Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

I hate PCOS

Discussion in 'PCOS Community' started by mjh, May 19, 2008.

1. mjh

mjh Guest

Just venting...I feel miserable today. I hate the hair loss, the acne and the extra body hair. In the past couple of years I've been getting bumps on my legs which have progressively gotten worse. They're bigger boils and they leave ugly dark marks which take years to fade! I went to sea world yesterday and it seemed like everyone else had flawless legs. So this morning I was crying about that. And I've gained weight.

I know things can be worse but I haven't slept much and it's that time of month.

2. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

mjh

I dont have PCOS and I have the same things.

My body is hairy from head to toe, LITERALLY. Anyone have this???? I have more hair on my cheeks, forehead, neck than my boyfriend!! He only has hair on his beard and mustache. My arms are hairy, from wrist to shoulder.....my stomach is hairy.....my ass is hairy..I have more hair on my back then he does. I can relate. OH and the bumps?? I have had those for YEARS on the back of my arms and tops of my legs. They are scarred now along with my face from cystric acne.
    I can relate girl!!! :thumbdown2:

3. michelesmith

michelesmith Guest

i sometimes wonder if i was meant to be a monkey lol, maybe its because im Italian im super hairy also esp my arms its so embarrasing to have more hair on your arms than a man!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

I am half italian. But I am more hairy now than I was 5 years ago..and that I do not understand..you are suposed to LOSE body hair as you age...

5. mjh

mjh Guest

My legs are very hairy. If it wasn't for the boils I would feel better about that issue though. They're on my thighs mostly.

Bunnyheather--you have all those symptoms and you don't have PCOS? Have you had your hormones tested?

6. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

Yes and I have had my hormones tested and they are all normal.

7. catfancy

catfancy Guest

Heather, you and I are medical anomalies.

I supposedly have PCOS, but I'm not hairy at all. I haven't had to shave my legs in years. Both my endocrinologist and my dermatologist brought up that my arm hair is very thin and fine as well. It's the weight gain, bad skin, and hair loss, though. I also have normal hormones. Argh! It's not so bad now, but I had horrible cystic acne (my whole face was swollen with it, it hurt to smile for close to a year), lost a lot of hair (duh) and I doubled in size in a few years. Sigh. I lost weight after taking Metformin, but I'm gaining it back and fast. I'm thinner than I was, but that's not saying much. My skin is better after Accutane, but it's still much worse than most people my age, never mind the scars :(

I don't get boils, but I get eczema. Ugh.

8. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

I get excema too..its in remission right now..I took accutane too and it made me have a shed (I was 22) I am sorry you have had to go thru the weight thing AND acne AND hair loss. I am always down on myself cuz I am dysfigured in all "skin" ways, lol..I really am! The only thing I got going 4 me is that I am "thin"....who knows I could gain a ton of weight!! I a have gained 5 lbs since being on Avodart. I hope it stays at 5 lbs!

I can relate to you!!!
    :punk: HERES TO US ANOMALIES!!!!! :punk:

I ask my mom why everything always happens to me and she says "Its cuz youre special" BOO!!

9. dying curls

dying curls Guest

Not all girls with PCOS are hairy ...what plays most the PCOS or not PCOS in being hairy is your sensivity to androgens locally , just on the skin. We have on the skin androgen receptors that are more or less sensitive.

takes 2 girls...One HAS pcos but her androgens receptors arent sensitive at all...she wont be really hairy..BUT her androgen recepters on some places like chin might get activated nevertheless (or they might not)
    The other girls has not PCOS but she is very androgen receptive on her skin....then it's easier for her androgens receptros to tell the follicle on hte body to produce more hair...and this generally increase with Androgenetic Alopecia...
    The process of getting less hairy with age is true after you get really old or at least for woman well after your menaupose....given that they're not androgen sensitive...you will notice how women around menaupose always have facial hair issue (pcos or not)....

For an average girl with an average sensitivity to androgen...of course PCOS will make hair more hairy than average...but HRT usually can take care of it after....
    the thing with PCOS and mark on the legs too is not only the hair but also the body is disturbed, and like in diabetic people is not as good as healing so the little marks take longer to heal...i notice those mark go away quickly under HRT...

I am hairy on my legs...i think i have always been...very dark hair there....on the rest of my body before i "truely" developped PCOS i was not hairy at all...my arms always have been ok..but then with pcos i developped facial hair and my tummy fuzz became dark...most of my friends who certainly arent androgen sensitive and who have PCOS dont have unwanted hair prob..also they're blond so even if they were men they would have blond hair so that's cool for them....

