Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE

Discussion in 'Women's Alopecia Areata' started by Miranda, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Miranda

Miranda Guest

for the longest time I thought I was the only one in my family to ever have Alopecia Areata. But I m not!!!!!

On MOnday I am going to UC SAn Francisco to be a part of the NAAF clinical research. They sent me a 45page questionarre, and some of it wanted to know about my Paternal grandparents whom I have never talked to........from what everyone in my family alwayz said I thout they never wanted to meet me.

So got up the courage to call my grandfather (biological) and he was very nice to me, not at all how I expected it. He then told me my cousin ALSO has Alopecia Areata, he said he could only imagine how I feel because my cousin had a hard time and he is a male.

So now I dont feel like such outcast in both respects :D

Thanks for listening

2. Hi Miranda! So glad to hear that you have found a link in your family history. It';s nice to have someone that can understand that you can be face to face with. i still have not found mine although I blevieve that it is possible for Alopecia Areata to be hereditary.

3. Miranda

Miranda Guest

you know the crazy thing is that he is my first cousin. Not an aunt and nephew. But two in the same line. I wonder if that makes a difference.

I asked if UC San Francisco needed his blood aswell, would he be willing to take part in the research and he said Yes!!!!!!

4. Joann

Joann Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Miranda, :)

I've had Alopecia Areata a long time and was under the impression that there was no other family history of it.

Then my mom tells me about a year or so ago that my great-grandmother (paternal) had AT. She eventually had full regrowth.

There is definitely a genetic link for some of us who have Alopecia Areata. Thatis why they urge people to get invoved with the Alopecia registry. They are especially interested in families who have more than one member with Alopecia Areata or twins where one has Alopecia Areata and the other does not.

I'm very glad to hear that you're taking part in the NAAF clinical research. I can't because you have to be a U.S. citizen. I live in Canada.

The Registry gives the most hope that a link, common to all of us with Alopecia Areata , will be found and a cure will follow.

Take care. Hugs. Joann

5. Karen

Karen Guest

The more I talk to my mom and dad the more people they remember that had some type of hair loss. My mom recalls a great aunt of mine that had Alopecia Areata-Alopecia Universalis - but no one ever talked about it - then I find out one of my cousins on my dad's side has it. Maybe there is some type of connection.

6. mawmaw

mawmaw Guest

Miranda,
    Reading your post about calling your paternal grandfather, brought tears to my eyes. How wonderful for you! Alopecia Areata aside, that is an important step in your life. Good for you for taking that step. I am so glad that it was positive...I hope it continues to be.

Blessings,
    mawmaw