Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

How fast did you lose hair and what pattern did you lose it in.

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by Arisemysoul, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Arisemysoul

Arisemysoul Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi everyone. I haven't posted on here in a while. I am undiagnosed but suspect Androgenetic Alopecia by the pattern of loss. However I have a question for those with Androgenetic Alopecia. For those who have posted about experiencing slowly thinning hair, what was the progression of your loss? For example, I have been losing hair for the past 1 1/2 years. The shedding has slowed down and I guess I have some regrowth but it appears to be miniaturized. The front has been hardest hit especially along the temples. I can see my scalp if I wear my hair back in a headband, etc. But as long as I wear my hair combed straight down it doesn't look like hair loss to others. But when I run my fingers through my hair boy, can I tell a difference! It is like my hair slowly deflated! I am thinking now that is down about as flat as it can get, the next stage is the part will start getting wider. Is that how it was for some of you?

Sorry, if I this sounds confusing. I hesitated even asking such a question. I'm afraid the answers will just make me more depressed about my hair. I just can't seem to give up that little, itty bitty ray of hope that says this is not Androgenetic Alopecia and therefore not permanent.

Thanks in advanced for you answers.

2. dancer

dancer Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi
    Just wanted to say nice to see you back!:) Sorry things not got any better for you.

3. Arisemysoul

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you Dancer! Oh well. Glad I have forums like these to visit for help and understanding. Hope you are doing well.

4. Laura855

Laura855 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I too keep hoping that my rapid hair loss is not due to Androgenetic Alopecia, but I really don't know. my hair loss started about 2 years ago, and I have lost 80% of my hair (not exaggerating at all) with the last 3 months of 200-300 hairs a day. My loss is very diffuse, part still tight, with the sides hit the hardest as they are almost bald. My blood work shows several interesting things: low cortisol, slightly high DHEA (depending on which lab range is used, the differ for some reason), very low ferritin with too high iron sat%, low iodine, very low free and total Test., low estrogen and progest., Macrocytic anemia, and a positive ANA. I am 40 and I guess perimeno althogh my periods are regular. No signs PCOS, no BC due to blood clot history. I have all the classic signs of low cortisol: low BP, dizziness, almost pass out when I stand up, insomnia, fatigue, weight loss, depression. Because I am at the bottom of the so called "normal range" and not clinically "Addison's" yet, my symptoms are ignored, I am told I need to see a psychiatrist, and that my excessive hair loss is simply genetic. I guess if I get more sick, they will label me with a disease and attribute the hairloss to that. This whole experience has been devastating as you all know and the poor treatment by the medical establishment disgusting. When I first noticed my hair loss it wasn't as obvious to others and everyone said I was crazy. Now, only a short time later, it is undeniable. Like you my hair is super flat, with lots of scalp showing on the sides, but I never did experience the typical thinning on top. Yes, I have lost volume but it is the same as the back of my head, my loss is pretty evenly distributed.

My goal now is to find a hair replacement solution that works long term. I have bought several Flora falls that are great but because I lose 50% of my hair every month, I need to move to full wigs. Add to the fact that I have a physically demanding job, hot environment, work with mostly men, and no family support I struggle just to make it through the day. I feel like a complete freak and hate that fact that I have to spend all my savings just trying to look normal. Sorry to depress you, I am at a ver low point and it totally sucks!

5. Arisemysoul

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Laura. I'm so sorry you are going through this. I always thought loss on the sides can indicate Alopecia Areata. But I may be wrong. With your bloodwork looking like it is, you may want to find an integrative doctor. Their ranges for what is "normal" take into account everyone is different. Unfortunately some integrative docs don't accept insurance. An integrative doctor would be sure to address that low cortisol problem. If you just lost on the sides then hopefully it is reversible. Wishing you the best! Keep us posted on how it goes.

6. Laura855

Laura855 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Aries. Unfortunately I have diffuse loss everywhere, just worse on the sides. I have been to a functional medicine doctor as well as an MD who is also holistic and integrative. They at least believe me and don't just push anti-depressants in my face. They both feel I have an adrenal issue and I have been trying to use supplements to support my adrenals but no help so far. Treating adrenals with cortisol is controversial and neither is comfortable with it. And yes, they are very expensive and don't take insurance. I went to an endo recently to try to get some specific adrenal related blood tests and he was an absolute jerk, totally disregarded my symptoms and said I am just pre-menopausal. Since when does that make you get dizzy, have diarrhea, rapid weight loss, and all the other crap that I am going through? So frustrating! Maybe the blood work will show something but I am not holding my breath. When did medicine go from basing a diagnosis on signs and symptoms to totally ignoring signs and symptoms and only going by lab values? I could be in a coma but if my blood work is in the "normal" range than I am fine!

7. movingon23

movingon23 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi - I am seeing this late because I have not been on in a while, but I really wanted to reply to you. I too have Androgenetic Alopecia, and my thinning started in the front - like a man actually. Thinning on one side then the other - at the temples, and now thinning some in the middle at my hairline. My hairline is so messed up now - I have these tiny one inch miniaturized hairs that will not grow. They aren't even like my hair at all - horrible texture, and I can't do anything with them. I do see some thinning on the sides of my head and on top, although my part line is still pretty normal looking (if you get past the awful front hair line which is covered with heavy bangs!). I am expecting the temples to recede even more and also for the top to get worse - it seems that everything I notice just gets worse - it has never gotten better. The back of my hair is very full and looks like it is from a different person. My front and back halves don't match! :) I purchased a Flora illusion fall a year ago and have been wearing it to work ever since. I give myself a break at other times - nights and weekends. It does give me confidence, but I still have some physical discomfort if I wear it more than about 8 hours. So sometimes I have full hair, and other times, I am my thinning self. If the temple recession gets too much worse, I won't feel comfortable going out without my fall on, and when that happens, I plan to wear more hats and look around at scarf options where I can show my hair in the back and my bangs but cover up that line where my hairline used to be. It all sucks, but after dealing with this for 4 years, I am getting more used to the challenge of how to get through this and move forward. I hope that yours will get better. For some people, it does. But you have options if it doesn't.

8. Arisemysoul

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks movingon23. I am in a pattern right now. I definitely shed less however it is still more than I ever did before the first bout of sudden shedding. I continue to have some modest regrowth but it is thin and puny. However it does help. Then suddenly the new little hairs will start falling out. I don't take anything or use anything for my hair except 50 mg a day of Spironolactone. My fear is this pattern is hair growing more and more miniaturized. The follicles affected are slowly dying I guess. So they keep producing hair, albeit puny ones. I'm afraid they will eventually stop producing anything.

I have never had a biopsy to confirm Androgenetic Alopecia. I don't really want to know. But this regrowth that appears, gives me hope and then falls out again, drives me nuts. The oh-so-very-slow process of losing hair is just horrible. I know I should be grateful but it is so hard not worry about the day that may come when there is no more regrowth :-(

9. worriedmommy

worriedmommy Guest

That's exactly what worries me...what will I look like in 2 years from now...ugh!