Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

I'm on Met now

Discussion in 'PCOS Community' started by alicat, Dec 8, 2008.

1. hwag5149

hwag5149 Guest

I used to LOVE not having one too, which is why i never went to the dr about it. I can go 2 years without having one. Weird thing is, I got off all my meds, and had spotting last month, now 29 days later I have a full period. But, I do remember MET being responsible for making me regular again. I started with 1000 though and within like a month and a half it came.

2. alicat

alicat Guest

I hope Met helps me out! I can tell now that Diane 35 def helped keep my hormones in check. I noticed like 8 hairs on my chest tonight!!! F**K :(

3. hwag5149

hwag5149 Guest

long dark ones or small, light peach fuzz?

I've heard that bcps kind of mask pcos, but don't actually treat it. And also there are reports that bcps can worsen insulin resistance as well as cause it in people who weren't IR before. The met is going to do you some good. :)

4. alicat

alicat Guest

Oh I'm sure Diane 35 totally masked the symptoms while I was taking it. I can't complain though. The hair are short and dark. I used to get random hairs on my chest, but I hadn't seen any in so long until today! I'll have to pluck 'em out.

I am hoping Met will do me some good. I am now on 1000mg a day. And hey, I haven't had any side effects from it! Yay!

5. kaylee

kaylee Guest

Wow, PCOS can cause hair on the chest!? I never knew that? I hope I dont get that, I'd die!... :crazy:

6. Rainbird984

Rainbird984 Guest

Aww good luck Ali!

For the entire time I've been on the boards I have never seen you be anything but kind, warm, and encouraging to everyone - I think you'll make a great Mom!

:sun: *baby dust* :sun:

Good luck, I've heard lots of good pregnancy success stories on Met also!

7. alicat

alicat Guest

hehe. it's not what you're thinking!!! they are just random short dark ones that come and go with me. i didn't get any for many years until now when i came off of diane 35. i am going to pluck 'em out. they aren't "manly" if you know what i mean?!?! very short and probably only me who notices.

8. alicat

alicat Guest

woo hoo! thank you so much!

9. kaylee

kaylee Guest

phew! :) I haven't noticed any and hopefully my meds will keep them from ever coming!

10. alicat

alicat Guest

Well I've been on Metformin since mid-December. I am on 1000mg still. I called my endo last week to ask if I could up my dose to 1500mg, and he said to call back in in 3-4 weeks and ask him then. See, the reason I asked for more was because I am not responding. I don't think 1000mg is working for me 'cause I haven't had a period since February 28 :( My endo (I guess) thinks this is reasonable and wants me to wait another month to see if I get my period. Arg. Whether I get my period at month 3 or month 4, I'm sorry, but my body is whacked! If I get my period between now and early June, I'm still calling him. I just want to feel normal!!!!!!!!!

Any other Met stories?

11. kaylee

kaylee Guest

:( awww. Did you get your period when you were on diane? I know you cant take it now becuase you're trying for a baby but I am just wondering.
    I dont know if Id go higher on met unless you have too, my mom takes only 500 and it gives her bad cramps and you know what! :(

12. alicat

alicat Guest

Yeah I did get my "period" while on Diane 35. It came every 28 days.

I had 2 period since being on Met. I had one January 14, and another on February 28. That's it. I was happy when I had those two periods 'cause I thought my body was working, but I guess I was wrong. It's been almost 3 months with no period :( Weird! What do I do?

13. kaylee

kaylee Guest

So they all of a sudden they just stopped!? That is strange! :crazy:

Dont you need to be getting a 'period' to get prego? Because you need to ovulate?

14. hwag5149

hwag5149 Guest

you got the "periods" while on bcp because they were withdrawl bleeds. I hear it takes time for us to regulate after taking bcps, but even more so for us with PCOS. Metformin actually regulated me pretty well (the first time around) but I went from 1000 to 1500 in a few weeks and then jumped up to 2000 within a month. And actually it was a slow process. Nothing for the first month, then spotting the next month, then a light 2 day period and so on. But soon it was like clockwork. I know that when i stopped, the periods kept coming, but slowly went back to shorter, lighter then nothing.

before you went on bcp, how were your periods? I remember from fertility friend that if you take b6 (i think), it can help to extend your luteal phase. I know that when I was tracking ovulation, I only MAYBE ovulated once and even then, the luteal phase was only 4 days. :( It's drama when our bodies aren't acting right. I always say I feel like a man.

15. just4today

just4today Guest

I have read on some other boards that met may have contributed to hair loss for some women with PCOS. Has anyone had this experience? Have been on met for about about 8 months and it has not brought on periods. Considering going off, but worried it will make androgens worse. Also on Spironolactone, tried lowering dose recently and after about two months started bad shed. So upped it again. Not sure what to do, I'm afraid of making things worse but also don't want to take met if it is not helping. How does the met lower androgens?

16. alicat

alicat Guest

While on Diane 35 I was getting the withdrawal bleed. I came off of Diane 35 in October, started Metformin in December, and I got a period Jan and Feb--nothing since! I am not sure why my body gave me two periods, and then nothing!

You need to ovulate to get pregnant, yes. However, I have read that a period doesn't=ovulation all the time. This is all so confusing to me!

17. alicat

alicat Guest

my periods were never regular before diane 35. i got my first period when i was 11yo, and it was never EVER normal! :( i would go 2 months to a full year without a period. i feel like a man sometimes too :(

18. kimm

kimm Guest

alicat, I don't understand what the huge hesitation is with upping your met dosage.

I noticed a positive difference in my cycles after going up to 1500 mgs (although my cycles weren't off for that long really)

Have you thought about other methods of insulin sensitizing in the meantime? On soulcysters they talk a lot about cinnamon, apple cider vinegar, magnesium and other methods that might be worth exploring if you're getting antsy. I believe most of those are pretty safe while ttc too.

Just some other thoughts!

Hang in there. My sis has had a rough time conceiving too and is now finally pregnant with her third! (she has pcos too)

19. alicat

alicat Guest

hey thanks kimm!

i am not sure what his hesitation is either! i thought he would say "hey, no prob...let's try 1500" but nooooo, he said to wait another month. for what? so that i can go another month without a period? what's the point?

1500mg just might get my body on track. i'll never know unless my doctor allows me to try it!

i don't feel i'm having trouble ttc just yet! my hubby has barely been home this year, so i have that excuse! :whistle: however, he is home right now *wink*

20. alicat

alicat Guest

Well I had another period! Woo hoo. *laughs*

How does this cycle look?

January 14
    February 28
    June 30

Oh dear :$

Anyway--saw my GP a few days ago. He is going to increase my Metformin dose to 2000mg a day rather than the current 1000mg I take. Obviously it's not doing much. But first he has to get my blood work results back.

This is what I am having checked:

B HCG
    FSH, LH
    Prolactin
    Glucose
    HbA1C
    TSH
    Creatinine
    Sodium
    Potassium
    Chloride
    ALT
    Alk, Phosphatase
    Bilirubin
    Albumin
    Vit. B12
    Ferritin
    CBC
    Free T3 & T4
    Estrogen, Progesterone
    Testosterone and Androgen

I don't even know what all of these are! But at any rate, I'm happy I am finally getting some tests done. I have been on Metformin since December 2008, and I have no clue what my body is doing :(

My GP is just going to let my endo know what is going on. I had to by-pass my endo since he's been seemingly MIA! :sleep: