Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

How do you know..?

Discussion in 'Women's Alopecia Areata' started by ginawat, Mar 4, 2008.

1. ginawat

ginawat Guest

If you have a form of diffuse Alopecia Areata or Androgenetic Alopecia?

I am so confused by all of this.

2. angieangie

angieangie Guest

In Androgenetic Alopecia you would have miniaturized hairs, which would be short, thin, light coloured hairs that fall off after they get to about 3 cm or just plain fall out easy if you tug at them. With diffuse Alopecia Areata I think you just shed diffusely, but without miniaturization.

3. ginawat

ginawat Guest

Yes, but Androgenetic Alopecia is typically not this radpid - right? My shedding has not stopped - for 8+ months. I have read other posts where they thought they had something else but finally became diagnosed with Diffuse Alopecia Areata. My hair loss did not start off with a bald spot or patch - but instead shedding like mad. I have not lost body/eyelashes/brow hair though.

Joann - can you help?

Thanks!

4. angieangie

angieangie Guest

If it was fast then it's probably TE. But I know HelenBrown said she has Androgenetic Alopecia and thinned out within a year. She was losing a lot of hair too. So I guess it can be possible with Androgenetic Alopecia. But not losing eyebrows and eyelashes is a good sign that it's not Alopecia Areata. Maybe trying Rogaine can help? I'm starting it soon for TE.

5. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

Gina
    can you go to a derm to do a microscopic thing on your head to check for miniturization?? They can tell by that if its Androgenetic Alopecia or Diffuse Alopecia Areata.....

6. ginawat

ginawat Guest

I'm so scared.

7. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

I know you are scared, but wouldnt you feel better knowing you are doing everything you can to halt it? You really need to go to a derm that KNOWS about hair loss. Call some places and ask the receptionist BEFORE making the appointment if the Dr. TREATS ALL hair loss....Alopecia Areata, Androgenetic Alopecia and dont make the appt. until you know they do..thats what I did and I see him this month.

8. mythreeboys

mythreeboys Guest

Gina hang in there. I am in a similar boat, also I have the same name as you! I guess us Gina's are not lucky with the hair lately :(