Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

I want my old life back :(

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by Amal07, May 17, 2017.

1. Amal07

Amal07 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hello everyone!

I posted my hair loss story on "Tell your story" about month ago.Long story short:
    -i'm 22 years old
    -noticed thinning since August 2016
    -always had low iron,since december 2016 taking suplements
    -also taking vitamin b6,b12,vitamin c,biotin and magnesium
    -applying castor oil and rosemary oil and shampooing with garlic infused shampoo
    -both grandmothers have thick hair, grandfather on mother side had male pattern baldness and my mom lost almost 70% of her hair 17 years ago,after she gave birth to my brother.That hair never grew back and she seems ok with it I think,since she never talked about it or seeked for medical help
    -my loss is diffuse,but both sides,around ears and nape of back are hit the hardest
    -recently I have noticed thinning at my front hairline and slightly wider part

This problem is affecting my life so much these days that i cannot sleep at night,almost every night i cry myself to sleep,i'm constantly tired and depressed,angry and sad... :(
    I can't stop thinking about my future,what will happen if i get pregnant,will i be bald on my wedding day,will my boyfriend accept me and love me, what will i say if someone asks me if my hair is thinning,i avoid mirrors,sunlight...even my friends and family...i just want my old life back :( i used to be so happy,my biggest joy was getting ready for a night out,putting make up,doing my hair and now i don't even want to go out :(

I have no one to talk to about this problem,especially because i'm so embaressed and this is the only place where i can share this...
    I really,really hope someone will have patience to read this because a nice word and a little hope is the only thing i need now...i feel like i'm drowning :(

2. hairtothere

hairtothere Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sorry you are going through this right now, I can relate to how you are feeling. You say that you've always had low iron but for me low iron/ferritin was the cause of my hair loss. Once I corrected that, my hair came back. So if you are still low iron and ferritin work on raising it. Your ferritin should be between 70-100 (ask your Dr. for a test for each if you don't know your level). Have your Vit. D and zinc levels checked too. I'm not saying this will be some overnight miracle or is even the cause of your loss but you won't know unless you check and correct your low iron. It took my hair about 2 years to fully come back after I got my levels raised.

Have you tried Rogaine? I know you may not want to hear this, but there are great options in helper hair like toppers or wigs. The ladies at heralopecia are a great help and they post pictures and help people new to wearing hair. There are some amazing looking hair options these days. It might not be ideal but it is better than being a shut in.

3. Amal07

Amal07 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Yes,low iron but i was not anemic.Last time i pointed out to the doctor that i want my ferritin level to be checked but when my results came, there was no ferritin on the list :/ Lower border for iron was 8 mine was at 13 last time (a higher border is 30) . I have been suplementing for the last 3 months with twinlab iron,i have finished the bottle yesterday so I definitly have to check my levels again before I continue with taking iron.

How long have you been suplementing before you have noticed any changes?
    When did the shedding slow down/stopped?

- - - Updated - - -

Yes,low iron but i was not anemic.Last time i pointed out to the doctor that i want my ferritin level to be checked but when my results came, there was no ferritin on the list :/ Lower border for iron was 8 mine was at 13 last time (a higher border is 30) . I have been suplementing for the last 3 months with twinlab iron,i have finished the bottle yesterday so I definitly have to check my levels again before I continue with taking iron.

How long have you been suplementing before you have noticed any changes?
    When did the shedding slow down/stopped?

4. booalopecia

booalopecia New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry :(

I'm sorry you're going through this, and I'm sorry I can't be much help - but I can definitely relate. I'm 25 and it SUCKS to be going through this (at any age, I'm sure but) especially in your 20s. I, too, worry about what the state of my hair will be in when i get msrried or have a child (so scary!) It really sucks having to worry about those things.

