Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

I HATE SHEDDING!

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by sheeny, Sep 27, 2016.

1. sheeny

sheeny Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry for the dramatic post, but I really do hate it. I am in my 8th month of rogaine & it was going reasonably well. Not huge progress, but lots of regrowth/new growth popping up in the last month. I got my hair done & thought it looked good for the first time in 2 years. Then about a week a go, tons of shedding every day. Shedding mostly long hairs that were my "anchors" and it stinks. I can tell that these hairs are from the top and sides because those are the ones that I recently got highlighted (not at the roots). I feel helpless, sad, mad, etc., etc.
    Anyone have any rogaine shed cycles experiences to share? I have searched the forum & read past posts, just need some encouragement at the moment. Shaving my head never sounded so good!

2. April_moon

April_moon Member

Dislikes Received:
    I never knew Androgenetic Alopecia could cause dramatic shedding, I think I have Androgenetic Alopecia and my shedding is like some strands like maybe 7... maybe its the rogaine causing the shedding. Ive heard if you stop using it you lose not only regrowth but other hair as well.. rogaine is kinda like a life long commitment..

Im sorry I thought this was the Androgenetic Alopecia section.. anywho, Im sorry about the shedding and hope you can find some relief soon :(

3. sheeny

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, it can cause shedding. I was shedding long before I began any treatments, unfortunately. The rogaine does not help stop shedding, but it syncs the shedding cycles. I also have gone through many TEs or CTE cycles i guess, so i don't know whats going on now.

4. April_moon

April_moon Member

Dislikes Received:
    What do you mean by sync's shedding? hmm if its telogen effluivium usually it has to correct itself and the shedding will stop and that can take months , maybe a year or longer. TE is caused by a shock to your body's system, be it an illness, an accident something major ( I heard of a lady with alopecia and she found out that her husband was the trigger of her alopecia and it stopped once she left him lol... (Is anything stressing you out? have you been involved in anything traumatic; a caraccident, death of a loved one?)

so with TE you have to find ways to de-stress as much as possible ; get 8 hours of sleep if possible and regular alopecia(areata,univeralis ect) is an inside job, cause by an autoimmune disease-- so try to eat better, eat healthier, eat for your immune and your hair( not saying you don't do this..nor am I saying it'll bring your hair back but don't knock it till you try it :) )

I hope everything gets better

5. CurlyQ

CurlyQ Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Sheeny,

Well, if that's what it takes to feel better about yourself, go for it! I have done it in the past. I just took out my clippers and gave myself a buzz cut. I got tired of the excessive shedding. I shed about 200 hairs daily. It gets frustrating feeling the hair tangled in my fingers as I try to shampoo my hair and then seeing all the hair in the drain strainer. Ugh.

Do what you have to to feel better about yourself. And try to focus on other things in your life. Our hair is such a small fraction of who we are and sometimes we let it control our every waking hour. Focus on you! Get out there and have some fun! You're strong! You can do it! You've got this!! :punk:

6. sheeny

Dislikes Received:
    April- at any one time 10% of a healthy head of hair is in a state of telogen obv in in a te state it's more. Rogaine takes all of those hairs that we're going to shed in one, two, three months and prematurely sheds them. As a result all of your growth happens at the same time, but then on the negative side, your shedding of those hairs happens all at once. That's how your shedding cycle syncs up on rogaine.
    Thanks for your advice. I think it started with a te 2 years ago, but at this point, I think I have Androgenetic Alopecia. I also had te after giving birth to my kids and stopping birth control years ago. I have had 3 biopsies& spent thousands on drs, treatments, etc. I chose to start rogaine as my last resort last January. It was going ok until now :(
    I'm generally a anxious person, but no trauma has occurred. I've been on these forums for almost two years now, you can read my previous posts, treatments, see pics, etc if you search my name. I so appreciate your feedback!
    Curlyq-
    I want to!!! But I'm not ready yet. I've done a much better job about not letting this control my mood and my life, but I have relapses. This is one of them, however, I'm in a much better mental state than I was a year ago. At least I'm not crying in the bathroom anymore ;)
    Thanks for your encouragement!!

7. nitu1

nitu1 Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have no advice, just hope that the shed stops soon for you.
    I just started going on rogaine daily, a week ago...keeping my fingers crossed :)

8. ElPatoEllington

ElPatoEllington Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I don't even understand how I've physically been able to lose so much hair every day for the last 2.5 years and still have any left on my head. It just pours off morning, noon and night. I lost my mind a few months ago to the point that I kept a written record of how many hairs I count each day and PLOTTED A LINE GRAPH of my findings. My husband was rather concerned when he happened upon it in our kitchen. But as for Rogaine... I used to use the 2% once daily and didn't notice that it impacted my shed either positively or negatively. I stopped using it when I got pregnant and didn't notice a difference then either (I had a miscarriage basically right away so I can't chalk that up to pregnancy hormones) so I just never restarted it. I don't know about you, but my scalp really hated the liquid and it was always very irritated. If your shed is fluctuating 8 months in, I'd say it's definitely related to some other factor. Of course that's the $64000 question we're all trying to figure out

9. nitu1

nitu1 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Sheeny,
    Just wondering if your shedding has normalized again?
    Take care

10. sheeny

Dislikes Received:
    Hey nitu- it seems to have gone down a bit the past few days from when I wrote this post. Hopefully this shed session has passed!

11. brown

brown New Member

Dislikes Received:
    SAME BOAT

Hi Sheeny. I'm right behind you in terms of timeline with using rogaine. I have also been experiencing an increase in shedding for a week and a half. Yesterday and today are quite dramatic actually. Keeping fingers crossed.

12. JenVoy

JenVoy Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I am personally not a fan of the "its stress" causing a TE.

I've been shedding 150+ since July 2015. My TE caused by Trazodone. I'm getting "8 hours" and there is no way to keep stress out of your life. Even my therapist agreed with me that if I had stress induced hair loss, I'd be bald years ago!

I believe TE's recover when they do and we have zero control which is what makes it so scary.

I'm crossing my fingers I'm one of the ones I have read about that recovers in year 2-3!

13. ElPatoEllington

ElPatoEllington Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Yep. I've been way more stressed at other times in my life than I was when this all started. I cling on to the stress hypothesis randomly to feel like I have some level of power over my shedding, but I'm 99% sure it's caused by something completely out of my control. It slows and picks up totally independently of anything I'm doing myself. It's really tiring and if I could just not think about it, I would. It would be nice to be less stressed just for my overall quality of life, but I think stressing less is a lot easier said than done!!