Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

I just found out that I have this terrible punishment!!

Discussion in 'Women's Alopecia Areata' started by Rnay, Sep 16, 2006.

1. Rnay

Rnay Guest

I do not know what to expect cant really get much out of the derm except they dont know what it will do... I had my first injection about 2 weeks ago on the spot at the back of my head(its a little larger than a golf ball) 3 days after the injection I had some hair growth, very thin.... I was so happy... Then my husband and I was in the car with the wind blowing my hair and seen the second spot on the top front of my head, it was smaller than a dime, called the derm and went the same day and had it injected... That was 2 days ago and all he could tell me is that its very active... Originally I was suppose to have the injections every six weeks and when I went to him for the second injection he wants to inject every 3 weeks... Does the injections stop the hair loss or is it just to help the hair grow back? How the hell will I ever live like this and everybody around me not be embarresed to be seen with me? All I have done is cry and just really want some answers...Someone tell me what Im in for.....

Thanks for listening to me feel sorry for my self....
    Renee'

Attached Files:

2. New Girl

New Girl Guest

Welcome to the site.
    I have Alopecia Areata...I have had it for roughly a year...
    I was diagnosed in March 06 and I go every 4 weeks for shots with great success. Now I am going every 8 weeks and may be able to stop them soon... :D

The shots only help the spots of hairloss come back. Nothing stops it from falling out, sorry I wish I had better news than that.

Basically the process with me has been you get a spot, you go get shots, it grows back and then you may find another spot. It is a cycle I guess you could call it.

My derm said some women have this for a year and never see another spot and others have it forever and some go completely bald...everyone is different.

I have come to peace with mine, although I am sure it is due to mine is coming back and the spots I have left I can hide easily, but I know when I was first diagnosed I was going nuts...hang in there is does get easier with time.

Kori

3. Joann

Joann Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome Renee. :)

I'm sorry to hear you have Alopecia Areata but glad that you have joined this group.

I've had Alopecia Areata since I was 4 years old and I'm almost 55 now. Alopecia Areata is a very frustrating and unpredictable disease. I have never found two people whose Alopecia Areata followed the same pattern not even in the same family where more than one member had it.

Many people do not go on to have the more severe forms of Alopecia Areata . In my case the prognosis was not good because I was diagnosed at such a young age but even so I had many years when my Alopecia Areata did not flare up.

The cortisone shots generally work very well in jumpstarting regrowth. As Kori told you there is no cure at this time to prevent the hair from falling out.

Try to take it a day at a time . You may only have these couple spots that grow back and that may be it.

I would be glad to answer any other questions you may have. Take care. Hugs. Joann

4. Rnay

Rnay Guest

Thank You for the support!!!

Its nice to talk to someone!!

5. Rnay

Rnay Guest

I took a shower and thought I would fix my hair so that my husband could take me out for our ann. and found another spot... THis time I notice that my scalp has red spots all over... Is this normal? Should I get a second opinion.... Im so scared, I dont know what to do and someone has to know what to do to stop it.... Please help!!!!!!!!!!

Renee'

6. New Girl

New Girl Guest

I am sorry you found another spot, but unfortunetly with Alopecia Areata there is nothing to do to stop it from falling out, just the shots to help it come back.

I have heard alot of things some have tried from only washing there hair once a week to weird things they put on there hair like honey...nothing stops it, it just needs to take it coarse.

Just hang in there, they say that stress is linked to Alopecia Areata so if you worry about it, it wont help, it may even hurt. :?

Your in my thoughts....
    Kori

7. AmandaC

AmandaC Guest

Rnay, red spots all over can signal folliculitis or a fungal infection. Especiallyif you have an itchy burning scalp. Or it could be that you've used a product that has irritated or you've simply brushed your hair too hard (I notice that I forget my hair is thinner and use harder force to run my comb thru than is needed and end up scratching myself). But, you need to see the dermo again and get more shots for the new spot. And possibly a scalp biopsy for the red spots. Then the doctor will know how to treat them. New Girl is right, try not to stress yourself because it can make a bad situation worse. Lots of women here take antidepressants/anxiety meds and it may help you to feel calmer while you are fighting the Alopecia Areata. But you are headed in the right direction by seeing your doctor. Hang in there. I know it is hard but you can get thru this. Many women with Alopecia Areata regrow there hair completely, and you may also! We support you and are here if you need us.
    AmandaC

