Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

How long did it take your Hair to recover from low Ferritin?

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by iloveeshoes, Jun 11, 2013.

1. iloveeshoes

iloveeshoes Guest

My ferritin level was 30 in November of last year. I started supplementing with Elemental Iron in February. I got my levels checked in the beginning of April and it was 125. (I'm 49 in post-menopause so I don't get my period anymore.) I just got my levels checked again last week and it's now up to 149.

However, my temple area as well as my front hair line took a major hit and they are both semi-bald. You can definitely see plenty of scalp. I have not seen any significant regrowth yet in those areas. :(

I did have a bacteria infection on my scalp and had to use 2% Keto shampoo to get it under control. However that shampoo is very harsh and I think it contributed to more hair loss, :unsure: not to mention attempting to use Nioxin follicle booster, which cause my hair to increase shedding (I only use it for a week and then discontinued it, but I figured I lost an EXTRA 150 hairs that week fooling around with that mess).

I know they say it takes about 3 months of being consistently in the 100 range with your Ferritin before regrowth kicks off.

Since I stopped the Keto shampoo, I'm shedding on average about 50 to 60 hairs a day, would love to see that number go down to 30 per day (even though I believe I've always been a high shedder).

Any insight from those who have been through this before, would be appreciated. I need some encouragement bad. :sad:

2. iloveeshoes

iloveeshoes Guest

Yes, I take biotin (5,000 every other day). I take a natural dht blocking supplement with extra saw palmetto (been taking that for about a year now) and a multi-vitamin.

I try to eat only non-gmo organic foods with very little yeast or starches and no gluten and I'm also trying to incorporate more anti-fungal foods in my diet.

Temple and front hair line is struggling to come back, very bald in these areas.

3. tcat

tcat Guest

I don't want to give false hope -- I try to preface everything I say about my own process and ferritin with that. I have some regrowth -- not recovery, but regrowth, whereas there was none before. If you google te regrowth pictures, I'm seeing what looks like some of the pictures. A lot of sprouts on top, some around the hair line, temples looking better. I started with a serum ferritin of 19. That was last June, I've been on it for a year. My hair has not gotten worse in terms of shedding, it's better some days and some days it's not. So for me, and this is just me, noticeable regrowth took about 8 months, and lots of regrowth has taken a year, but still no density. I can't claim recovery yet, but I'll keep you informed.

4. iloveeshoes

iloveeshoes Guest

Thank you for being honest. Please keep me updated. I'm thinking since I'm older, it will probably be a year. I know because of my age that it may never really come back the way it was before. I'm not seeing as many short hairs in my shed but I'm still shedding a lot (around 70 to 80 hairs a day). I just got my ferritin number up last month in the 100 range so I figured that my hair cycle is still screwed up and will probably be that way until the end of the year. I just don't know how much hair am going to have left by then, with no obvious regrowth.

What worries me the most is I feel like I have some inflammation of the scalp. My scalp is tender to the touch and hurts on and off throughout the day, so I feel like something secondary is going on, but I don't know what it could be. This concerns me a lot because this could hinder my hair from recovering from the low ferritin. :(

Did you experience any scalp tenderness / soreness when your ferritin was low?

5. tcat

tcat Guest

I did have a lot of head tingling burning before I started on iron. I still get it from time-to-time, but not like before. It's very predictable now. About a day or two before my period, I feel it. I shed more then too. It scares the daylights out of me; I'll have irrational flashbacks, and think it's starting all over, and then it stops. I do wonder if my body is mobilizing my iron from my ferritin in order to prepare for my period. This natural mechanism happens during pregnancy. I remember the time when it was so constant that I would make mental notes of the hours that passed when it didn't have that sensation and feel happy about them. I know how you feel. Checking for regrowth. Here is one trick. Part your hair, lay it down as flat to your scalp as possible with your palm and then look to see if there are short hairs poking through. I've already told Csquared, but the tingling flares up when I consume something with tannins -- tea and coffee seem to cause the worst reaction, and as you probably already know, tannins disrupt the absorption of iron. I agree with Csquared, I have always been a heavy shedder, and I had massive amounts of hair for 35 years, so hoping that it's going to stop shedding completely is irrational for me. What I hope now is that I just see more and more regrowth. When I went to the first doctor about all this -- a dermatologist -- I actually said, It's like my hair is just not growing. When I look at the difference between the length of my hair from my last hair cut, to the new hairs there is an abrupt difference in the length, not gradual, as if, go figure, my scalp stopped growing hair for a period of time. I also wanted to add -- that some doctors are not keeping themselves as informed as we are on the subject of serum ferritin -- I was told 19 was fine -- according to research it is not ideal, whether it is normal or not. http://www.irondisorders.org/Websites/idi/files/Content/828895/ST%20ferritin%20NOV%202010.pdf It is a frustrating battle trying to figure out what is going on. Hoping the very best for you!!

