Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

I'm a model. And was diagnosed with Alopecia Areata.

Discussion in 'Women's Alopecia Areata' started by DianaMiranda, Feb 2, 2008.

1. alicat

alicat Guest

i don't see any photos.

2. Redheaduk

Redheaduk Guest

Hi Diana,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having problems getting your confidence back up. I think you are right when you say that it is your confidence that is making dating difficult rather than your short hair. When people give it all that tripe about beauty coming from within, I think it's not so much being a nice person on the inside that makes you attractive but giving off the aura that you believe you are fantastic.

When you posted your modelling pics ages ago, remember that everyone thought you looked amazing in your wig and with your shaved head. I don't know what your hair is coming in like but your face is what pulls people to you.

With your friends, it's only going to hurt you in the long time to keep hanging out with them and feeling resentment. I think you need to make a decision as to what you want to do: forgive them or find new ones. If I remember rightly, you're just finishing your first year of college? If it's anything like what my first year was, your friends will have been going through a lot of changes too. Nothing as dramatic as losing their hair probably but it's a big adjustment. From my experience, a lot of girls are self-obsessed at this time because there can be a lot of worry over fitting in and seeing whether people like you etc. They probably didn't even realise that you were finding it so hard because they were too busy worrying about themselves.

Also, if you don't want to talk about why your hair is short then don't. Just say you fancied a change - maybe a little bit of mystery is also what you need on the dating front (btw - I don't do mystery, what you see is what you get but I've heard that guys like it. Maybe).

I hope you feel more up on yourself soon. Lots of hugs.

E.

3. GoodYear

GoodYear Guest

Hi Diane,

Well, Redheaduk said it all.
    I am feeling very sorry that you feel so low now. I hope you feel better in time.
    You deserve that!!!
    Lots of hugs, hang in there. Remember we are here for you!

4. frustrated

frustrated Guest

Hi,

I am new to this. Have most of you had a biopsy on the scalp to determine the type of alopecia? I went to a dermatologist and GP who looked at my bald spots and told me that I had Alopecia Areata.

I agree that this is very difficult. Hair is such a trademark for most women. I always was known for my thick long dark brown sleek hair. Now, I have very thin hair with several bald patches that I am finding hard to hide. This all started last March. It is very depressing. As much as I would like to be positive about this, it is not easy. The regrowth of hair in my first bald spot came in gray. Not only am I balding , I am now gray. I feel like I have aged tremendously in the last year. I am only 44. Soooo I do sympathize with you.

You are a very beautiful girl. You will be able to model again. I know it. You are young and healthy. Somehow, we both need to think positive. All the worrying will only make things worse. I know easier said than done, espcially when a new patch develops and the pain in the scalp is a constant reminder something is not right. I guess we really do need this website to keep us positive.

Let's help one another!!

Frustrated

5. Cooper21

Cooper21 Guest

Hi frustrated -- I've been dealing with Alopecia Areata for about 13 months now (on top of massive shedding). From what I hear, when your hair first grows back from Alopecia Areata, it can be gray/white and the pigment files in later. Since I haven't had any regrowth in any of my five spots -- I can't really say that from experience.

Hang in there -- I know how you feel -- it's so frustrating -- your name captures it perfectly.