Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

How long does minoxidil take to work?

Discussion in 'Living with Androgenetic Alopecia' started by Gypsy99, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Gypsy99

Gypsy99 Guest

Hi
    How long does minoxidil 5% take to work? i Have been on it since 13th aug. Its going to be 3 months soon. But so far, no hair regrowth and i see constant sheds. If by Xmas my hair does not grow out, i think i will kill myself. :(

2. worriedmommy

worriedmommy Guest

I do not use minoxidil, but I have read that it does take a few months before you see improvement. I think that there are a few ladies on here that may be able to give you a better idea. If minoxidil, doesnt work, have you thought about supplemental hair?

3. longhair

longhair Guest

Hi Gypsy99 I am happy the I found you. we are on the same boat. Please don't feel bad.
    I also have been on Minoxidil Since 13th aug. but for the first month I was using 2%. Then after one month I shifted to 5 % (once a day). Again after one month I increased the dose and now I am applying 5% (1 ml in morning all over and 1\2 ml in the evening on top and sides ) I started minoxidil very slowly and gradually increased the dose because I read somewhere it helps in decreasing initial shed but nothing helped. My shed has doubled and there are no signs of decreasing. But on the positive side I am now seeing some signs of regrowth I can see very small hair popping up when I part my hair. I don't know the regrowth is due to minoxidil or its a normal regrowth because my dread shed is not decreased yet. I am loosing tons of hair. Is it possible to see regrowth while shedding constantly ? In all success stories I have read that minoxidil first decreases the shed then hair regrows. I don't know what is going on but I think we should give it some more time :confused:. All the best.
    Sorry for my bad english, I am really trying to improve:book:

4. verbatim

verbatim Guest

hi!
    in my personal case, applying minoxidil 5% 1ml morning and 1ml night it took about 4 months. So don't give up :)

5. snowflake

snowflake Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I use 4% 2x a day. Took 4 months and I nearly lost my mind.

6. Gypsy99

Gypsy99 Guest

To worriedmommy - i will not consider supplemental hair i would consider suicide 1st. Sorry but i am not trying to be rude. i dun wan some fake thingy on top of me and when Ta guy touches my hair, he pulls of my wig "in the heat of passion", you know what i am trying to say right?

To LongHair - Hi that means we are using minoxidil exactly at the same time? actually i don't have much hair shed but hair thinning, it started when i was 14 years old. my hair has thinned over the years. But apparently after using minoxidil, my hair shedded like mad. And i think concurrent my hair is very thin, seems to becoming thinner. I don't know if it is because i am using retin a topical. i see a little regrowth, small hair sticking out but not enough to cover my thinning parts. I am really sad. I hope by xmas all grows out. but my hair seems thinner after using minoxidil, i dunno why.

To Verbatim - How is your hair? Is minoxidil working?

To snowflake - i am crazy already, how is minoxidil working for you?

7. JeHope

JeHope Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi gypsy,

In my case, minidoxil started working after 1 month. I use 5% twice a day. I know that it is different for everyone in how long it takes to see results. My hair definitely thinned out after I started using minidoxil because of the stupid dread shed it caused. It was terrible- I lost like 400 hairs a day for a little over 2 weeks.

But now, I have a ton of regrowth and shed very little. I am also on 200 mg spironolactone and I think that they both are helping. I hope minidoxil works for you! I don't think you should give up just yet!

8. RaisinCookie

RaisinCookie Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Minoxidil took about 6 months for me to really start showing growth (I'm 10 months in now) and I'm still getting new growth in spots I didn't have it before.

9. snowflake

snowflake Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I am doing better now but I also take Finasteride (Proscar). The waiting for it to begin working is the worst thing. Try to keep busy and hopefully the time will pass quickly for you.

10. Gypsy99

Gypsy99 Guest

today i went to see a derm for follow up, she said i am a grade A4 ( see link below ) i felt my world collapse , so i asked would minoxidil bring me back to a A1 or A2? she said possibility is low, if i could get back to A3, i am considered lucky but this would take a long time. I felt like fainting. I am seriously crazy and depressed.

http://www.revivahair.com/research2.htm

11. somegirl

somegirl Guest

Hey Gypsy99,
    It must have been really hard to hear that from her :(
    Please keep in mind that while currently treatment options are limited, research is ongoing and it seems like a cure (or at least a really good cosmetic fix) is closer than ever. That line of thought helps me maintain my sanity on my bad days.