I want my old life back, too. I dont want to worry about my hair when I jump in the pool or when the wind blos through my car window.. I dont want to let this control my life. I want to be young and have fun, but its hard because I cant stop thinking about it once something triggers my memory (and this can literslly be anything.. even seeing someone with great hair lol)

I hope your hair grows back, adn grows back soon. Sorry I cant be more help, but just know youre definitely not the only one feeling this way. :(

5. Amal07

Amal07 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you sooo much for replaying and for your kind words!!
    That's excatly the same how I feel.I'm scared most of the time ,have nightmares and the scariest thing for me is will I feel this way for the rest of my life. :(
    I can't help myself but to think that this will never end ,especially because my hair loss is so rapidly progressing :(

I have even lost weight,even though I'm not skipping meals because I really want to gain weight.I'm very skinny and I had trouble all my life with gaining weight.This hair loss nightmare is not helping at all.

May I ask what kind of hair loss are you experiencing and for how long have you been batteling with it? Have you visited any doctor and how are you treating your hair?

6. Barbarina

Barbarina Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Zink which was low stopped my hairloss. TOUCH WOOD

7. MeliM

MeliM Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Barbarina , how did you find out your Zinc was low ?

8. Amal07

Amal07 Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not sure if my hair loss is hormone related but i'm avoiding zinc because I have read somewhere that zinc increases testosteron levels...

9. rva207

rva207 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Until Barbarina responds...

My serum zinc was normal 4 years ago, but I have pretty bad IBS-D, which can cause nutrient malabsorption. My Vitamin D was really low prior to my TE and shedding suddenly stopped during my 2nd week of Rx vitamin D. Coincidence? No one knows. Anyway, considering that was so low I wondered if my zinc was also low in spite of normal serum levels (read that could happen). I tried this homeopathic test: http://blog.radiantlifecatalog.com/...-A-simple-DIY-test-from-Premier-Research-Labs and sure enough it showed pretty severe deficiency. I just started supplementing a week ago, but will give it 6 months to a year before deciding if it helps the diffuse loss. I have Androgenetic Alopecia, but the diffuse loss just seems very odd. Fingers crossed I'm on to something. FYI, I don't supplement above the tolerable upper zinc limit (40mg) and I supplement with copper as well (usually a 10:1 ratio).

10. MeliM

MeliM Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you rva207 . I really need to get some labs done or maybe check out doing them myself like you did. I have a feeling my Vitamin levels are way off. I stopped taking Vitamin D because I didn't think I needed it anymore and I feel that may be the culprit in my increased​ shedding .

11. Scorpi08

Scorpi08 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I feel the same way. I'm 36 years old and my hair has been progressively thinning for about 5-6 years now. Sometimes I have hope that once I balance the many medical issues I've discovered since looking for a solution to my hair loss it will grow back. But I see my part widening so much and it's scary. There are times when I can accept it and have started to look for a topper so I can go on living my life without fear. Many women on these sites say that they felt so much better once they started wearing hair. There are some videos on YouTube of young women who wear toppers/wigs and have totally accepted where they're at. I follow one on Instagram and she was just married. My husband honestly doesn't care about my hair loss. It really will all be ok. I don't think it will be an easy road to acceptance, but we will get there eventually. Oh, and check out Joan Rivers Great Hair Day. It is an awesome scalp concealer that I can swim and sleep in! I never leave home without putting it on...it's been a lifesaver.

12. Amal07

Amal07 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you for your replay.

I'm feeling a lot better these days.I'm shedding still the same,as usual but I have decided that I will try to think positive.For the past couple of days I have been reading about the law of attraction.Long story short,what you think you attract into your life.I was so negative this year,imagening myself bald,unhappy and depressed and to be honest in that state nothing positive can happen and even if it does I was so sad I couldn't noticed it.

Every morning and every night I tell myself that I have a long,thick hair,I appreciate the hair i have now and I picture myself with a hair I used to have and feel excited about it.

I know this my seem like a lost cause but I have nothing to loose and at least I feel positive.

For anyone out there suffering from hair loss,please try this.I know that thoughts can't correct vitamin deficiencies,cure illness but believe me when I say you will feel A LOT better thinking that something wonderful is going to happen.At least this will reduce stress.
    And don't overthink like I used to do EVERY night!! 99% of the things we are afraid never really happen. :) :) :)

hannah x likes this.