Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

I'm on Met now

Discussion in 'PCOS Community' started by alicat, Dec 8, 2008.

1. alicat

alicat Guest

Woo hoo! So good to hear that Met really helped you! I hope to be as lucky as you!

2. joshsmommy

joshsmommy Guest

Met worked for me and is THE reason I now have the most adorable 16 month old baby girl. It will work for you too - I just know it.

3. alicat

alicat Guest

YAY! :jump: How lucky you are and how lucky I *hope* to be!

What dose did you take?

4. joshsmommy

joshsmommy Guest

1000mg. And I took it for 3 months into the pregnancy as well, just to make sure the little baby bean got off to a good start. It worked wonders for me.

5. hwag5149

hwag5149 Guest

i love when ppl call them beans :)

6. alicat

alicat Guest

I am going to be taking 1000mg after a few weeks on this dose of 500mg. I hope this helps!!!

How long were on 1000mg before you got your little "bean"?

7. mjh

mjh Guest

Congrats on finally getting on Met! It's supposed to help you conceive. I am sick of trying to get preggo now. Every month I hope for it and every month I get my period. Sigh.

8. reverie

reverie Guest

Ali, I think starting met is a great idea and heaps of baby dust to you!

9. alicat

alicat Guest

Hey, getting your period means something is going right! I don't even get a period, and boy I wish for one. I just want to feel my body do SOMETHING!

Also, I see you're taking 500mg. Do you think you could take more? I have never heard of anyone staying on such a low dose. I wonder if you'd do better on 1000mg. It seems a lot of women get pregnant on that dose (1000mg).

10. mjh

mjh Guest

Your body might be getting used to getting off the pill, thus the delay in your periods. Hopefully everything will straighten out soon! Yeah I need to go back and check in with my doctor. I want to get tested and make sure everything is ok....my biological clock is ticking!

11. hwag5149

hwag5149 Guest

ali do u have pcos or not? I can't remember...

12. alicat

alicat Guest

yeah apparently :(

13. mjh

mjh Guest

It sucks. It caused my hair loss to happen so early. Plus the leg hair and acne. I've always wished that I could be one of those girls who never has to wax or shave.

14. hwag5149

hwag5149 Guest

do you go on soulcysters.com??? they have a whole section on ttc (trying to conceive)... that's actually what most of the posts are about (babies and stuff). It's a PCOS forum incase you didn't know. I'm sure most of the women there ttc are on met... check it out mannnn. You can also ask your bcp question there. Since our (pcos) bodies are different, the answer may be different for us...

15. april k

april k Guest

PCOS can be caused by Insulin Resistance which can cause PCOS. Metformin helps you me more sensitive to your own insulin, which will ultimately help your PCOS.

So, other things that can help with your issue are changing your diet to a lower carb, higher protein one (if you're not already there), and also, you need to be exercising to help make all your muscles less Insulin Resistant.

Good luck,

Dr April

16. hopelina

hopelina Guest

Alicat,
    If you still did not get a period, maybe you can talk to your gyn about inducing a period with progesterone. That's what my RE did with me as I was not getting a period either. I used natural progesteron (Utrogest or Utrogestan is called) and this a vaginal capusules that you have to use 3 times a day.

17. aries

aries Guest

Good luck Ali!

18. alicat

alicat Guest

Still no period, and not pregnant.
    It's been over 2 months now.
    I just upped my dose of Met to 1000mg today. I will give this a little time to see if this dose helps. I've heard 1000mg of Met as being "the dose" that induces a period in women, or get them pregnant etc!

19. hwag5149

hwag5149 Guest

There is also progesterone cream but you have to make sure it is USP and at least 480-500 mg per ounce. It made me have my period after 3 days of using it. You are only supposed to use it after you ovulate, but if you're not ovulating, there are different directions for it....

20. alicat

alicat Guest

I find it funny that when I was younger I HATED getting a period. Now I want one so badly! I just want to feel like my body is working! I feel broken :(