Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

I'm a model. And was diagnosed with Alopecia Areata.

Discussion in 'Women's Alopecia Areata' started by DianaMiranda, Feb 2, 2008.

1. SAMANTHA07

SAMANTHA07 Guest

i guess i need time.
    i really admire carol,she is such a positive person.

2. DianaMiranda

DianaMiranda Guest

Samantha, I know exactly how you feel. Even if I happen to feel sexy on a particular day, my issues with intimacy (which were already there) have gotten so much worse as a result of losing my hair. Yes, it's growing back (until I get off the Prednisone, of course), and, yes, my male friends have told me I look beautiful, but, I just feel, I can't explain it. On Friday night, I went out to see a friend, and he cooked me dinner and we hung around, and he tried to kiss me, and, I just freaked out. I've kissed him before, but, I couldn't kiss him this time. It's like I suddenly have no attraction to men anymore, or something, and I don't know, is that a side effect of Prednisone? Or maybe it's just because I'm still trying to get adjusted to thinking I'm beautiful without hair. With my wig on, I'm fine, but, sometimes I just feel henious without it. But for every bad day, there is a good one, and, I gotta buck up, because when I get off the steroids, I know there's a chance I could lose it all again, so I feel as though I shouldn't be complaining now, when I still have some hair.

Okay, on another note, I told you all I'd post the photos, and the last one is a special surprise. :D

[​IMG]
    Student. :D :p

[​IMG]
    Model.

[​IMG]
    The real me. Uhm, plus lots of makeup and some good lighting. Hahaha.

Bald (or a little bit of fuzz) can be sexy. I'm so going to bust out this last photo whenever I'm feeling badly, now. And, Samantha, you know what? You should get really dolled up in something pretty and have your husband snap a photo of you, on a day where you feel really positive about yourself bald. Maybe it'd help you feel better to look at it when you're having a down day and remember that you can be sexy without your hair.

3. sgomez33

sgomez33 Guest

Way to go Diana!! You are so gorgous! Who needs hair when they look like you? I wish I looked that good bald.

Regarding intimacy, just take it slow and give yourself time. When you find someone that you are truly in love with and feel safe with it will be different. Don't force yourself to feel something you don't. Trust me, it gets better. :punk:

4. alicat

alicat Guest

You look awesome!!!!

Is your wig HH? I really like it! :)

5. angieangie

angieangie Guest

Wow! You look really amazing! Your wig looks completely natural! I wish mine was that nice. You look really beautiful in the last picture, it's my favourite! :) And you have the perfect body so I'm jealous. Hehe. I just ate a bag of chips and feel bad lol.

It's always hard to be into guys right after hair loss. I had a lot of problems getting intimate with my boyfriend that I'd been with for over a year when I was just getting used to my hair loss. I didn't feel like myself and I felt weird doing the things I normally did.

6. Lee112780

Lee112780 Guest

Absolutly Beautiful!

7. Guest

Guest Guest

..... you looked good with a wig, but you look exceptionally chic, beautiful, feminine and fashionable with your sensual bald look!

you do look as good as some of the beautiful feminine bald women fashion models i have seen!

............. you can wear an attractive wig, a beautiful headscarf, or your sensual bald look, you have some wonderful choices on style!

8. Redheaduk

Redheaduk Guest

Hi DianaMiranda,

You look fab. :jump: And I think the photos show how far you've come since you first started posting. That last photo makes you look totally comfortable with it all. And your wig is amazing. I hope you get lots more work with or without your wig

9. crashanna

crashanna Guest

hubba hubba!!!

The wig is great!! And so is the the bald head!!

Good for you for posting the with and without pics, inspirational to say the least. :bravo:

10. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

DianaMiranda

Where did you get that wig in the pic of you??

11. Guest

Guest Guest

she not only has a good body, she is pretty.

12. DianaMiranda

DianaMiranda Guest

Hahaha. I'm grinning ear to ear. You all are really making me blush. LOL. Thanks guys. Trust me, with the right lighting, tons of makeup, the right pose (to hide the parts of your body that aren't so great), and expensive photo equipment, everyone looks amazing. I don't wake up looking like that, I promise. Hahaha. But thank you guys so much.

I got my wig at Lucinda's in Cheshire, Connecticut. They're hosting the Bald Girls Do Lunch in April, for any of your Connecticut residents who might be attending. ;) It is human hair. I hope my insurance covers it, because the cost was exorbent ($1500), but, well worth it, since those who haven't realized I've lost my hair think it's my real hair (my hair looked a lot like the wig). My professor actually asked me what I did to make my hair look so great the first time I wore my wig (since I was always wearing headscarfs and baseball caps, I guess she didn't realize I didn't have any hair!). Haha. You can bet my whole class was sort of giggling, since most of my classmates had seen me in the dorms without any hair. I was giggling, too.

13. GoodYear

GoodYear Guest

This is all very inspirational and thank you sooo much for sharing this with us.
    Now I know for sure that wigs are great and that bald is too!

14. ofmontreal

ofmontreal Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Absolutely inspiring Diana!
    thank you so much for sharing!
    keep walking tall - you're a beautiful lady and i'm sure the inside matches.

15. Redheaduk

Redheaduk Guest

Hi Diana,

Just wondering if you're about much now and how you're getting on?

E.

16. DianaMiranda

DianaMiranda Guest

Yes. I am here. I've been around, but just not posting anything.

I'm still struggling a bit, at least as far as really missing my long hair. It's grown in, is about an inch long now, but, so much of my life has been affected by my hair loss. I realized that my friends weren't really friends. None of them were there for me when I really needed them during the hair loss process. I still hang out with them, but, I have SO much resentment towards them. I'm quite bitter, and I just can't help but feel they're immature, self-involved (I loved how I'd have my girlfriends complaining about their boyfriends not calling them, or whatever, when I'm sitting in my room alone every night, not getting dates, too scared to even try and venture out with my hair loss before I got the wig, etc). And, my love life took a nose dive. It's not recovering. Which may be correlated with the fact that neither is my confidence. I still feel awful about my appearance on most days. Modeling is okay. I've booked two magazine editorials, shot a few lookbooks, but, my short hair isn't attracting nearly as much work as I'd hoped. I think the worst is the constant "I love your hair like that!" from family and co-workers. It's just a reminder of how much things have changed, how lacking my confidence is after the whole experience, and I'm starting to think it's insincere, and just spoken out of pity. And, also, running into those who don't know about my hair loss. I become quite awkward when they mention my short hair. I don't like to lie, but, if I explain, it's automatic "OH MY GOSH, I'm so sorry", and, besides, I don't really want to talk about it.

Uhm. Yeah. It's not over even when your hair grows in, I guess. I'm giving it time.

17. hairyape

hairyape Guest

I see peach fuzz, Diana!

But with hair, or without, you're beautiful!

18. alicat

alicat Guest

where is peach fuzz?

19. diana,
    you are so pretty, i am sure you could get dates with handsome men. there are many handsome guys who like beauiful women like you who are bald or who have short hair.

maybe your friends didn't mean to be insensitive to you.
    and, you know, they might not know what you are going through.
    they might just figure, well it is only her hair, and she is beautiful even without hair.
    so, you know, they may have not meant to be insensitive to you.............and their problems to them, might seem as difficult as your problems are to you...... bald women don't have a monopoly on problems, you must know that! ;) :)

20. hairyape

hairyape Guest

Hi Alicat!

Peach fuzz is in the last photo.