Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

I need help

Discussion in 'PCOS Community' started by joan, Jun 5, 2011.

1. joan

joan Guest

Hello everyone,

i am writing because I simply can not take this illness anymore. I am loosing my hair, growing hair, and having oily skin. The doctors can't agree on any type of treatment. Some say I have IR and some I don't. My moods are horrible. I lost all enjoyment in my life and feel anxious and depressed everyday. I lost my relationship because of this and feel so alone. no one understands. I feel like my hormones are so out of whack that i can no longer function.

Is there anyone else out there who is suffering from depression and anxiety. Did any treatments lik birthcontrol, steriods, or metformin help? Or do most people use anti-depressants. I don't do well on ant-depres. meds and I don't know what to do. I am feeling so overwhelmed. I need help.

2. Joann

Joann Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome joan,

Sorry to hear that you are struggling at this time. I don't know very much about PCO's but there are other girls who have that diagnosis here. Hopefully they'll be along soon to help you with your questions & concerns.

There is a also an online support group solely focused on PCO's called soulcysters. I would suggest joining that site as well. Here is a link to it:

http://www.soulcysters.com/

Hugs,
    Joann

3. Kay777

Kay777 Guest

hi joan,

i'm sorry you're experiencing such a rough time right now. it's hard enough coping with hair loss and so much harder when that's compounded with the loss of a relationship and confused doctors!

have you thought about therapy rather than meds? psych meds for depression are no more effective than counseling--and many experts think that some of antidepressants' effectiveness comes from the placebo effect anyway.

i can tell you that BCPs really messed with my moods. my moods were great prior to starting BCPs. all the extra female hormones put me on edge and made me feel depressed/anxious way more than i ever have in my life. of course, every woman is different.

another route to go is supplements. have you considered seeking out a naturopath?

just some ideas. keep us posting on your progress, and hang in there!!
    kay

4. Chickadee

Chickadee Guest

Low estrogen is one definite cause of depression, for it's estrogen that boosts your serotonin levels. I don't have PCOS, but oral contraceptives (and Estrogel) certainly helped me in this regard.

I find it interesting that so many women are scared to take oral contraceptives (or bioidentical estrogen); on the other hand, I'm scared to take anti-depressants. I refused them even though my MD was very sure that I needed them. In truth, what I needed was estrogen at certain times of my cycle; indeed, the hormones dramatically improved my mood. But I'm perimenopausal, so this may not be very relevant to you. Just thought I'd mention it in case . . .

5. dying curls

dying curls Guest

Hey. I have Pcos too.
    My main symptom is hair loss and also chine hair.... :$
    the first thing to do if you want those symptoms to stop bothering you is to get your hormones in checks.
    There are several solutions for this. The first one is to take an antiandrogenic birth control pill that might be enough to relieve you from these symptoms but maybe you'll need something more.

Be aware though that pcos often comes with irregular or heavy periods...you want to avoid heavy periods because it puts you at risk for uterine problems that can cause aenemia, a great deal of trouble fertilitywise (more so than pcos alone) later or other problems (endomietrosis)...so the birth control pill is really good if you experience heavy periods.

It will also help with various PMS.

If the birth control pill is not enough you have to add an antiandrogen like spironolactone to the combo, this settle the issue of unwanted hair in almost every cases. See with your doctor.

If you are indeed insulin resistant (it could work even if you arent ) you can take metformin alone (without antiandrogens or birth control pill) or in adition to them. Metformin alone has been proved to be effectiv ein treating PCOS in insulin resistant women, but again every cases is different. From the testimoniesfrom girls here it seems to take more time to work than antiandrogens though..but I've heard girls on other boards who were very happy with it.

I am taking an antiandrogen and natural oestrogens (another combo). I am 29 and i ve been on them for 5 years and it saved my hair so far (even if i did not regrew what i lost since i was 16...i was lucky (and unlucky, that's why i did not noticed the loss early enough) the loss was very very slow and progressive...

6. joan

joan Guest

Chickadee - how did you know your estrogen was low. Mine seems low but is still within normal ranges. So the doctors say I am fine.

Also, for those of you that have taken the pill - have your gained alot of weight going on it or off of it. I am thin but the hairloss is killin me and my anxiety is out of control.

7. dying curls

dying curls Guest

I havent put on any weight going on or off the pill. I am thin too.
    I am the same weight now at 29 than i was at 17...yet i have pcos...well this last couple of months for the first time in my life it seems i put 1/2 kilos on my hips... :whistle: but the pills is not the culprit...I am eating a lot lately due to the stress of being jobless...

8. Chickadee

Chickadee Guest

Joan, my endocrinologist established that I was low on the basis of my symptomology. There are many symptoms of low estrogen -- google them for a full list. (My estrogen was actually at the very high end of normal - 400 midcyle, AND my FSH was low. The doctor said I was very fertile.) My estrogen was crashing during the week of my period, though. And my high cortisol was interfering with both my estrogen and thyroid receptors. Your blood levels can be within normal ranges but that doesn't mean that the hormones are reaching their receptors (one reason why it's good to go primarily by symptoms and only secondarily by lab results -- at leasts if you're in perimenopause, like me.)

I've always been slim, and when I was younger the pill didn't affect my weight either way. When I started experiencing perimenopause and went back on the pill, I actually lost 5 lbs.

9. joan

joan Guest

O.k - are you all IR. My doctors think I a maybe - but no one is for sure yet. waht type of doctor figured out your estrogen and cortisol? Was it an endo or RE? I have been to so many doctors and they just seem to randomly test my hormones and not follow my cycle to see if things get high or low. They have tested me mostly right before my period and a fe times on day 2-3.