Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

How do you get the smell of smoke out of your sup hair?

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by dragonfly, Feb 20, 2011.

1. dragonfly

dragonfly Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi ladies,
    I have a problem; I go visit a very sick friend every Sunday. Well, he smokes in his house and every time I leave there I smell like cigarette smoke. I come home and change my clothes, but I don't know how to get the smell out of my fall. Eventually it seems to go away, but is there something I can use on it to freshen it up without coating the hair? This is a weekly thing and I don't like to wash my fall more often than absolutely necessary; every 4-6 weeks or so. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. FLgirl

FLgirl Guest

I don't have experience with this but maybe this will work.... from Janie Ann in the thread "few of my favorite things"

3. trying

trying Member

Dislikes Received:
    Fabric Softener Sheets - Put them on your styrofoam head and then put your piece on top of that. Leave it overnight and the softener sheets help pull the smell out or add that fresh smell to the piece (not sure which one, but it works)

4. Hennared

Hennared Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hmmm.. how do you feel about the smell of Apple Cider Vinegar? I have a feeling that might do the trick,and just involve a rinse rather than a wash.

You could also try the 'hair powder' thing with baby powder and brush out.. but I suspect a rinse might actually be less damaging (than a serious brushing to remove powder residue)

5. dragonfly

dragonfly Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks ladies, all great suggestions :) . I actually like the smell of apple cider vinegar and have use it often as a facial toner. It even made my cuticles soft. I like the idea of the dryer sheets too; maybe I'll alternate weeks.

6. Janie-Ann

Janie-Ann Guest

A fabric softener sheet sounds like a great idea!!! -- maybe it would tame down some of the static too. Winter air is so dry...
    I'm around a lot of campfires in the summer and they really make my topper smell smoky. I've tried to cover it with a loose bandanna but I'm not sure that makes a difference... My neighbor told me she uses just cool air from her hair blower & brushes/blows out some of the smokey smell (from her bio hair).

Dragonfly -- I don't like to "coat" my hair with too much product either. That Tresemme Mist doesn't seem heavy and I sort of spray the air and walk into it or move the topper into it -- the same way my mother taught me to put on perfume, ha ha. It's not a "miracle" but it's not bad and it doesn't make my hair gummy/dry/greasy. The scent is VERY light - compared to the Aquolina Pink Sugar Hair Perfume that I sometimes use too. That smells like vanilla and it's a nice scent, but it's like you're wearing perfume -- it does add shine but then there's buildup if you use it more than once or twice.

Sure is a problem when you don't want to/can't simply shampoo it out!
    :smoke: :thumbdown2:

7. dragonfly

dragonfly Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm definitely going to try the Tresemme mist. I use Tresemme hairspray on my fall sometimes, and it works well and doesn't build up. I just like a little in the crown to give it a bit of umph. I had never used those products either until Hairscared recommended the hairspray.