12. Lost

Lost Guest

Hi Gypsy it's always hard to hear someone validate how things are but it is what we need to know so we can choose to treat or go ahead with cosmetic fix...I have to say by that chart Im between a 2/3 with frontal loss too!! and I have an over all diffuse loss and a texture change! (ugh) I use scalp concealer for now and styling gets me by. Just thought I would let you know your not alone(((hugs))) D.

13. Gypsy99

Gypsy99 Guest

Hi to somegirl and Lost - Are your using minoxidil? how long and how are the results?

To Lost - the 2/3 , sorry but are you A or B in the chart?

i really hope minoxidil gets me back to A1. :( most doctors say minoxidil is to maintain. :(

14. Lost

Lost Guest

Oh sorry A chart...I do use minoxidil I use 5% foam 2 times a day I have been using it since feb 2011 I get regrowth but its not enough to fill in thinning areas :( I'm sure it has helped maintain some but I do feel my hair is just going to continue to slowly get worse when I have to wear hair I will stop the rogaine until then I'm going to keep using it. they told me a TE that uncovered Androgenetic Alopecia but I wonder I lose eyebrows and lashes diffusely just like my head and I can go longer without shaving my legs....I am also in menopause so who the hell knows!

15. somegirl

somegirl Guest

I'm not using minoxidil. I tried it and quickly decided that it wasn't for me, it irritated my eyes and made my hair very greasy which upset me (I was using 2%, from what I've read the 5% foam doesn't make your hair greasy).
    I wear a wig when I go out and I actually feel great with it on.
    My derm says that with 2% minoxidil 80% will maintain their hair and about 25% will regrow. It is my understanding that with 5% results are even better.
    There is also the option of the BCP Dianette which according to my derm can help maintain and regrow. I can't use it due to my migraines and age, but I wish I could.

16. Gypsy99

Gypsy99 Guest

Hi to lost - why is your hair getting worst?

Hi to Somegirl - did your derm say diane 35 is good for hair? my derm said too. i am on diane35 for 7 months but no effect on my hair still. I am using minoxidil 5% with diane 35 and i am 24 yo. Do you think it is going to help

17. somegirl

somegirl Guest

Yes, my derm said that minoxidil and/or Diane 35 were the best options for women with Androgenetic Alopecia.
    Give the pill some more time, at least a year, to see if it's working.
    I think you're doing everything you can, attacking the problem from all angles, and hopefully you'll see great results.

18. Lost

Lost Guest

Don't get me wrong I have a ton of regrowth "but" the hair that grows back is thinner then my hair so its not totally filling in so in my eyes its worse to my husband and family its not I just feel that it will not ever be the hair I had... I'm sure if it was'nt for minoxidil it would be even worse,what I think is Androgenetic Alopecia is progressive if... all you have is TE or CTE that is the only chance of full recovery Androgenetic Alopecia you can slow it down regrow crappy hair(in my case anyway) some of you may grow normal hair, sorry for sounding negitive... but there is no real cure for Androgenetic Alopecia just some things to slow it down for now that works for me and its giving me the time I have needed to research my ' future hair' mind you I'm older almost 52 so menopause is playing a factor in my case too. D.

19. Gypsy99

Gypsy99 Guest

To lost - you should continue with minoxidil at least you see regrowth whether thin or thick at least you see results.
    My derm said Androgenetic Alopecia is not reversible, minoxidil will help maintain, so it does not worsen. And she said younger women are less prone to Androgenetic Alopecia at a younger stage i am just the unlucky one. :(
    But i saw my derm her hair was thinning too. and she said hair loss in women is common but not younger ones. :(

Life is really unfair to me, i wished i had asthma instead of Androgenetic Alopecia i use to have asthma when i was younger but gone now. i don't know why. But i would take asthma over Androgenetic Alopecia. :(
    I see other girls spending money going to the salon perming, rebonding and colouring while i don't dare to enter a salon. They spent money to style their hair while i have to spent $42 every month for the rest of my life to maintain that ugly miserable little hair on my head. I really hate god for it. :

20. Gypsy99

Gypsy99 Guest

Hi to snowflake, so has all your hair regrown from the minoxidil?