Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

How often do you wash your hair?

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by Leelees, May 22, 2015.

1. Leelees

Leelees Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi ladies,

Does the frequency that you wash your hair make a difference in hair loss?

I shampoo and condition my hair every 3 days with Pantene Pro-V Hair Thickening products. On the other 2 days, I spray detangled and comb out with a wide tooth comb. I try not to touch it otherwise during the day, but am horrible at sticking to that. I keep touching the crown, hoping to feel any hair growth :( And I stare in a mirror for way too long.

My routine now is taking two 325 ferrous sulfate pills a day and 1 5000 mcg Biotin. I started taking ferrous sulfate about 1.5 months ago and just upped it to 2. Ferritin was 38. And I am expecting to use Rogaine in the future (doctor will decide after a biopsy in 2 months).

Thank you!!

2. DonnaL

DonnaL Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I wash it every 3 days unless it's real oily or hot out. When my sheds were bad I did it to lessen the emotional trauma, but now I do it out of convenience (I have a 7 month old). I don't think it lessens the amount of hair I lose, it just prolongs the amount of time it takes for it to fall out.

3. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Shampoo when you need too -- it has nothing to do with hair loss.

4. Roxana

Roxana Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Leelees, as far as I know, shampooing does not make any difference in the amount you loose.
    If you don't have an oily scalp, you don't need to wash. I do have an oily scalp and I have a severe case of dandruff so I have to wash every day to remove the flakes and oil to control the build-up.
    You can also consider using SLS free shampoos if your scalp is not greasy. I tried them for few months but it did not work for me with oily scalp.

5. Leelees

Leelees Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you, everyone!

6. Topcat

Topcat Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    When shedding is really high I prefer every day washing, it makes the loss seem less noticeable, every two days is the same loss but looks so much more, also I find when shedding I have an oiler scalp and so the density of hair looks less on scalp so when its fresh and clean it has more body.