8. Rnay

Rnay Guest

Amanda and New Girl,

Thanks for the replys... I thought not wanting to brush or wash my hair was stupid, glad Im not the only one.... I have found another spot #4 that was not there this morning.... It seams to not be there then the next time I go to the mirror its there.... All in the same day....I go to the MD next week and will ask about the meds, the alopicia is not the only thing that is bothering me but it sure has took over my emotions lately.... I cant stop the crying and my husband gets so upset when I do nothing but cry or pick through my head to see if there is another spot.....As far as stressing I try but all I can think about is what if, it all falls out, I cant cover it anymore, if I lose it and have to go to the school for my son or run in to someone out in public.... Anyway I know I can get through it, its just hard but have been through harder.... Arthritis at 23, son died 6 years ago, oldest son charged with something he did not do,I had to have a total elbow replacement 2 years ago because of the arthritis, so on and so on.... Just wonder when it will lighten up on me and my mom says there is always someone out there worse than you....I want you all on this site to know through everything I have been through there is always someone that I thank for helping me through and this time it is my family here on heralopecia.... I seem to get answers her when I dont get them at the doctors and I am not glad you are going through the samething but I am glad there is someone there that is going through the samething for me to talk to..... THANK YOU ALL

9. New Girl

New Girl Guest

Anytime....hang in there :)

{{HUGS}}}

10. Lil Nik

Lil Nik Guest

Hi! I so know how you feel! I was first diagnosed with Alopecia Areata last April. I was blow drying my hair and noticed a golf ball sized bald spot on the side of my head. I called my Mom and she seemed to think it was funny because when she was my age she had just had me and noticed the same kind of thing. She only had one spot and never another after that and it grew back quickly. I figured mine was the same thing and was just hormones, but within about 2 weeks I noticed another spot and then 3 days after that... a 3rd! Thats when I went to the doctor and he said it was alopecia. He put me on oral prednisone and I hated it. It seemed that I was always cranky, hungry, and constipated then I gained weight. I was on the prednisone for around 2 months with no re-growth before the doctor decided to try injections in the areas of hair loss. It does hurt but eventually I had regrowth. Currently I have no new spots so hopefully I'm in remission!! I do know what you mean though about feeling your scalp constantly for more spots... I do it all the time even though I try so hard not to. I wish you the best of luck and hope that my positive story (at least for the time being) helps! Just remember that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger and that worrying does more harm than good... even though I know how impossible it is to not think about it. Hugs and best wishes!!

11. Rnay

Rnay Guest

Thank You

Thnak You for your story... I have had some regrowth but it just fell out again... I do go to the derm. or the 5th, just a couple of days... We will see what happens then.... I will update you all on thursday evening.... THanks for listening

12. csymansky

csymansky Guest

good luck with the derm...i remember going to the doctor for the first time many years ago.....I've quit going now because I feel there is nothing they can do for me...but ona brighter note my dad has Alopecia Areata and he hasn't had a flare up in YEARS!!!! So there is still hope out there.....just hang in there and remember we are all here for you!

13. Rnay

Rnay Guest

Thank You all!!!!!

I have to admit I have not been hearing what has been said or maybe I am crazy, I thought that you could not stop the hair falling out and the derm I saw today said that the injections helps the hair follicles, so it stops the inflamation of the hair follicles.... Which in turn will cause the hair to stop falling out and then will allow it to grow back.... She is the first person to tell me this... Who is crazy me or her!!!! LOL

Hugs to all of you and Hope you all are having a wonderful day!!!!

Renee'

14. Rue627

Rue627 Guest

Hi Renee,

I think we can all understand how frustrating it is to not get any answers from our derm. Unfortunately Alopecia Areata is an autoimmune disorder and the course is different for everyone, just like mutilpe sclerosis, each case is like a snowflake, no two are alike. The purpose of the shots is to help with inflamation (to reduce the amount of t cells attacking the hair follicules) They don't make the hair regrow, but if the site can be stabilized your hair follicles will begin to grow once again.

I've had this for a year and a half and lost about 95% of my hair and my right eyebrow in about 6 months of the 1st patch. Now I am seeing serious regrowth and have 2 eyebrows (yeah!). I still have small spots that also come and go! Try not to live and die with each new spot, I know it is easier said than done. You are more than a head of hair- I had to learn that the hard way. Hang in there!

Rue :D