Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

I have one little bald spot left

Discussion in 'Women's Alopecia Areata' started by Karen, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Karen

Karen Guest

and know I shouldn't be flipping but why won't it grow there? That was the first place it started - you would think that it would be first to come back.

Joann, Kimby? When your hair grew back, did it grow all over? Is this unusual? Should I get another round of shots there?

2. Joann

Joann Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Karen,

Can you tell me again where this stubborn spot is? I know that for me the temple areas and nape of my neck never filled in really thick after I had that first very severe bout of Alopecia Areata.

My derm refused to inject me in those areas saying that it was next to impossible to regrow hair there. Yet I have read of cases where people have regrown and kept the hair in those same areas.

It wouldn't hurt to have have injections to see if that would jumpstart regrowth.

Let us know what you decide to do Karen . Hugs. Joann

3. Karen

Karen Guest

Joann

The bald spot is on the top right hand side. Dime-sized. I'm not having any trouble around the nape of my neck or temples - just seems like the left side of my hair is growing in thicker than the right side. My temple on my left is all filled in but the right is struggling. My derm says no more - but I feel I should get one more round. I made the appointment for June 30 so I think I'm gonna do another set and then be done. I keep saying I'm done and keep going back. It's hard to let this go already.

4. Karen,

I remember several times when I was regrowing my hair that I had spots that were "stubborn". The Doctor had no answer as to why these spots were like that but I remember just continuing with the treatment until it finally filled in. I would say that another round of injections wouldn't hurt. Are you using any type of topical treatment like cortisone cream on that spot?

5. Cat

Cat Guest

Karen,

I am so encouraged to hear about your regrowth. How long was your Alopecia Areata active for?? I soooo hope there really is an end to this nightmare for all of us.

6. Karen

Karen Guest

Cat

After I posted that I didn't think it was encouraging at all. I thought I was being whiny. My Alopecia Areata started in May 2005 and I lost 80% by August. From August til almost May - almost one year from start, I wore a wig. I am wig free now. I have it cut in a short pixie - the length is right below my ears - finally. The sides are skimpy but filling in and the top - is a mass of curls - my kids think sometimes I look like Kramer from Seinfeld! The cortisone shots worked for me and I have been kind of lax on the cream - although I should start putting it on again. Maybe that's all that little spot needs. I'm glad I can be encouraging to you all. That's what's it all about. I was so frightened when I joined this forum and I don't think I would have made it emotionally without the support of all these women.

7. IONLYWISH

IONLYWISH Guest

Karen,
    You were not whiny at all. You were being real. That's why I come to these boards. I want to know that I'm not the only one that is experiencing this. I want to know that others have experienced the same feelings and fears that I have. I want answers to questions that other people are asking. I want to hear the good and bad of it all because that grounds me and gives me a realistic perspective. I appreciate your contribution to these boards. Although we live far apart and have never met, you have been a huge reason that I have been able to get though my nightmare. You and the other women on these boards are truly amazing and I am grateful for all that you share here. Thank you.
    Twins

8. Karen

Karen Guest

Twins

I can't tell you what your post meant to me tonight. It sure brightened a day that started off gloomy. I'm so happy that I can give encouragement to you Twins. You will get through this - just like I did - I believe that. I also want you to know that I am here for you no matter what - even if it's just to talk about other things besides hair!

9. Sissy

Sissy Guest

Karen,
    I agree with Twins, you are certainly not being whiney at all! You are just a person who has been through a horrific ordeal over the last year and your ready to be done with this. That sounds very normal to me. Im right there with you girlfriend. :D

10. Karen

Karen Guest

Today was the last set of shots - and I counted only 10 - no more appointments - no more check ins. I'm done and today I'm counting every hair as a blessing. I remember Claire said she kept a journal and now I wish I had done that. I can remember from start - May 2005 until June 30 - one year and one month - from start to finish. I cried on the way home today. It was such a huge burden to carry all these months. I want to thank each and everyone one of you for carrying me through. I don't know what I would have done without you all.

11. sawyersmom

sawyersmom Guest

Karen,

I know you are relieved that you are through( crosses fingers and toes) with this hairmare.............:) I cant even begin to imagine how much better that much feel.

hope you will stick around to help the rest of us through it.

Beth

12. Karen

Karen Guest

Beth

Hon - I'm not going anywhere and I sure hope that's not the way it sounded. Everyone has been such a huge support to me through all this I just wanted to say thank you.

Attached Files:

• 11.jpg
      11.jpg
      File size:
      47.8 KB
      Views:
    • 11.jpg
      11.jpg
      File size:
      47.8 KB
      Views:
    • 11.jpg