some 5kg weights. Not used it yet. But its a start.
    Here is to a healthy future. :jump:

9. Pinson

Pinson Guest

There is also a fitness discipline called "Spinning". It's exercises on a bike. It's very physical but you can make it at home if you have the bike. I think they sell dvd's or you might find lessons on youtube. That could be a good alternative

10. curlylocks

curlylocks Guest

I like to rollerblade around my neighborhood. This is great for legs and butt. Also, I have a yoga dvd that is sooo relaxing. My hubby and I joined a gym and we go together. I usually do about 20 minutes cardio on the elipticle and then hit the weight machines. I think it's important to mix it up so you don't get bored.

11. brandy32

brandy32 Guest

We got a Wii fit for Christmas, and it is so much fun! It seems like more playing than actual work, I hate going to the gym, but I love this!

12. Hi there!

I also have a Wii fit, and I love it. It is expensive though, especially if you don't already have the Wii system.

My favourite activity with the Wii Fit (and the one that I think works the best in terms of keeping your body noticably healthier) you could easily and cheaply do on your own. It's called Super Hula Hoop and it is aerobic exercise but it also really targets tummy muscles. If you got a hula hoop (I know, it sounds weird) it would be great, because it becomes like a game which I think helps with motivation. If you also listen to music at the same time, it will be even more fun!

I agree with all those who mentioned that you have to find something fun that works with your lifestyle. I don't like exercising a lot in front of other people, so the activities described above are perfect for me.

Best of luck, and I hope you find some motivation or ideas in these posts!

PeachPlumPear

13. el123

el123 Guest

Hi Ashiyaa,
    You only need a minimum of 30minutes per day. And you are doing plenty already. You probaby don't need to excercise that much for your age as you probably already do sports at school.

14. kimm

kimm Guest

El - Ashiyaa unfortunately is a spammer. She only has one post and there are a bunch of links at the bottom as her signature.

I reported the little faker. :devil:

I wish "those people" would find another pass-time instead of spamming a women's hair loss site.

15. el123

el123 Guest

Thanks for that Kimm. i was a bit surprised that a 15year old would be having that much hairloss to be on a forum like this.

16. el123

el123 Guest

Thanks PeachPlumPear & Brandy32 for your tip on WII. Its a great idea although I can't remember the last time I played any sort of computer/video game.
    I've kinda slacked off my excercise a bit. Only coz its Summer here in Australia and its been so darn hot and I don't have AirCon. which makes me reluctant to excercise...

17. CYNDI2008

CYNDI2008 Guest

Hi
    I was in the same boat as you, I recently just got back to working out. Last year I had lost 45 lbs. I was going to the gym and working out 6 days a week on the elliptical machine. Unfortunately, I fell of the wagon and I noticed things are creping back up, so I'm my unmotivated state I decided I'm not going to get motivated unless I do something. I've been back to working out for 3 days and today was the first day I actually started feeling good about working out ( and more motivated ).. I think the more you do it the more motivated you'll get!

18. mjh

mjh Guest

I went to the gym for a year and didn't lose any weight. I had only a part time job which consisted of me sitting at a desk. I enjoyed the spinning and aerobic classes though. The next year I got an active full time job and lost fifteen pounds. My issue is not being able to diet. I can exercise a lot but it doesn't work unless I'm not bored. Food is entertainment!

Spinning classes were so much fun! I'd love to join a gym again but can't afford membership right now...

19. janee807

janee807 Guest

I became more motivated to exercise when I let go of it ever being about my weight but rather about my health. Sounds corny but now I exercise and I feel better psychologically and strength-wise. I do make it about my arms/shoulders a bit as I really like the way they look toned and strong. I swear sometimes I want to arm wrestle people just because I think I could win. Then I laugh. Then I think, "geez, exercise is pretty funny too!" I try to make my life fun. I use a treadmill and stationary bike, love the first, hate the second, but winter is here and that is what I have. I do weights, sit-ups, push-ups, floor exercises, and bands. I watch TV, look outside, when I'm done I find myself awesome and, because I exercise in the morning, I say a couple of "yippee"s because I'm done until the next day. As Larry the Cable guy would say, "git'er done". All of my numbers are great: cholesterol, BP, etc., due to exercise. I'm not slim by a long shot but I'm happy. That is my motivation. I do it for me to live a long, happy, healthy life. I keep it that simple.