Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

How many of you are on Spironolactone 200 mg per day plus minoxil?

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by Kate10, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Kate10

Kate10 Member

Dislikes Received:
    I've had great success with Spriro 200 mg together with minoxidil. I have been on and off it over the last few years and each time it takes 4.5 months to stop the hairloss. The minoxidil creates a shed approx 1 month into treatment that lasts for a month. I then see regrowth after 3 months. 100mg and 150 mg of Spironolactone do not work for me, it has to be 200mg and I have to take it every day, if I miss one here or there, the hairloss returns and takes 4.5 months to stop. If you are seriously distressed about your hairloss, I really urge you to try the above combination. I get so frustrated by girls on here who are "too scared", "not wanting to mess with my hormones" paranoid about side effects etc who don't take medically proven effective treatments. If your doctor will prescribe Spironolactone, please give it a go. The only thing I will add is that you need to build up from 100mg to 200 mg over few weeks.

2. Chasrogers01

Chasrogers01 Member

Dislikes Received:
    How bad was your hairloss when you first started this treatment? How much hair did you grow back?

3. Kate10

Kate10 Member

Dislikes Received:
    My hairloss started when I was 17 and gradually thinned over the next 25 years. It had gotten to a point where you could see my scalp when I went out in the sun or if it was greasy I had a sworl on the back of my head. I feel I have grown back about 60 -70 % of my hair, it's not as good as was when I was 17 but I don't think anyone's hair stays the same as they age. I couldn't be happier with the results.

Hairmess likes this.
  4. Chasrogers01

Chasrogers01 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for your response. I'm using a topical mixture of rogaine and finasteride. My hairloss doctor keeps assuring me that this topical mixture works as well. I've been using it 5 months and my hair has thickened up some.

5. mellie

mellie Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Did you experience any side effects? Just curious about what your experience is.

Also, if you've had great success, why have you been on/off over the last few years?

I'm definitely distressed about my hair loss and currently on Rogaine and trying to treat myself naturally. Spironolactone will be a "last resort" kind of thing. Mostly I'm worried about blood pressure and having to be on the pill forever.

6. Kate10

Kate10 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Melie, the reason I've been on/off is because i've wanted to play around with the doses to see what works best for me. And for me it's 200mg and MUST be taken every day. I do split it into 100mg x 2 a day. If I miss a dose (even 100mg) here or there, the hairloss returns. That's why I really urge you to try 200mg for say six months and judge for yourselves.

Yes I've had some sides but they are minimal and I'm not going to mention them here b/c it just fuels the panic merchants on this site. But let's just say they haven't killed me and faced with either Female Pattern Baldness or a full head of hair, I wll put up with them any day.

- - - Updated - - -

Chasrogers1, that's great that it's working for you. Spironolactone could be something you add if you aren't completey satisfied with the rogaine/finasteride combination.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, is anyone on here suffering from anxiety or depresson, lack of sleep or interrupted sleep, loss of self esteem all steming from their hairloss?

Well these are all side effects of female hairloss.

So even if you do experience some sides from medication, you need to weigh them up against the 'sides' of hairloss.

7. Chasrogers01

Chasrogers01 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Kate10, thanks for the advice. I do agree that you shouldn't mention the side effects. That's very smart of you. Heck, rogaine alone is nearly harmless and people are terrified of it. Well, I'm a little scared of this hairloss progressing.

My doctor did say that we would look at adding the Spironolactone later. I'm only 5 months into this treatment and it's working pretty well. I see this doctor every 6 months so I'm sure she won't hesitate prescribing the Spironolactone if needed. Good luck with your journey.

8. Kate10

Kate10 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Chasrogers01, it's great to have a good relationship with your doctor where you can suggest and discuss things. My doctor is very grateful for the feedback I've given him on my treatment and I hope he would take my sucess into consideration when others come in with hairloss issues. Good luck to you too !

9. eggplant

eggplant Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Been on 200 mg Spironolactone for over a year and minoxidil since June 2016. Haven't made a difference or slowed the hair loss, sorry to say. The 200 mg of Spironolactone has pretty much obliterated my acne breakouts though, so at least there's that.

10. Kate10

Kate10 Member

Dislikes Received:
    That's a shame Eggplant, I've read your thread - it sounds as though you don't have Androgenetic Alopecia ? and therefore anti-androgens won't work.

11. eggplant

eggplant Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not 100% certain it is Androgenetic Alopecia but it seems to be the most likely (imo) based on the pattern. I already have excess androgens from another condition though so maybe it's just making it more aggressive.

12. hoping4best

hoping4best Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I can't take Spironolactone because my androgens fluctuate between very low and "basically undetectable". Having no androgens sucks (no libido, loss of muscle strength), so my endocrinologist wants to address that if they don't go up with more estrogen replacement (I'm on HRT for prematurely failed ovaries). Since my androgens bottomed out (along with my other sex hormones due to an HRT break for some blood work), my shedding is extremely high. I had made progress on minoxidil and now I'm in a TE and have lost my progress and things are bad (so I really sympathize eggplant!). Hoping this TE will end soon, but basically it's more complicated for some people at least than "lower your androgens".

13. mellie

mellie Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    You are so right about this. I have so much anxiety, depression, lesser quality of life, loss of self confidence that if Spironolactone was working, it would be so worth it to me.

Btw Kate, do you know if your androgens levels were high at all? My total Ts are on the high side but free T is normal due to being on the pill and DHT is low. I wish there was a way to know likelihood to be a good responder to Spironolactone.

Also did you have to gradually inscrease your dose to get up to 200mg?

Thanks so much!