6. iloveeshoes

iloveeshoes Guest

I really can't tell you outside of the low ferritin, what other things are affect my hair loss. I think I'm also dealing with a scalp issue (seborrheic dermatitis). At one time I did see fine thin hairs popping up, but now I don't. I shed short hair, medium hair strands with tapered edges and long mature hair. I have not been seeing a lot of short hairs in my shed lately, but I have been seeing long and medium hair. I suspect that am dealing with short hair cycling, which is terminating the hair early before it has a chance to reach maturity. I know the hair cycle can be abnormal for several months with TE from low iron.

I started taking iron in February of this year and I don't think my ferritin went up to 100 until April.

7. tcat

tcat Guest

Wow. That is really fast compared to mine; mine only moved from 19 to 40 in four months. I wish I could say for sure, yes, that's it, and it'll definitely get better, but I just don't know. Your loss and mine seem similar. I have lost some short and long hairs too. Mostly long, but there are some sick little scraggly ones too. Those seem to come from the back of my head, which makes me think -- what in the world. I can say for sure, that I'm keeping more in my temples than I lose, and for now they are filling in slowly. It is just so slow that I don't know if it'll ever be enough.

8. DarcyJ

DarcyJ Guest

My ferritin was between 8-20 for about 6 years. I didn't used to pay any attention to it until I started noticing massive amounts of shedding and researched the link between low ferritin and hair loss. I started intramuscular injections every week for about 8 weeks, and my level rose to over 50. The shedding decreased around this time, but I think it took 6 months of IM injections and keeping ferritin level above 50 to see hair thickening up. It is now 172, so I have had to ease of the injections. I have been shedding a lot lately, but I think that is because I got very sick about 3 months ago and it may be a throwback from that.

The key is to keep on top of iron supplements and in 3 months of having level above 40, you should notice a reduction in amount of shedding and the rule of thumb is a further 3 months with a level above 70 to see noticeable regrowth and thickening.

9. wallflower

wallflower Guest

story sounds similar to mine - maybe I do have TE??

just new to this board and reading thru posts. iloveshoes and tcat sound similar to me. I have lost the most in the temples and front hairline. maybe a half inch or more completely gone and now just bare skin. 7 months ago i got my last haircut (i wear my hair short) and my hair has barely grown at all on the sides and is the same length on the neck and SHORTER in the bangs because of all the loss. My bangs were thick 6 months ago and swept down and to the side. Now they are just above my eyebrows, wispy and thin. I am using lots of volumizing mousee and hot rollers to get some sort of lift in them to make them look okay.

My ferritin level was 50 in May. That is when I started taking iron supplements. i have been taking a TON of supplements since May. Iron, biotin, vitamin C, Zinc, Omega 3 Fatty acid, etc. etc. . . . . a LOT of pills!!! I wasn't sure if its TE because I have never had the massive shedding people talk about. It honestly feels like my hair just STOPPED growing. Though i do think i have thinned out all over a bit - it is mostly just the temples and hairline that has taken the hit. That area makes it hard to find good concealers. How do you make bangs look thicker?? I tried Toppik but that just shakes thru my skimpy bangs and lands on my skin.

My derm and doctor have not been any help. And if it weren't for websites like this I would be clueless. I am just PRAYING I have a case of TE and that my loss stops. I would even be okay if the hair I lost doesn't ever come back as long as the loss just stops where it is. Not knowing what is going on and if it will stop is the hardest thing about this I think . . . .

10. Kelly7

Kelly7 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know what my ferritin level has been in the past, but for two years, it has been between 16 and 31. My iron panel readings have been in the average range, but since my ferritin is so low, I've been taking iron tablets for apx 3 years. I used to take ferrous sulfate, but I seemed to have shed more hair with that type of iron, so I've been taking 2-4 50mg of carbonyl iron a day for about 1.5 years. I've asked my primary care doctor, two dermatologists and an endocrinologist how much iron I should take if I wanted to raise my ferritin level to 70-80 and they've all told that my iron levels are fine. None of them seem to be knowledgeable about low ferritin levels and hair loss. I just don't know how to get mine higher!! I take mine with 1000mg of vitamin C and avoid foods for a couple hours that would inhibit the absorption of iron.

My hairloss began in July 2010 and I was told by a derm in Feb 2012 that I have TE. However,after all these years of hairloss, I'm still unsure what type it is since he said it would grow back in 1.5 years. Instead, I just get quite a bit of regrowth that only falls out:( My shedding slowed down quite a bit last Feb until July 2012 but other than that I shed between 150-450 hairs when I wash it every other day. I lose various lengths and all have a white bulb. I've noticed that many shed hairs have a tapered end on the opposite side of the bulb. I'm not exactly sure what that indicates. I feel I have hairloss either from low ferritin or because I have Hashimoto's. I had a TSH level of apx 0.25-0.55 for 3 years and in December, I asked my dr if I could take a lower dose of levothyroxine in order to get my TSH up a bit. I was hoping for a TSH of 1-2, but it went to 2.72 within a month of changing to 75mcg of levo from 88mcg. I recently got my levels checked and it was near 8, so the dr put me on a higher dose of levo again. My hairloss had sort of slowed down up until 2 weeks ago when I began the higher dose, so I'm wondering if the change can have such a quick effect upon my hair.

