Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

How Long Does A Shedding Cycle Last In Androgenetic Alopecia?

Discussion in 'Living with Androgenetic Alopecia' started by Fleabea, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Fleabea

Fleabea New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hello, I am currently going through another horrible shed with my hair. Normally I start a new medication (tried spironolactone, progesterone cream, cyproterone acetate and now finasteride) and the excessive shedding stops within a day or two. I started finasteride about 2 weeks ago and the shedding is getting worse! I've stopped counting at 250 hairs a day! How long does the excessive shedding cycle last with everyone else?

2. Chillynorway

Chillynorway Member

Dislikes Received:
    Even though it feels horrible right now, shedding in the beginning of a treatment is usually a good sign! It means the treatment is working!
    As for the duration, it is different for each person. I'm in my 3rd week of the rogaine dread shed, and it's just now slowing down a bit

#2 Chillynorway, Jul 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  3. Fleabea

Fleabea New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you for your reply. I'm hoping that it's the finasteride that is causing my already excessive shedding to increase because it's working. It gets so hard when it's been nearly 2 months worth:)