Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

How long does it take for Alopecia Universalis to start?

Discussion in 'Women's Alopecia Universalis & Totalis' started by unefemme, Sep 28, 2015.

1. unefemme

unefemme Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hello! I've had thinning hair for over 3 years - no bald spots, just overall thinning. My part is a bit wider, the hair over my temples is thinner, and my hairline is thinner. My body hair is sparser - leg hair and arm pit hair only need shaving about 1x per week (used to be every day), my lashes and brows were falling out until I started Latisse (and now have brows and lashes - not really thick ones, but enough). My dermatologist diagnosed me with CTE (onset was due to meds) and has said that I do NOT have Alopecia Universalis b/c I've never had bald patches and that my hair loss pattern does NOT mimic Alopecia Universalis's pattern, So, my question: If you have Alopecia Universalis, how long did it take for your hair to fall out? Best.

2. hairtothere

hairtothere Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Unefemme:

I want to start by saying I don't have Alopecia Universalis (Alopecia Universalis) but one of my good friends does. She has had it since her senior year in HS she is now 45. She had always had a very full thick head of hair and lost it almost all at once (totally bald within days) She was taking a shower and it was coming out in clumps she ended up Alopecia Universalis after a short time her brows, lashes and body hair didn't leave her right away. She has had periods of spontanious recovery from it to the point where she regained a full long head of hair and body hair returned only to happen all over again. The last time she had hair was about 15 years ago at this point. Her hair loss was not ever preceded by any Telogen episodes.

3. unefemme

unefemme Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hairtothere, First, love your onscreen name! Made me smile! Thank you for your reply. I've been under the impression that Alopecia Universalis tends to happen very rapidly, but your response confirms it. Thank you for taking the time to reply!

4. kitkat09

kitkat09 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    For me it just stayed there after shaving my head off. When I was 8, I had patches of hairloss and when I couldn't hide it with a headband (because one was on my hairline), we shaved it off and none of my hair grew back, then my eyebrows went away. I think it is different for everyone but I can't speak for other ppl with Alopecia Universalis. Eventually I went through puberty with no body hair. I never got my diagnosis until I was 21 when I went in for other things as well.