Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

I will always be confused...

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by mrvitous26, Mar 6, 2015.

1. mrvitous26

mrvitous26 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I think my hair loss was due to extreme anxiety and stress; however it has been confirmed 3 times that I have Androgenetic Alopecia...

Would the Rogaine be working so effectively if it wasn't Androgenetic Alopecia? I wonder about this because they say it works the best with Androgenetic Alopecia...

Thanks!

2. Kadee

Kadee Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I just posted this in another section, but the two dermatologists I have been to both told me they recommend rogaine for any type of hair loss when they are trying to slow loss and/or get some regrowth going. So, yes, I think it could. I also think even if a biopsy shows Androgenetic Alopecia it's not always that cut and dry because you can have a different answer from a different part of the scalp, etc. .you can have TE or CTE, etc. . . while Androgenetic Alopecia is present, so it's kind of a mixed bag. Thing is -- it's working for you!!!! And, that's fantastic! And, has to be a big relief!! Are you still on the low Spironolactone as well?

3. rva207

rva207 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I think the makers of Rogaine can only legally say it's for those with Androgenetic Alopecia since that was the only type of hairloss in their clinical trials. I would think Rogaine would work on dysfunctional hair follicles regardless of the cause.

4. Nerak

Nerak Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I am almost 99% sure that my recent hairloss was TE (caused by illness, strong medications, stress and a major shock) as the loss and recovery pattern just don't fit anything else.

having said that I expect that a scalp biopsy would show signs of Androgenetic Alopecia due to my family history - it's just not the reason for my hair loss this time.

like Kadee said, it can be a mixed bag.

Rogaine (or a version of) has worked really well for me so far. My doctor told me he would prescribe it for both Androgenetic Alopecia and TE. That's why I didn't get a scalp biopsy straight off because the treatment would be the same either way.

I'd be inclined to stick with it for a while longer if it's working.

5. Wolf924

Wolf924 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Rva- I've been meaning to ask how your Rogaine journey is going for you? Are you still dread shedding? Any scalp discomfort? Signs of regrowth? Side effects? I hope your head looks like a beautiful spring garden with thousands of sprouts!

6. rva207

rva207 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I just hit the 9 week mark. Dread shed lasted from about week 2 to 6. It wasn't awful, but my cowlick areas are harder to conceal, unfortunately. I have a bit more peach fuzz on the side burn area, but I'm sure no one notices except me. I have a lot of regrowth that isn't due to Rogaine so it's hard for me to see what may be growing because of it. I'm hoping that in another 4-8 weeks I'll see obvious regrowth, but only time will tell!

7. mrvitous26

mrvitous26 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks everyone! Yeah I will definitely stick with Rogaine, there is absolutely no question about that!

I just think that what I have is more-so TE at this point. Nerak, you are right it is a mixed bag of things! It's just weird how much hair is growing back and thank god, don't get me wrong I am thankful but at this rate my hair will be back to looking normal. It's a very weird feeling after it got so thin and limp like that...

:shock:

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Kadee, I am on 50 mg of the Spironolactone, I wonder if it is the Spironolactone or Rogaine or both?! I really wish I knew but I never will until I would stop it, trial and error. The very thought of doing so freaks me out though as you can imagine!

- - - Updated - - -

So since Androgenetic Alopecia probably runs in my family, that is what was showing up on the Biposy.

Makes sense...