Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

I have had Alopecia Areata for 10+ years and I have lost 95% of my hair.

Discussion in 'Women's Alopecia Areata' started by lottepotta, Feb 27, 2007.

1. lottepotta

lottepotta Guest

Hi everyone,
    I have never talked with anyone else who has Alopecia Areata before. I started losing my hair right before my wedding day. It started out small and now 10 years later I have lost 90% of my hair. I always thought of my long blonde hair as one of my best features, but now I have learned it is my positive attitude that really is most important. I have always reminded myself that things could be so much worse like I could have a life threatening disease or something horrible like that.I feel that if I try my very best to have a positive attitude and try real hard not to feel sorry for myself I can get through this tough time. Of course I do get frustrated and depressed just like most Alopecians do, but I remind myself to snap out of it and to try not to focus so much on my missing hair.I have received many painful injections, I have tryed protopic, Vitamins, special shampoo and quitting birth control pills. I got some help from the shots but now I hardly have any hair left so whats the point if it doesn't help much? I don't know what side effects I got from all the cortisone injections doe anyone know? I did post a picture of my great wigs that I found at a salon in San francisco. Check it out in the wig section. I included all the info to help others find some self esteem from a new wig like I did> I am a mom of a 2.5 year old who has a great head of hair thank goodness. I hope she doen't get it. No one else in my family has Alopecia Areata except for a cousin so it skips generations I guess. I did suffer from a horrible backsurgery fusion of the spine 6 years ago and I have chronic Pain as well. I thought the pain and Pain meds may of contributed to activating my Alopecia Areata. It is so active will it ever calm down or am I going to lose it all? I am looking for friends with Alopecia Areata. Anyone live near Sonoma Valley California? Everyone at work always tells me how nice my hair looks, they can't tell I am bald because of my great wig. I choose to wear a wig so people don't pity me. I don't want pity I just want support.

2. mamamia3

mamamia3 Guest

Thank you for sharing your story. I saw the pictures you posted and you look wonderful. Would never guess you were wearing a wig.

I have Androgenetic Alopecia due to high androgen levels. This past year for me has been a nightmare. I've had moments where I thought of ending my life because I don't want to go through the shame and humilation of going bald. I know that sounds so cowardly. But like you, I always felt that my hair was one of my best feature. Now that I'm loosing it, what am I left with? Personality? That I need to work on! Going through this has made it even harder to be positive, outgoing, friendly etc. In fact, it's made everything I do so much harder.

Your post gave me some inspiration and I thank you for that! I hope that one day I will again feel good about myself.