Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

I think my daughter has PCOS

Discussion in 'PCOS Community' started by Kristi, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Kristi

Kristi Guest

I have PCOS and now I think my daughter may have it as well.

She is 13, turning 14 very soon. She had her very first menstrual cycle in April of this year. Her next period came almost exactly 30 days later, but almost nothing since then. She did have a slight brown (sorry for the exact description), not red, light cycle a few weeks ago but that's been it. She also has a MAJOR combo of what I believe to be Keratosis Pilaris/Acne (I have this combo too). It is on her face, chest, back, and shoulders. It's really, really bad. Also she has developed dark hair on her upper lip and her toes. There is possibly some developing on her tummy too. She is very thin but complains about a fat belly. It's not bad, but to her it is. It is the only place she really carries weight. I don't think she has any real hair loss yet, but I do see her part going further back than I think it should and sometimes I think the front looks a little thin. I have briefly told her what to be on the look out for, but she says that she thinks her hair is fine. Hopefully, I am just being paranoid. Not sure though. If she does have hair loss, it's in the beginning stages. I have kept my opinions to myself though, so I don't worry her.

I have scheduled an appointment with the Gynecology dept of our local Children's hospital because their website states that they treat PCOS in teens and adoloscents. However, my mom just thinks that it's normal for girls her age to be irregular, etc... She thinks I am jumping the gun and should just let her hormones work themselves out. She just thinks a derm for her skin is all that's needed. We do have a derm appt scheduled too.

I feel the opposite of my mom. I can't just ignore what I see and possibly live in denial. I agree with the fact that the first two years of a girls' cycle can be irregular, but with all the other symptoms and me having PCOS then it seems to me that she is more likely to have it than not have it. Her symptoms are also so much more severe than mine were at her age. What do you all think? Am I jumping to conclussions here? Is she too young to be diagnosed? Does anyone else have experience with this?

My daughter, who has a major aversion to needles (bloodwork), wants to go. She has always had hairy arms (not sure if just genetic or hormonal) since a very young age (seen in pictures from at least 6 years old and possibly younger) and has been made fun of for it. She also gets teased about her skin. She is becoming depressed with very low self esteem. My goal is just to see what they think. Maybe they rule it out or say it's too soon to tell, but at least we would know we tried.

I am not happy about the thought of my daughter being put on the pill at such a young age, but if it helps her self esteem and prevents hair loss and/or other more serious complications then I am willing to consider it.

I would love to hear from anyone with any experience with this. She is so young for all this. Thanks :)

2. Joann

Joann Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Kristi,

As a mom to an 18 yr. old daughter I understand your concerns for your own daughter. I can't advise you medically, however I would like to share with you mother to mother.

When my Alopecia Areata reared it's head again in my forties my first thought turned to my children. I was in remission for all my pregnancies and for some years after as well. I knew in the back of my mind it could start again at any time but I wasn't thinking about my children getting it as well until it started again.

I started to see thinning areas which I felt were Alopecia Areata patches in my daughter's hair as well as a receding hairline . Of course no one could see it but me. She always wore her in tight ponytail too which freaked me out even more.

It turned out to be all in my head as none of my children have presented with Alopecia Areata or any type of hairloss to this point . My boys are 24 & 20. It is still a possibility that I live with but I no longer focus and stress on it as I had been doing. It wouldn't prevent it happening at any rate. At this time I try to teach them that it is who they are not what they look like that matters.

Still I think it's very normal in this day and age for girls especially to worry about appearance. My daughter does though I continue to tell her she's the whole package. :)

I certainly think it's a good idea that you set up an appointment with a derm to deal with her acne. My son Brandon also had a bad case of acne which is totally cleared up now but he saw a derm for years.

Personally I feel talking about the hairloss especially if if it's not as you say "real hairloss yet" may further affect her self-esteem which you say she struggles with.

I can tell you that at 18 yrs. of age my daughter's periods are still irregular at times. She also experiences bad cramps ,not every period some are worse than others. My family doctor wanted to put her on the pill at 16 but I was reluctant to do so. Motrin works quite well at relieving her pain when she has it.

It is solely your decision as to how to proceed. These are just my own thoughts. You're a good mom and will do what you feel is best for your daughter.

Hugs,
    Joann

3. dying curls

dying curls Guest

Kristi,

As Joan say we can't advide you medically.
    Your daughter only started to get her period last April, it's "normal" for her no to be like a clockwork yet, this should happen withing two years or less. Since you are aware of PCOS, she's in good hands, and you'll now what to do.

You can still take her to a doctor for an external opinion and also to ease her anxiety.

She's lucky to have you by her sides because if she later on experiences PCOS symptoms you ll be able to help.

4. Kristi

Kristi Guest

Thanks for your reply, Joann. I find it very reassuring. I'm glad you found alternatives for your daughter versus having to go on the pill. That's a tough decision when they are so young. I'm glad your son has seen improvement as well. Hopefully this is all just "normal" for my daughter.

I did have to edit my original post just to clarify that I have not mentioned my concerns regarding my daughter's hair directly to her. I have kept them to myself and have been hoping that they are in my mind alone. She did ask me when I was initially diagnosed with PCOS last year if she was going to lose her hair too. I told her everyone is different and hopefully she will not have the same experience. I said we have the knowledge to catch it early though. She said "I think it's fine." She hasn't brought it up again since then, so that's good.

The only thing she constantly brings up is her acne and excess hair due to teasing, so she is happy to have some appts scheduled to explore options related to that. We bleach the troublesome body hair at the moment and that's helped a lot. Hopefully, the doctors will have some good options for us too.

Thanks again :)

5. Kristi

Kristi Guest

Thanks, Dying Curls! Knowledge is power, right? ;)