Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

How to tell the difference between miniautirized hairs and normal regrowth ?

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by Barbarina, May 5, 2016.

1. Barbarina

Barbarina Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Who knows the answer ? I had HORRIBLE hair shed for a whole month (my own fault - quit Diane35) now everything is back to normal, but my hair got thinner - every day a whole month I was losing 300-400 hairs easily and like an idiot I was examining them if there is a root on them or not (this time I had extentions too, and was happy if I wouldnt see a root on a hair)

Anyway - I do have what looks like regrowth (at least I want to hope so), or may be it is just miniaturized hairs which wont grow past 2-3 inches ?
    Is it any way one can tell ?

2. rva207

rva207 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    You're on Rogaine, correct? Does it resemble any regrowth you've experienced from that? My Rogaine regrowth has a mind of it's own and definitely doesn't look "normal," which also makes me constantly question whether it looks bad because it's growing from recovering follicles or if it's simultaneous damage from androgens (I'm not on any anti-androgen meds yet) while responding positively to Rogaine. Ugh. Sorry I'm no help, but I can totally relate.

3. labellavita1985

labellavita1985 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think there is a way to tell :/ intuitively it makes sense that hairs on their way to becoming miniaturized, and hairs in the process of recovery from miniaturization look exactly the same. It's the same process in reverse. The only way to tell would be to monitor specific hairs throughout several growth cycles, which is next to impossible unless density is significantly compromised and you are somehow able to find the specific hair and monitor it over time. It would also take years to monitor the hair even throughout just 2 cycles.

4. megan99

megan99 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Barbarian,

I sent you a private message--but have no idea if that function works. I think you can be pretty confident that it is regrowth. In my experience(extensive) with sheds, the hair that comes back if you can see it without a microscope is normal regrowth.

I also wanted to ask if you are still on dutasteride. Or did you get off?