I just wish my ferritin level would increase so that I can at least rule that out.

11. iloveeshoes

iloveeshoes Guest

Same here, I'm getting a bald spot in the front of my head. Lost a lot of hair and it's becoming harder and harder to hid it. I had to buy a clip-on bang because there is no density in the front of my head anymore nor at the temples. At the end of this month it will be 3 months at having my ferritin level above 100 and I have not seen a reduction in shedding. I mean I'm shedding between 80 to 100 hairs a day which is suppose to not be abnormal, but still too high for my taste, plus with no regrowth at all, I'm now showing a lot of scalp. :( I'm very depressed and anxious over this situation. Waiting for things to get better.....but not sure how long am suppose to wait, at this rate I will be obviously bald in these areas, if things don't improve soon.

On the upside, my head has stopped burning and I don't have a lot of pain when I touch my scalp anymore except it the front where the hair loss is severe.

12. wallflower

wallflower Guest

Funny you said that about the bangs as I just ordered some online yesterday. Since my hair was colored back in January and I haven't done a thing with it since then (since I am scared to risk more loss!) I have some reddish-brown, a bit of gray and a bit of my darker brown showing at the very top - so I am skeptical that the bangs will look natural. But, they had a good return policy so thought I would give it a try. I am debating about whether to color my hair. I just don't want to risk hurting it more. But, I feel so "icky" right now I think it would make me feel better about my hair if I did color it. I went in to have it trimmed a couple weeks ago (it was the first time in 7 months) and she barely took anything off the ends. Just enough to get them healthy. I normally would have gotten a nice styled cut but was scared to take anything off since I don't know what's coming next in terms of hair loss.

Have you had any growth in length in your hair? I can count up to 30-50 hairs of shed when I wash my hair (which doesn't seem excessive but I don't remember ever shedding much at all prior to this hair loss issue) But, for me, its like my hair just won't grow. It's the same length at my neck as it was 7 months ago. How is that possible? The hairdresser said she didn't notice a bunch of broken hairs or anything. So, maybe poor nutrition and ferritin less than 70 stopped my hair from growing (?)

13. zeb

zeb New Member

Dislikes Received:
    ferritin up still hairfall

i was losing hair since 2004 and was diagnosed with serum ferritin of 1 in 2013. so from November 2013 i started eating right n taking supplements and managed to raise my ferritin to 89 in March 2014. my problem is that even after a year im losing more hair than i would like to. i do have some regrowth. and the hairfall is lesser than my initial shed but its a lot. my scalp shows in the front. does it take more time to fully recover?

14. nat123

nat123 Established Member

Dislikes Received:

15. Kelly7

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Nat123,

In the past five years, my hair loss slowed down twice for a few months. I remember losing mainly long hairs in the beginning, then as my shedding continued over the years, I noticed I lose about 50% regrowth and 50% longer hairs. I've been losing tapered hairs for at least four years. I may of had them in the beginning, but I didn't examine my hairs as much back then, so I'm not sure. I'm going to see my Dermatologist soon, so I taped 4 sample hairs to a piece of paper. Two have tapered ends and two are what I believe to be anagen hairs. I showed him several of my thin, short hairs at my last appointment and he said with CTE, hairs can start of thin, then thicken up, which I already knew, but I was wondering if they meant I have Androgenetic Alopecia. I will let you know how my Derm responds when I ask him about tapered hairs! :)

16. nat123

nat123 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Kelly, yes please that would be great. I too lose about 50% of re growth hairs

17. Kelly7

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Nat, the dermatologist said the tapered and short hairs I lose, are just telegen hairs. I already knew that they were telegen because they have bulbs! I was hoping to hear a more elaborate explanation. :(

18. fleur1979

fleur1979 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I also lose 50% of regrowth, some normal thickness, some really thin (diagnosed with CTE via biobsies, but I am afraid for some underlying Androgenetic Alopecia). I am hoping I just lose the thin hairs so that they can thicken up in the next cycle, but maybe it is wishfull thinking???

19. Kelly7

Dislikes Received:
    I also hope that the thin hairs I lose, thicken up to be strong, healthy hairs. I've never gotten a biopsy, so I'm not sure what type of hair loss I truly have. My derm still stuck with his diagnosis of CTE for me and said it will resolve on its own. I hope it ends soon! Five years of heavy shedding is too long. :(