As for the origin and hair..i dont think it play a part in terms of hair that you develop elsewhere than where a woman should have...you might get hairy arms and leg..but those are places where women have hair but facial hair for exemple arent something due to origin.

it has been shown that people from INdia, are apprently more prone to PCOS just as some people in some country are more prone to diabetis...i think native american are too...but a native american girl with PCOS wont be veyr hairy..native american arent naturally very hairy...so not androgen sensitive...but of course those are generalities..there are many variations...

10. kaylee

kaylee Guest

I've heard that if your androgens are high enough, you don't need to have a sensitivity. Just the super high T levels alone can cause problems!

11. dying curls

dying curls Guest

yes that is why i was saying!...elevated T isually a sign oF PCOS or let's say PCOS tendency but wether you will developp nasty hair from it or no depends on your androgen sensivity...But for sure a girl with an average androgen sensivity will get a bit hairy..one with a very high sensivity for a same level of T will get even hairier, when for the same level a girl not andorgen sensitive wont see much of a difference.

The androgen level in your blood and the sensivity of the receptors on your skin are two different things..( we have androgen receptors in our body hair follicle and scalp hair follicle, but being androgen sensitive on the body does not always mean you will be androgen sensitive on the scalp)

12. angieangie

angieangie Guest

OMG!
    I have those bumps on my arms and legs too that leave dark marks.
    I started using an exfoliating glove to scrub them every second night and I use hand cream (thicker than body cream) to moisturize twice a day. I got rid of them within a month. I have more right now than I did a few months ago, but that's because I stopped doing it for about a month.

13. kaylee

kaylee Guest

But if my testosterone never would have gotten so high, I probably never would have gotten the hair growth/loss, isnt that the same with you?

14. mjh

mjh Guest

Yeah I bet if my testosterone stayed normal I wouldn't have had these problems either. Mine was 89 on a scale of like, 2-76. I remember that 76 was supposed to be the highest but I'm not sure about the two.

15. kaylee

kaylee Guest

I bet I could have kept the hair loss from even starting If I would have gotten it down sooner. Thats what makes me so mad. I knew I had a prob because I had the facial hair thing for years before the hair loss even started. When I got it tested it was 117.

16. mjh

mjh Guest

Yeah I noticed a couple of gross, thick facial hairs when i was about 19. Then hair loss kicked in at 22. But I've been putting off treatment because I'm ttc...I wasn't when it first happened but I thought it was better to wait after I was done with kids. So I waited a few years and just used the Lasercomb. Still doing that.

17. VANESA

VANESA Guest

Dying curls.
    You explain it so well.
    My sentiments exactly....

18. dying curls

dying curls Guest

yes i dont think i ever said the contrary, but what you and me are experiencing is not what all PCOS girls are experiencing, ...my PCOS firneds were lucky enough to be diagnosed around age 16 mostly because they had irregular or absent period so they never developped some symptoms that i have like facial hair..at 16 i did not have facial hair yet i certainly already had PCOS...the symptoms too long to creep on me....Myabe if some of my PCOS had been diagnosed later they would have developped other issues...

Of course your elevated T , androgens are responsibel for facial hair and hair loss....but also others girls with the same level because they arent at all androgen sensitive dont develop this, my sister is an exemple..she must pluck a couple of chin hair a month..big deal...and she is 33 those chin hair only appeared a couple of month ago...she prolly always had PCOS too...

Even girls who do not have PCOS get Androgenetic Alopecia at an early age and are treated as if they had PCOS because they are androgen sensitive, and certainly more androgen sensitive than us girls who developped Androgenetic Alopecia because of PCOS...
    it's all a question of sensivity to androgens apart from PCOS.

19. curlyone

curlyone Guest

MJH- you mentioned you have boils... have you gone to an MD for this and if so what did they say/ do about it?
    I don't think boils are a symptom of pcos, they are usually due to a bacterial infection , in which case antibiotics should work for that.

LITTLE BUMPS-- A couple of you have posted about little bumps on the arms and legs, if they are little and numerous, kind of like a goose bumps appearance it's most likely milia cysts, it's also called "baby acne" as babies often have them. I have had them forever on the back of my upper arms and on my thighs

20. curlyone

curlyone Guest

MJH- you mentioned you have boils... have you gone to an MD for this and if so what did they say/ do about it?
    I don't think boils are a symptom of pcos, they are usually due to a bacterial infection , in which case antibiotics should work for that.

LITTLE BUMPS-- A couple of you have posted about little bumps on the arms and legs, if they are little and numerous, kind of like a goose bumps appearance it's most likely milia cysts, it's also called "baby acne" as babies often have them. I have had them forever on the back of my upper arms and on my thighs