Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

How to care for thinning hair despite depression ? : /

Discussion in 'Living with Androgenetic Alopecia' started by April_moon, Sep 27, 2016.

1. April_moon

April_moon Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm certain I have Androgenetic Alopecia but I haven't seen a derm about it, I don't want to waste money for them to tell me what I already know.

However, I'm still skeptical... because Androgenetic Alopecia is a hormonal imbalance and Im experiencing irregular periods, not only that but my diet is crap, ive looked at foods vital for hair growth and I'm not eating any of it on a daily basis. No milk, cheese, yougurt (I hate those) no leafy greens, beans ect..just junk..and I don't exercise... so I want to atleast give right eating and exercising a shot to see if it'll help my hair..

though the fact Androgenetic Alopecia is permanet hair loss gets me down, and the fact I can see my hair thinning makes me not wanna do my hair (though I need to and still have a lot) sometimes, I'm like-- whats the point when it's just gonna go?

Sometimes I just wanna shave it all off, but I have a lot of hair to work with, like 95% but the front is thinning badly and so are the sides and nape.. : /
    and plus id hate if it never grows back,,then I'm stuck with a bald head...

uhg. I hate this.

2. CurlyQ

CurlyQ Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi April moon.

I agree with you about seeing a dermatologist. I saw two of them years ago, and they were no help. I've been dealing with shedding and thin hair for years. I have never found the cause. I shed at least 200 daily. My hair looks like crap but what can I do?

Anyway, what I've found helpful is to to get a cute short haircut. It makes your hair look fuller and doesn't look as stringy. I would recommend you clean up your diet. Get rid of the junk food as you say. And definitely do start exercising. The exercising is good for your psychological health.

As for shaving, I have done that in the past. I also buzzed my hair as well. I loved it. I didn't have to see the constant shedding. And I rocked a cool wig.

You say you have 95% of your hair? Girl, that's a lot of hair!! Work with it. Get a haircut and new style.

Furthermore, after doing all that you can to improve your diet and health, find something else to occupy your time. This hair loss can consume you. Don't let it take your life from you. Remember you are not your hair! Hang in there!

3. April_moon

April_moon Member

Dislikes Received:
    Youre so right curly q ... I do need other things to occupy my time

4. MeLosinIt

MeLosinIt New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I know!

I have seen 3 derms and an inexperienced trichologist. I didn't know nape loss was oart of Androgenetic Alopecia. I don't want to be bald or wear a wig. I guess that is too bad because I get nowhere with treatment. No answers.

5. Meliss9

Meliss9 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Does anyone also get scalp that hurts like you can't move ur hair? It feels like each part has been up for a long time? I don't get it. My scalp gets oily after 1 day of not washing it and looks seethru and hurts... this has taken a tolll on my physical health making me depressed, stomach pains, tired. I don't want to have this thin hair or wear a wig idk what else to do

6. MaryKate

MaryKate New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Have

7. MaryKate

MaryKate New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Have you been to your gynecologist April Moon? Irregular periods can be a symptom of pcos, which is also sometimes accompanied by androgenic alopecia. Other symptoms of pcos are excess hair growth and acne. I've never heard of nape hair loss being part of androgenic alopecia - it's usually at the crown, a wide part, and sometimes at the hairline and temples. Figuring out if there's something awry hormonally, with the gynecologist, would definitely be the place to start imo.

8. elixirhtc

elixirhtc Member

Dislikes Received:
    Yes I am totally agree with you ...